The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by pink_flamingo
Tomorrow is the day of my interview at BCU. Im SOOO very nervous and want this more than anything. Thanks to those who have already given me some tips. If anyone thinks of anything from their interview (this one is written) please let me know. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks :smile: x

How do you feel it went? I had my fingers crossed for you!
Reply 4181
Hey guys! Has anyone got an offer or going to Queen Margaret for SLT?
Right, hey,
Im studying right now at college for a BTEC health and social care extended diploma (18 units) and i reckon i could complete it and receive D*D*D. I have been emailing many universities that do a undergraduate speech and language therapy course asking what their requirements are and many say that they will not accept the course i am taking. When i took this course i was told that it would be accepted by uni's and now im worried it wont be. The main uni i wanted to go to was City and they replied saying they will not accept my course even though on their website they said they will accept D*D*D. Will any uni accept me?
Original post by SalC
How do you feel it went? I had my fingers crossed for you!

Original post by rach339
How did it go? Sorry I couldn't offer any advice, I cancelled my BCU interview in the end having already decided on other unis. I know how much you want this, I hope it went well for you! :smile:

Hey thanks both. It went quite well actually. As well as can be expected. I found the 30 minute time limit quite tough as I had so much I wanted to write about so sadly the last two questions didnt contain as much detail as id liked cause I wanted to make sure I included everything on a couple of the first questions that i felt were really important. Funny how my writing started neat and small and then by the last question in the last minute I was scrawling away lol. I hope Ive done ok. Oh well will just have to wait and see now. The thing is now ive actually heard about the course and been to the campus, I want it more than ever. I prefer the approach to this course (holistic) more than any of the other SLT courses Ive looked at and I love the campus. I really hope I get an offer. Fingers crossed although i'll try not to get my hopes up too much lol. Thanks for your support, i'll let you know how I get on. They said it may take up to the 9th May for decisions to be made, more waiting :rolleyes: . Sadly im still waiting to hear off DMU who reckon that my Access course does not count as GCSE equivalent which I think is completely wrong and out of order. Ive tried to sort it out with them but they're having none of it. Its the whole point of me doing the Access Course in the first place! I get the feeling they are trying to fob me off because at first they said my application was not in on time and was in the late pile and that they wasn't even going to look at it, luckily that was sorted. Then there was another 'issue' saying my Access Course wasnt up to scratch, anyway that was sorted too and now this! I just don't understand. Anyway BCU is definitely my priority now so Ive just got to sit tight and keep everything crossed. Please keep your fingers crossed for me, I want this more than anything :tongue: Thanks for all your support, advice (and patience with me moaning lol :tongue: ) Cheers x x x
Hey thanks both. It went quite well actually. As well as can be expected. I found the 30 minute time limit quite tough as I had so much I wanted to write about so sadly the last two questions didnt contain as much detail as id liked cause I wanted to make sure I included everything on a couple of the first questions that i felt were really important. Funny how my writing started neat and small and then by the last question in the last minute I was scrawling away lol. I hope Ive done ok. Oh well will just have to wait and see now. The thing is now ive actually heard about the course and been to the campus, I want it more than ever. I prefer the approach to this course (holistic) more than any of the other SLT courses Ive looked at and I love the campus. I really hope I get an offer. Fingers crossed although i'll try not to get my hopes up too much lol. Thanks for your support, i'll let you know how I get on. They said it may take up to the 9th May for decisions to be made, more waiting :rolleyes: . Sadly im still waiting to hear off DMU who reckon that my Access course does not count as GCSE equivalent which I think is completely wrong and out of order. Ive tried to sort it out with them but they're having none of it. Its the whole point of me doing the Access Course in the first place! I get the feeling they are trying to fob me off because at first they said my application was not in on time and was in the late pile and that they wasn't even going to look at it, luckily that was sorted. Then there was another 'issue' saying my Access Course wasnt up to scratch, anyway that was sorted too and now this! I just don't understand. Anyway BCU is definitely my priority now so Ive just got to sit tight and keep everything crossed. Please keep your fingers crossed for me, I want this more than anything :tongue: Thanks for all your support, advice (and patience with me moaning lol :tongue: ) Cheers x x x

Yeah DMU sound like they dont know what they are talking about because I think i know someone who did an access course. I am glad you loved BCU, it really suited me too :smile: Well, all the best, good luck and let us know how you do :smile: not too long now till May :smile: Least you know the deadline is approaching :smile: Keep us updated :smile: This forum seems to be dying down now, noones on it these days. :P x
Original post by Heba94
okay guys seriously, i'm confused. Do we apply for student finance or not. Cus i was told, that u only apply for student finance and get the grants ONLY if ur taking out a loan. But as this is NHS paid, do we not apply? and just wait for the nhs thing to come though? What's everyone else doing? :s-smilie: :colondollar:

You can apply for a Student Finance loan, but only if you need/want the money, this isn't by any means compulsory. You need to apply for the NHS bursary (through the NHSBSA website) even if you know your parents earn over the limit, as this tells the NHS that you need your fees paid by them.

I hope that makes sense. :smile:
Original post by josie2013
Right, hey,
Im studying right now at college for a BTEC health and social care extended diploma (18 units) and i reckon i could complete it and receive D*D*D. I have been emailing many universities that do a undergraduate speech and language therapy course asking what their requirements are and many say that they will not accept the course i am taking. When i took this course i was told that it would be accepted by uni's and now im worried it wont be. The main uni i wanted to go to was City and they replied saying they will not accept my course even though on their website they said they will accept D*D*D. Will any uni accept me?

I do a BTEC health and social care Level 3. what level do you do? i only need DDM to get in. there are a few that dont accept it, but reading, manchester uni, uea, dmu and bcu all accept it for sure :smile: they will probs accept you if they state they accept BTEC level 3 on their website :smile: Hope that helps :smile: x
Reply 4187
hey guys, for all you who have firmed UEA, here's the UEA Speech and Language Therapy 2012 facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...4741289598086/ xxx
Original post by jennie.stollar
I do a BTEC health and social care Level 3. what level do you do? i only need DDM to get in. there are a few that dont accept it, but reading, manchester uni, uea, dmu and bcu all accept it for sure :smile: they will probs accept you if they state they accept BTEC level 3 on their website :smile: Hope that helps :smile: x

Hey, i do level 3 too! hoping to get D*D*D*. Spoke to the careers teacher and she advised me to take occupational therapy as speech and language course prefer A level students and adults that have experience in working in a health setting. Plus they want high GCSE english language grades and i only got a C. I have heard stories too that uni's get a bit funny about accents and stuff? Like some people have told me that if you dont speak proper english they take that as a negative?
anybody accepted leeds met as firm? :smile: I have. also wondering what the situation is with nhs funding... i have no idea what goes on or how to apply or anything.. info online all seems very vague. also, for anyone who has accepted leeds met, what accommodation have you applied for/ are you applying for? I'm not sure how many weeks the course is so i'm totally stuck! thanks aaallll :smile:
Original post by ellied
Ahh right! I emailed about accommodation and had no reply so I'm guessing they're away for easter. Leeds didn't have any interview/written interview process so there's still time.. Stay positive!

Yeah ive firmed Leeds met and insured MMU combined honours

hi, I've also firmed leeds met :smile: what accommodation have you applied for? im confused about which one to go for because its a longer course xx
Original post by ellied
Is there a group/anyone else for Leeds Met? I seem to be the only one at the minute!

meeee!! :smile: is there a fb group or anything? what accommodation have you applied for ? :smile:
Hey, i do level 3 too! hoping to get D*D*D*. Spoke to the careers teacher and she advised me to take occupational therapy as speech and language course prefer A level students and adults that have experience in working in a health setting. Plus they want high GCSE english language grades and i only got a C. I have heard stories too that uni's get a bit funny about accents and stuff? Like some people have told me that if you dont speak proper english they take that as a negative?

I have a big ugly and noticeable South Yorkshire accent and I got offers from both of my interviewing uni's, so it can't be too important! :smile:
Original post by MathildaGrace
Yes! I agree with Julie, at least you know you're definetly going somewhere : D ! Eeep just think in three/four years you'll be a qualified SLT! Have you finished all your exams now then? xxxx

hey im sorry i havent been on here in sooo long!! how is everything going for you!? :smile: xx
Reply 4194
I have heard stories too that uni's get a bit funny about accents and stuff? Like some people have told me that if you dont speak proper english they take that as a negative?

It doesnt matter what your accent is, as long as you can transcribe standard and disordered english then you are absolutely fine! The key isnt in the speaking, its in the listening :smile:
I have heard stories too that uni's get a bit funny about accents and stuff? Like some people have told me that if you dont speak proper english they take that as a negative?

Wow scary. Hope this is not true due to my strongish brummie accent lol. People cant help it though can they? I can understand if a person tries to talk in slang talk or with attitude rather than being professional like 'ain't' instead 'have not' or 'innit' instead of isn't it but an accent is something you cant do much about. Luckily I live in Birmingham and applied for Birmingham City so they should be used to it lol.

you will be fine getting into uni aslong as you get relevant experience, although maybe it might be true about the english but I dont think that would stop you getting into uni to study SLT :smile: do what you are interested in and what you feel suits you :smile: and accents wouldnt stop you from getting in either, aslong as you can understand and listen to people and all the other stuff, loads of people come from all different places to do SLT so I'm sure it wouldnt matter :smile:
I still find it funny that I am going to study SLT in birmingham where lots of people seem they cant speak properly :P I'm kinda hoping a pick up an accent because it would be funny hehe :biggrin: good luck with it all :smile: x
Wow scary. Hope this is not true due to my strongish brummie accent lol. People cant help it though can they? I can understand if a person tries to talk in slang talk or with attitude rather than being professional like 'ain't' instead 'have not' or 'innit' instead of isn't it but an accent is something you cant do much about. Luckily I live in Birmingham and applied for Birmingham City so they should be used to it lol.

Yeahh because i have a strong Essex accent so its sometimes looked down upon as like me saying aint and stuff like that, But i can control it sometimes in different situations haha,
Hey! Has anyone heard from the NHS yet? .....
Original post by dibdobmichaela
Hey! Has anyone heard from the NHS yet? .....

Nope - but I think they said sometime towards the end of May - so a few weeks to go, yet. :smile:

Quick Reply