The Student Room Group

King's College London Postgraduate Applications 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
All the applications for the course I applied for is only going to be assessed AFTER the 8 May *damn*. I was told this almost two weeks ago....The waiting is nauseating :frown:

Then there's the wait to find out if I'll be selected for a bursary, which I so need (and this hinges on me securing a place on the course).

:biggrin:

I just received an email from the admissions admin, telling me I've been short-listed for interview (to see if this is the right course for me :rolleyes:). This will only happen in early June :mad:

I also had to choose my top 4 choices of research projects (from a long list) in order of preference. They now have to get those people to be available to interview me.

The wait continues. But I'm happy I at least got an interview as there's only 6 places available each year on this programme :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Got accepted for MSc Robotics and MSc Intelligent Systems after waiting for one week :biggrin: Waiting for Imperial's decision before I respond though.
Original post by superawesomepanda
Got accepted for MSc Robotics and MSc Intelligent Systems after waiting for one week :biggrin: Waiting for Imperial's decision before I respond though.

Congratulations are in order. Well done. When were you notified?
Just yesterday. Have a month to respond to the decision. Its my 2nd choice :biggrin:
Reply 384
when is the deadline of applying for a postgraduate degree?
Original post by zziippoo

All the way up to September technically, although whether your application will be looked at, or whether the course you want to apply for has a place, is debatable.
Original post by zziippoo

If you look up the prospectus, they'll usually state it. Like mine was July-something.
Reply 387
Well I got my AHRC rejection email today saying the funding has been given to someone else. Means I probably won't be going this year, there's just no earthly way I can find £7500 for fees plus £10k+ for living in London. The max Professional Development Loan is only £10k, and that I couldn't pay off during a PhD.
Original post by martiantj
Well I got my AHRC rejection email today saying the funding has been given to someone else. Means I probably won't be going this year, there's just no earthly way I can find £7500 for fees plus £10k+ for living in London. The max Professional Development Loan is only £10k, and that I couldn't pay off during a PhD.

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: What were you applying for? I'm currently waiting on baited breath for AHRC news from King's....

Edit: Oh crap, not any more :frown: Not surprising considering the limited number of awards availible, but still feels like a punch to the stomach
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got rejected for the international scholarship as well. But guys, if we're meant to go to King's, to King's we'll go. If not, then we'll have to accept that too.
Original post by superawesomepanda
Just yesterday. Have a month to respond to the decision. Its my 2nd choice :biggrin:

Cool, better get your deposit ready :wink:
Reply 391
Is anyone going to the arts and humanities open evening on May 16th (I'm not incapable of using grammar properly but the question mark key on my laptop isn't working!) I am, if I can get it off work :smile:

Commiserations, etc, to everyone who got a funding rejection email today :frown:

I haven't heard anything, good or bad. I'm assuming the response times are different for different types of funding/different courses though...wish they'd hurry up!
Reply 392
Original post by Whirlm
Is anyone going to the arts and humanities open evening on May 16th (I'm not incapable of using grammar properly but the question mark key on my laptop isn't working!) I am, if I can get it off work :smile:

Commiserations, etc, to everyone who got a funding rejection email today :frown:

I haven't heard anything, good or bad. I'm assuming the response times are different for different types of funding/different courses though...wish they'd hurry up!

Not sure whether I'll go.. It could be very informative- especially for me as an international student and a little trip to London wouldn't be too bad (love that city). But I have my final exams here in Copenhagen in late May so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave my studies...

Anyway, what course are you gonna attend?
Reply 393
Original post by Ardilla
But I have my final exams here in Copenhagen in late May so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave my studies...

I don't think I'd be going if I was travelling all the way from from Denmark! :smile: At least London's only a few hours on the train for me. I've never actually seen the Kings campus or anything and I felt I should at least go get a look at the place! What course are you planning to do (question mark on keyboard still not working...) I've got a place on the Film Studies MA for september and have just had a year off to work, I'm sort of looking forward to being a student again!

Good luck with the exams in May! :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by Whirlm
I don't think I'd be going if I was travelling all the way from from Denmark! :smile: At least London's only a few hours on the train for me. I've never actually seen the Kings campus or anything and I felt I should at least go get a look at the place! What course are you planning to do (question mark on keyboard still not working...) I've got a place on the Film Studies MA for september and have just had a year off to work, I'm sort of looking forward to being a student again!

Good luck with the exams in May! :smile:

It's only hours flight (and a cheap flight too! ). I was in London back in Novemer, and had a look at Strand campus. It's amazing! Looking so much forward to start studying there.

I've got a place on the MA in World History & Cultures... I'm sort of a history geek I suppose :smile:. King's History dept. is at the top floor on strand campus overlooking the Thames- pretty great!

Anyway, if I were you, I'd definitely go have a look. At least to get some info on accomodation in London (which is a complete nightmare for me!)
Commiserations to everyone who didn't get funding :frown: I still haven't got any official emails. I did email my department weeks ago and they told me that I was reserved but that it was unlikely that those offered the award would step back. The thing that annoyed me is that they didn't actually bother to tell me before I emailed them.
Reply 396
I've got a place on the MA in World History & Cultures... I'm sort of a history geek I suppose :smile:. King's History dept. is at the top floor on strand campus overlooking the Thames- pretty great!

That sounds amazing! And I've heard King's history department is meant to be really good.

I love the idea of living in London. I've started looking for accomodation and there are more affordable places than you'd think, so it's not all bad news :smile: I also think that if you're an EU postgrad student they'll prioritise you for places in halls, although I'm not sure if that's right or not. My boyfriend is moving to London with me so we're going to get a cheap studio between us, probably going to move in August sometime.... I'm sort of torn between wanting to leave my current job as soon as possible, and needing to save as much as possible before I go!

Also, Corinna - that must be really frustrating :frown: if they've already made the funding decisions, then they should notify people formally.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Whirlm
That sounds amazing! And I've heard King's history department is meant to be really good.

I love the idea of living in London. I've started looking for accomodation and there are more affordable places than you'd think, so it's not all bad news :smile: I also think that if you're an EU postgrad student they'll prioritise you for places in halls, although I'm not sure if that's right or not. My boyfriend is moving to London with me so we're going to get a cheap studio between us, probably going to move in August sometime.... I'm sort of torn between wanting to leave my current job as soon as possible, and needing to save as much as possible before I go!

Also, Corinna - that must be really frustrating :frown: if they've already made the funding decisions, then they should notify people formally.

hey, can I ask you where you managed to find reasonable accommodation? I have a funded offer from RHUL (my first choice out of the London unis) but I am considering living in London (it is a bit outside London) so that I can access the libraries etc. but everything I find is either far from the centre or ridiculously expensive. I want something in Zone 1-2 basically, cause if I am gonna spend 1 hour in travelling to the libraries per day I'd rather stay at RHUL and travel to London once a week or so (which again would take about an hour so really, it's only worth being in London if I'm central)
Reply 398
Original post by Whirlm

I've found one or two affordable places too, but the thing is that it's impossible to find anything from Denmark. I'd really like to have a look at a place before agreeing to anything. Can you recommend any websites for accommodation search?

I totally understand your so eager to leave and get going! And it'll probably feel like centuries before we reach August/September! Personally, I can't wait either.
Reply 399
I've been browsing using the followings sites - obviously I will need to actually go and view properties and stuff before making a decision... I've also specifically been looking for a studio where the rent can be split between two people, which has made some options more affordable for me than they would be for someone looking on their own!

The's quite a few flat shares and house shares out here though, which is good for students :smile: I have a few friends who live in London, although none of them live in zones 1 or 2 - they'e all a bit further out. Travel time and costs is something that worries me- I don't like long commutes! My parents actually live an hour away from London, so in theory I could live with them, but I wouldn't want to spend all my time travelling!

http://www.findaproperty.com/to-rent/central-london/1-or-more-beds.properties

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/London.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&minBedrooms=1&maxBedrooms=1&displayPropertyType=flats&oldDisplayPropertyType=flats&radius=0.25&index=30

http://www.cheaproomslondon.co.uk/shared-twin-rooms-london-flat-share-house-share-and-room-share-basis
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending