The Student Room Group

Sainsburys at Chipping Norton - anyone seen David Cameron?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mufasaa
No, but I see other regular people like Rebekah Brooks and Jeremy Clarkson in there all the time.

Don't know how decent people can bear to shop in Sainsburys Chipping Norton if you have to bump into the likes of those two.
Original post by zara55
Are there any students out there who live in the Cotswolds? Or who happen to frequent Chipping Norton?

If so, have you seen David Cameron in Sainsburys of a Friday night? I ask because according to his recent interview with the BBC, he's in there all the time with the common people shopping for milk and stuff. (Not that there are many common people in Chipping Norton, but you get the idea.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17819623

All sightings discussed and gratefully received.

I used to go to school near Chipping Norton, although back then the supermarket was a Safeways.

I guess he wants to live with common people, he wants to sleep with common people like you....
Reply 42
Original post by zara55
It's not "ulterior" and it's not a "rant" - I've stated quite openly that he was caught in an obvious lie - that he's in Sainsburys every Friday evening shopping for the family - that I don't personally dislike him but I do think he's not fit to be PM and that this is another indicator of the way in which his background of automatic privilege makes him act this way.

Do people realise for example that his first job in the Tory Party, at Tory HQ, was obtained for him after a direct phone call from the Palace to the Chairman of the Party at the time?

It's all of a piece.

Why should people care where he shops? If you are worried about it being a lie, it is the most irrelevant one ever. It is not even related to his background, all politicians do it.

It doesn't matter how he got on the first rung of the ladder does it? It doesn't change his competence as PM! If he wasn't a good candidate, the Conservatives wouldn't have chosen him to run and he would have remained a back office nobody.
Reply 43
Original post by ForKicks
Why should people care where he shops? If you are worried about it being a lie, it is the most irrelevant one ever. It is not even related to his background, all politicians do it.

It doesn't matter how he got on the first rung of the ladder does it? It doesn't change his competence as PM! If he wasn't a good candidate, the Conservatives wouldn't have chosen him to run and he would have remained a back office nobody.

Of course it's not irrelevant, it's him trying to do his "man of the people" act, a really top issue at the moment given all the accusations flying around even from his own backbenchers that he and Gideon are out of touch posh boys.
Reply 44
Yes. He was there with an Aussie, a ginger and that bloke who does the racing show on the BBC.
Reply 45
Original post by zara55
Of course it's not irrelevant, it's him trying to do his "man of the people" act, a really top issue at the moment given all the accusations flying around even from his own backbenchers that he and Gideon are out of touch posh boys.

It is not out of touch to be posh though. It is just the left doing their typical trick of demonisation, which is just petty.
Reply 46
It is not out of touch to be posh though. It is just the left doing their typical trick of demonisation, which is just petty.

It wasn't the Left who said he's in Sainsburys every Friday, it was him - the issue is one that he obviously feels pretty acutely over and he feels he needs to do PR on. Being a bright, but rather out-of-touch silly posh PR boy, he thought the right message for the plebs would be to announce he's in and out of Chipping Norton Sainsburys haha. To him, that probably sounded common!
Reply 47
Original post by zara55
It wasn't the Left who said he's in Sainsburys every Friday, it was him - the issue is one that he obviously feels pretty acutely over and he feels he needs to do PR on. Being a bright, but rather out-of-touch silly posh PR boy, he thought the right message for the plebs would be to announce he's in and out of Chipping Norton Sainsburys haha. To him, that probably sounded common!

Why did he say it? It is because the left make such a big thing out of it so it was just like lying to a child! If the issue is one of PR then why not focus on Mr Miliband. What Cameron did is not much different from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGWNJ5sbuw
Reply 48
Why did he say it? It is because the left make such a big thing out of it so it was just like lying to a child! If the issue is one of PR then why not focus on Mr Miliband. What Cameron did is not much different from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGWNJ5sbuw

Er, because he's the Prime Minister and Ed Millibland is an over-promoted nobody who will be replaced when Labour decides it actually wants to be re-elected?
Reply 49
Original post by zara55
Er, because he's the Prime Minister and Ed Millibland is an over-promoted nobody who will be replaced when Labour decides it actually wants to be re-elected?

You really think all of that PR would have stopped had Labour got it? No, it would just be taken down to the occasional comment. What Cameron said has no link whatsoever to his competence as PM. It is just extracted by the whining left and derided, where any other person wouldn't give a ****.
Reply 50
Original post by thunder_chunky
I used to go to school near Chipping Norton, although back then the supermarket was a Safeways.

I guess he wants to live with common people, he wants to sleep with common people like you....

Well he had to start it somewhere
Reply 51
You really think all of that PR would have stopped had Labour got it? No, it would just be taken down to the occasional comment. What Cameron said has no link whatsoever to his competence as PM. It is just extracted by the whining left and derided, where any other person wouldn't give a ****.

Don't be silly, of course it goes to competence - he lies foolishly and obviously in public and the nature of his lies reveals deep concern about his public image. A man that shallow shouldn't have that job, period.

We used to have leaders as PM at one time.
Reply 52
Original post by zara55
Don't be silly, of course it goes to competence - he lies foolishly and obviously in public and the nature of his lies reveals deep concern about his public image. A man that shallow shouldn't have that job, period.

We used to have leaders as PM at one time.

Oh, because no politician lies once in a while :rolleyes: These lies are trivial anyway!
Reply 53
Oh, because no politician lies once in a while :rolleyes: These lies are trivial anyway!

Maggie would never have come up with such an obvious untruth, hers may have been lies but they were clever and big ones. Cameron just has the knack of making himself look foolish at crucial moments. I agree with OP that he isn't PM material.
Reply 54
Original post by Fires
Maggie would never have come up with such an obvious untruth, hers may have been lies but they were clever and big ones. Cameron just has the knack of making himself look foolish at crucial moments. I agree with OP that he isn't PM material.

But this type of behaviour amongst politicians is insanely common today. It has come to the point where it is so common it is almost part of being a politician.
Original post by callum9999
Like what? I know people love to foam at the mouth about anything politicians ever do, but saying "I often go to the supermarket on a Friday or Saturday" doesn't exactly strike me as an enormously implausible event.

neither did the shop where he got his last pastie
Reply 56
Original post by TheCaledonian
neither did the shop where he got his last pastie

How is that implausible? :confused:
Original post by CurlyBen
Well he had to start it somewhere

So it started.....there
Reply 58
Original post by Drewski
Well, seeing as you've already made up your mind, it doesn't matter what we say, whether from fact or otherwise. I could turn up with CCTV images of him walking in for the past 6 months and you'd say it was photoshopped.

Zara55
x

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3p1o6y/

Conspiracy Keanu to the rescue! :awesome:
(edited 11 years ago)
How is that implausible? :confused:

He made a seemingly innocuous statement about where he recently got his last pastie and how he eats them all the time (this didn't seem implausible) however on further investigation it was discovered that this shop had closed down years earlier

Quick Reply

Latest