The Student Room Group

Do you reccomend going on a gap year before or after Uni?

Scroll to see replies

I did mine before university, but as fees are increasing, and a delay this year could cause you to pay £9,000 a year, I'd say after now.
Original post by michpl09
i went on a gap year before Uni. It helped me with costs and living away from home. Its up 2 you a and you can always decide at the last minute to take a gap year, I only decided 4 months before I started Uni.

I am more in favour of going before uni as well. Yes, I suppose that is true however I would like to plan my gap year well in advance so that I can make a better decision.

Original post by Admor1994
I think that it depends. If you think that you will need to get a job to fund your uni fees straight away then going before uni is best.

However, if you aren't bothered about paying uni fees straight away then a gap year can then a way of getting jobs and working with lots of different people. All of which employers will love.

Overall, I think that it is best to go before (which is what I am going to do) because it give you a chance to step away from education for a bit which will probably be beneficial in the long term.

I was actually considering travelling around so this will actually probably put me more in debt!!! However I will hopefully work when I am travelling but it will cost a heck of a lot to travel in the first place.

I am also more in favour of going on a gap year before for exactly the same reason - I need a break from education to 'recharge my batteries' and then after the gap year I can work hard for another 3 years.

Original post by BlueJoker
I'm going after, because then I pretty much have unlimited time to travel wherever I want - I'm planning to get working visa's for various places to earn money, and slumming it when I'm low on cash. Also, I didn't think I was mature enough to cope with being in a foriegn country alone, so I'd rather learn to be a responsible adult in uni where everyone speaks my language and my parents are only a few hours away :biggrin:

Well now I am more in favour of going before (although I am still considering going after Uni). I can understand what you are saying that you will have a lot more time, however if I went before I would still have a lot of time (a whole year) which is plenty of time to travel to many countries. I am planning on going to about 8-10 countries in Asia, so I can spend a month or two in each country.

Original post by Lizia
I'd recommend after, unless you have a very specific plan of what you want to do, and the money to make it decent. I took a gap year before uni, and feel like it was a bit of a waste of time. If you go after uni, you have a larger time frame to do things in- you aren't restricted to a year. A lot of people I know had to work for six months, and then go off and do fun things for six months, and regretted that they couldn't do the fun things for longer.

It would be better, imo, to save during uni (it's possible, and you can get a part time job on top). Then you come out of uni and can go straight onto whatever you want to do, without having to find a well paid job for six months (which isn't easy) before you can leave. And that way you can spend as long as you like doing the fun bits of your 'gap year', not thinking "I have to be back in September, even though I don't want to leave this awesome place".

Well I know I want a career in sport, and I will do a sports course at Uni (probably sports management). I know I want to go to Asia on my gap year (specifically south east asia) although I am not sure what I want to do yet (however I still have plenty of time as I am a first year student at College).

I can see where you are coming from when you mention that going on a gap year after Uni allows you to travel for longer. However if I go to about 8-10 countries in Asia BEFORE Uni, I can go to each country for a month or two and this will take up a whole year of travelling.

That's true, but I could go on a gap year beforehand and work during Uni as well to pay off the debts I got from travelling. And I am looking forward to going to Uni so I wouldn't exactly be thinking "I have to be back in September, even though I don't want to leave this awesome place". Instead I will be thinking "I don't want to leave this amazing place, but even when I do I will be in another amazing place at University!"
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I did mine before university, but as fees are increasing, and a delay this year could cause you to pay £9,000 a year, I'd say after now.

I am in the first year of College, so even if I do not go on a gap year, I will still have to pay £9,000. So if I go on a gap year before Uni I will have to pay £9000 for Uni, but if I go after Uni I will still have to pay £9,000. So either way I am going to have to pay the £9000!!!
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
I am in the first year of College, so even if I do not go on a gap year, I will still have to pay £9,000. So if I go on a gap year before Uni I will have to pay £9000 for Uni, but if I go after Uni I will still have to pay £9,000. So either way I am going to have to pay the £9000!!!

I see! I would say before then. :smile:
Original post by Lizia
You say you'd pay off the debts you accumulated during the year, but where would you get the money from in the first place? If you mean an overdraft, you'd have to pay interest on it (possibly for a long time, since you won't be able to work that many hours at uni), which is obviously a worse idea that saving the money and then spending it. Eight to ten months in Asia is cheaper than backpacking around Europe, but it would still cost a lot.

Looking forward to uni doesn't mean you wouldn't be gutted to leave somewhere if you really like it. I know quite a few people who were super enthusiastic about uni, but still felt it was a bit of a disappointment to come back and start because they just found they loved their gap year locations that much. So it's something you really have to consider. Uni might seem like "another amazing place" at the moment, but that's compared to your life now at college in the town you've lived for ages. It doesn't seem quite as awesome when the place you're in at the time is basically all the fun of uni (lots of free time, the drinking, meeting new people) but with the benefits of no responsibility (no studying and essay deadlines, you can move on when you're bored).

Ultimately, it's obviously your choice. Just some things to think about. I guess if you're basically just doing a standard gap year and then carrying on in the UK going straight into work and on, then either before or after uni work as well as each other, if you have a viable financial backing. If you're more into spontaneous travel and 'seeing where the wind takes you' with regards to career etc then after uni is the obvious better choice.

I would get the money from the savings my parents have made for me throughout my whole life. My parents and grandma would pay for some of it (as they are fairly wealthy but also really kind and supportive) although they would not pay all of it. I may do some work when I am in Asia as well which should help.

I suppose your second paragraph is true.

Thanks for that, I know its my choice at the end of the day but (as you said) I need lots of help and guidance because I have never done anything like this before.

One other possibility is to travel during the Summer. Since you get massive summer holidays when at Uni (I think it is 3 months), I could travel to some of Asia for 3 months, then the next year for another 3 months (and if I really wanted to, I could go again for a little bit after that!!)
Reply 25
i took two years before i came to uni, i don't regret it as i'm going to do another year afterwards (maybe more who knows?) so obviously i loved it, but if you had to choose i would go after.
uni just simply didn't live up to its hype when i got here, everybody was excited about being away from home, meeting new people etc etc and i felt like it was tainted cos i'd had these awesome two years that i didn't really want to end.
i'd say, go to uni and have a blast, then go travelling. the world isnt going anywhere. :smile: (i hope at least, aha :s-smilie: )
Reply 26
Original post by hamburgerandbeans

One other possibility is to travel during the Summer. Since you get massive summer holidays when at Uni (I think it is 3 months), I could travel to some of Asia for 3 months, then the next year for another 3 months (and if I really wanted to, I could go again for a little bit after that!!)

That's a good idea, the summer holidays are long & I'm planning on maybe doing the same. The only thing is, will you need to work in the holidays to fund the next year living costs etc? That's something thats holding me back from just jumping on a plane!
Original post by Samz
That's a good idea, the summer holidays are long & I'm planning on maybe doing the same. The only thing is, will you need to work in the holidays to fund the next year living costs etc? That's something thats holding me back from just jumping on a plane!

Hmmmm. I am in the first year of College at the moment and I am looking for a job. If I can get a job, I will just save up this year and next year and this should be enough (plus some of my money I have at the moment, some of my grandma's money as she is happy to give me some and my parents may give me a little as well).
Original post by Lizia
Fair enough, it doesn't seem money will be an issue (lucky you!) :smile:

I think the summer holidays sounds like a good plan. I'm doing the same basic trip you're planning this summer (between second and third years), and I know people who have done South America in the same time frame, so there's definitely time to do it. You can then consider it a kind of 'trial run' to see if you'd actually enjoy long term travelling before you plunge into an eight month trip with no real prior experience. Lots of people simply don't like travelling for extended periods of time, so it would be a good chance to test the waters for yourself. And then if you did decide you want to go for even longer after graduation, you can do it knowing you'll love it! It would also give you ideas of where to go or return to if you do a longer trip. :smile:

Money will still be an issue, but not as much of an issue as some others will have.

Yes, your second point is really good and was kind of what I was considering.

Thanks!!
I suppose it works both ways. You could say 'before' because when you go to University you would be more mature and able to live without your parents easily. However you could also say 'after uni' because when you go on your gap year you will be more mature and able to live without your parents easily.
Reply 30
Facing the same dilemma, my main concern is whether it might be a bit odd starting uni and being a year older than pretty much everyone else who's starting?

What do you reckon?
Reply 31
Hey nothing wrong with being a year older! Lots of people head to uni later in life these days, you'll probably find you're in lectures with people in their 20s. Plus a gap year is an amazing experience that you should go for if you can, there's a useful article here about hot to plan http://www.realgap.co.uk/gap-travel-advice/planning-gap-year
I planned on doing a gap year before university, only to realise I really don't have the money to do the things I really want to do (stay in one country for at least a few months, instead of a few days due to hostel prices soaring out of the roof) and I've already done three years at college so I'm heading to university this year instead. I'm 19 myself and I'm not worried about going to university late, I know lots of people of different ages go.

It depends what type of person you are, if you have the confidence at 18/19 to go and explore the world, along with the money, then go for it. You don't have to worry about getting into a job when you get back, you have university to look forward too. If you're eager to get your degree out of the way, then travel afterwards, lots of people do it and lots of people travel to places a lot whilst at university due to the opportunities that come up (you can study for a year in another country at another university). Usually people afterwards get a bank loan to go travel the world and do lots of activities and see lots of places, a few grand on top of a 40 grand debt really isn't going to make a difference in the long run, you'll always be paying the darn thing back unless you earn huge amounts. Plus with the advantage of adding to the debt, though it's not wise, you do get to travel the globe which is vital to some people, like myself. Living is now, you're only young once, see the world when you're fresh and have lots to learn, the career and paying back the debt can come later on in life.
i am currently on a gap year cause i was wanted to go to work instead of uni but then i changed my mind so i applied to start uni this year
Before and after, that's what I plan to do - Make the most of the time you have before it's gone!
I'm in no rush to start working etc, there's far too much of the world to see and so little time.

As for the money issue - you can work in this country before you go off travelling, or work in a foreign country whilst you travel. I did this, and lots of other people do too. Saying you don't have the money is a cop out!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm currently on a gap year before uni and loving it. I haven't gone travelling but have instead chosen to do a bit of work, a short course in the subject I'm going to be studying at uni and some volunteering. Taking a gap year where you do a bit of work and study allows you to save money and gain experience which means you can build and diversify your CV. So many graduates are coming out of uni and struggling to find work that they end up taking a gap year type of thing where they do bit work or travel a bit.

It's up to you when you take your gap year. I'd just recommend that it's productive and lets you experience something relevant to what you want to do or helps you gain confidence and maturity.

I wouldn't be too worried about going to uni and being older than others. Nowadays people take several years between school and uni for various different reasons. No one really cares how old you are when you at uni. There's not much different between a lovely person who's 18 or 19 or an annoying person who's 18 or 19. Except maybe you just judge the 19yr old annoying person slightly more as you'd hope that being 'more mature' might actually make them so. Not always the case apparently.

Even though I haven't gone travelling round the world, taking a working gap year still puts you out of your comfort and familiarity zone, forcing you to learn how to write a CV, covering letter or fill out a job application form, go to interviews, get rejected and start all over again. Now when I look at all the stuff my university offers, instead of being drawn to what the halls look like I'm looking at all the different clubs and activities I can do, the different qualifications I can gain that might be useful (like Lifesaving and BSL) and the many ways you can get involved in the Student Union as well as paid work.
A gap year after uni? You mean a holiday? I had a gap year before uni as in I took a year out of education to work and earn some money.
I'm on a gap year at the moment before Uni and so glad I chose to come before. My boyfriend and I had planned it since the start of 6th form but then started doubting if we should still go because of the fee rises. Anyway we decided to just go for it and it's been the best decision. It's such a cliche but it really has made me see things from a different perspective and you appreciate your home comforts a lot more when you've spent 9 months in some hideous hostels! But it's all part of the fun and you meet some amazing/weird/horrible people!!

We spent 6 months in Australia, travelling the East Coast and occasionally working. Now we're in New Zealand, we've been here about 3 months and leaving soon to go home :frown: I don't think Uni will be a let-down after travelling, just a different experience and I plan to travel more after Uni anyway! :smile:
Reply 38
really really don't recommend it! worst mistake i've ever made! sorry:/

Quick Reply

Latest