The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
So far behind on TC applications! This semester needs to hurry up and finish so I can get started already!
Reply 561
Original post by hmaus
That's my firm and I hadn't seen it! I can't believe they thought this was a good idea given how much criticism there has been lately about auctioning internships.

Original post by v3n0m06
My firm too - also haven't heard about this until just now. Probabaly not a great idea, even with good intentions...

I think you two should take your complaints to the top!
Reply 562
I JUST LOVE...when you've been on your vac scheme, heard other people have had offers made earlier today... and still grad recruitment can't make the effort to send a rejection email while you're sat by the phone like an idiot. It's just so attentive.
Reply 563
Hello!

I recently went for a TC Interview and heard today (via post) that I got the job... the only thing is that there was 4 TCs to be had and they have given me a TC which appears to commence on 1st January 2013 following a 6 months period working in their Conveyancing department.

Now i understand full why they would want to limit the offer of a TC on that basis.

BUT

From my point of view, the letter states the period of employment in their conveyacning department is limited to 6 months. So presumably if I don't do well enough to get the TC i am unemployed.

Furthermore, I have worked as a paralegal at 2 years prior experience working as a paralegal and have been promised a TC before. With firms saying.. well the market has gone down etc.

At the moment I am paid £3,000 more than then I would be if i accept their offer! And I know I have job security.

My concerns arise from the fact I have recently got a mortgage and cannot imagine the stress losing a job would cause.

Thoughts?
Reply 564
Original post by hmaus
That's my firm and I hadn't seen it! I can't believe they thought this was a good idea given how much criticism there has been lately about auctioning internships.

I used to think this kind of thing was bad. Now, I just don't care. In the grand scheme of things, I don't see what possible harm it can do.
Reply 565
Original post by Clip
Email from Schillings today (I hadn't applied yet) saying they weren't taking any more trainees.

I got this as well. I applied for TC and VS as they were the only place with VS's still open when I decided to sign up for this slog! So at least you got rejected without even doing the application!

Going to get cracking with a few TC applications over the weekend. Not hoping for a lot, but should be good practice for winter workshops and this time next year.
Original post by Rosey2
I JUST LOVE...when you've been on your vac scheme, heard other people have had offers made earlier today... and still grad recruitment can't make the effort to send a rejection email while you're sat by the phone like an idiot. It's just so attentive.

You might be on the reserve list or receive a phone offer tomorrow.

You won't know until it happens. Be patient until then.
Reply 567
Original post by emilybradstreet
You might be on the reserve list or receive a phone offer tomorrow.

You won't know until it happens. Be patient until then.

By that rationale, I'm waiting for Pippa Middleton to call me back about that night out.
Reply 568
I have just received a confirmation email of a TC application I have sent. It is an automated response to people applying to either the summer VC or a TC. It says that applications will not be considered until after the deadline. Does this apply to both or only the VC? As I was under the impression all TC apps were considered on a rolling basis...
Original post by stefwad75
I have just received a confirmation email of a TC application I have sent. It is an automated response to people applying to either the summer VC or a TC. It says that applications will not be considered until after the deadline. Does this apply to both or only the VC? As I was under the impression all TC apps were considered on a rolling basis...

I have had TC apps which say 'we will respond after the deadline..'. I understood it that some were rolling applications, some waited. I'm applying to few slightly smaller firms (no MC/SC) and the majority of those seem to say they wait until after the deadline, so perhaps there's a correlation between size and likelihood of a rolling applications process? (that's just my speculation, mind)
Reply 570
Original post by scribble_girl
I have had TC apps which say 'we will respond after the deadline..'. I understood it that some were rolling applications, some waited. I'm applying to few slightly smaller firms (no MC/SC) and the majority of those seem to say they wait until after the deadline, so perhaps there's a correlation between size and likelihood of a rolling applications process? (that's just my speculation, mind)

Yeah, that sounds likely. This is my first round of TC apps and for some reason I thought that though there are some restrictions on when offers can be made, firms would still review applications and invite successful candidates for ACs/interviews before the deadline...
Original post by Clip
By that rationale, I'm waiting for Pippa Middleton to call me back about that night out.

Did you spend a night with Pippa?

Hope you avoid that automated rejection email from her tomorrow then!
Reply 572
Original post by emilybradstreet
Did you spend a night with Pippa?

Hope you avoid that automated rejection email from her tomorrow then!

No, I only applied for one. I'm going to start on thread on TSR asking what my chances are of getting it. I'd be a better candidate, but I've had health problems and a bereavement.
Original post by Clip
No, I only applied for one. I'm going to start on thread on TSR asking what my chances are of getting it. I'd be a better candidate, but I've had health problems and a bereavement.

Have you had enough relevant experience? I've dated half the cabinet and a few of the Made In Chelsea cast but I'm worried that my lack of nights out with bona fide royals is going to stand in my way.
Reply 574
Original post by scribble_girl
Have you had enough relevant experience? I've dated half the cabinet and a few of the Made In Chelsea cast but I'm worried that my lack of nights out with bona fide royals is going to stand in my way.

No work experience, but I have done a Duke of Edinburgh's Bronze. I was thinking that I'd just take her for a few kir royales and see how we're doing. Hence....

"What are my chances at the bar?"

Boom boom.
Original post by Clip
No work experience, but I have done a Duke of Edinburgh's Bronze. I was thinking that I'd just take her for a few kir royales and see how we're doing. Hence....

"What are my chances at the bar?"

Boom boom.

Oh, I love it when a joke comes together :cool:
Reply 576
When people say VC, what does the C stand for?
Reply 577
Original post by Wildcard
When people say VC, what does the C stand for?

Haha. Sorry. That was me mixing up my TC and VS!!!
Reply 578
Anyone had CMS assessment day? Care to shed some light?

Thanks
Reply 579
Original post by stalky234
Anyone had CMS assessment day? Care to shed some light?

Thanks

I don't know about CMS, but there are confidentiality contracts on some of these things.

***EDIT negs*** Of course! How silly of me! I just hallucinated signing one!
***EDIT more negs*** Why wouldn't you take a confidentiality contract seriously?? - it's not like you're wanting to become corporate lawyers or anything?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest