The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

China & Malaysia campus questions

wow I've just saw that Nottingham has campuses in Asia, the prospect of studying there seems amazing!
I have many questions but i will try keep this brief :wink:

1. does applying to these campuses count as one of your UCAS 5 uni applications or do you apply as an international student?
2. how much does it cost per year?
3. in most courses there is a "preliminary year" and by the sounds of it that means learning English for a year, would a UK student need to take that?

Reply 1
I would say that you need to apply for university of Nottingham (in uk) and once you're there I think you get a chance to study abroad in one of those campuses. I think this option is only available in the second year onwards however I'm not fully sure.

All I know about the fees is that I think its lower than the £9000 but not sure by how much

Sorry I can't be much more of a help
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I can't speak for China, but the booze is relatively cheap in Malaysia. Unfortunately the local students are likely to be emotionally very immature and I wouldn't rate your chances of having too much fun and the prospect of getting laid would tend toward zero.
Reply 3
Original post by vabbian
wow I've just saw that Nottingham has campuses in Asia, the prospect of studying there seems amazing!
I have many questions but i will try keep this brief :wink:

1. does applying to these campuses count as one of your UCAS 5 uni applications or do you apply as an international student?
2. how much does it cost per year?
3. in most courses there is a "preliminary year" and by the sounds of it that means learning English for a year, would a UK student need to take that?

I can answer for the Malaysian campus but not the China one :smile:
1. You do not use UCAS to apply; you apply directly to the Malaysian campus itself. Alternatively, you can transfer there for a year (I think) if you're a student in the UK campus.
2. Roughly RM35,000 for international students I think. Converted, it'll be roughly £7300.
3. Never heard of such "preliminary year" but as a citizen from an English-speaking country you don't need to take any English courses.

The area around the uni is actually quite deserted lol. Not sure if they have pubs and nightclubs around the uni area but there are plenty in Kuala Lumpur. Which is less than an hour from the uni and tbh, public transports in Malaysia is quite ****ty. There's no bar on campus though (Malaysia is technically a muslim country).

Not all of us are very emotionally immature (but yes, I admit a large portion of us are) and it's a great place if you can live with the weather. Don't listen to Clip.
Reply 4
Apply direct to Ningbo (UNNC) - cheaper than the UK. Only need to do a Three year course as the first year is learning EAP (in theory you should be OK as a UK student!). Also, if you do Computer Science or any of the N+N courses, the final years are spent in the UK, but you pay in China at Chinese rates :-)

Plenty of nightlife in Ningbo and Shanghai is just over the bay. Used to be a 4 hour drive, but since they stuck a bridge in thats down to 2 hours.

All of the "Chinese/Malaysian students are less emotionally mature" whiners - I think you mean "they have more self respect than I am used to and wouldn't let me plant a flag". If you really want that sort of thing, go to Laowaitan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending