The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redbuthotter
Would you say the heavy squats weakened your bench for today?

Might have contributed; might not. I think that my elbow and lack of benching in almost three weeks were much bigger contributors, though.
Okay session tonight.

Press:

worked up to 75 x 1

Absolute grinder. First time pressing anything close to this weight in many, many months.

Push press:

90 x 1

Technique was horrible and triceps quite tired so never got much. Was going onto toes and thus pushing weight away from me and not being able to push the head through.

Deadlifts:

worked up to 210 x 1

Felt nice equalling my current 1RM PR but again technique was poor. Not keeping back flat.

Some quick stretching and home.
Quite a terrible session tonight.

Squats:

100 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 5

Form felt all horrible. No back tightness. No deep breath. No sitting back or anything. Mobility is probably gone after sitting on my ass for so much these last few weeks.

Bench press:

83 x 3

Again, pretty terrible. My bench plummets very quickly if I don't regularly do it, but hopefully it will rise again quickly.

Pendlay rows:

85 x 5/5/5

Better.

Curls and home.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Form felt much better. Was leaning forward and sticking hips back so was using much more posterior chain and felt, well, much, much better.

However I did has some weird soreness in my mid-upper back. Wasn't a shooting pain ... felt more like stiffness or DOMS even...

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Not easy but not excruciating.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Not too hard but put belt on too tight so couldn't get a proper breath or set up properly.

Dips:

Bodyweight x 6/5/4

Meh.
Poor session tonight. Back felt weird and elbow hurted too.

Squats:

143 x 5/5

Only did two sets because I have no idea what's going on with my back and don't want to push things. Weights went up fairly easy though all things considered.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Not too hard. Wasn't sure about this because elbow was hurting quite a lot but got them all. I think it may be overhead pressing that does my elbow in - think I noticed that trend a few years ago.

Couldn't do any chins because of sore elbow but did some reverse curls as I've heard they can help with sore elbows.
Okay session tonight. Back felt better but not 100% and got elbow sleeves now and they definitely help with the elbows.

Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Form pretty poor as it always is after a small break but not too much difficulty here.

Press:

60 x 5/5/4/1

Changing form on these. No more excessive lay-back because it doesn't suit my body dimensions. Very little lay-back now and it uses more arms rather than low back and hips, which is what I need, and also helps with pushing the head through. Never got last rep on last set because my low back unlocked so I did it again to make up reps.

Power cleans:

60 x 3
70 x 3
80 x 3
90 x 3

Remind me never to wear a polo shirt with buttons close to the collar when doing cleans again! Happy I can still clean 90, although more work required in keeping back locked and deep breath.

Was short of time so went home.
you read about the new press form in ss 3rd edition?

i'm switching my overhead pressing up now, going to do push presses/ presses off pins hope that helps in getting to bodyweight soonish
Original post by Gallium
you read about the new press form in ss 3rd edition?

Yes, and I don't like it. Was better before. Not sure why Rip changed it.
Original post by Smack
Okay session tonight. Back felt better but not 100% and got elbow sleeves now and they definitely help with the elbows.

Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Form pretty poor as it always is after a small break but not too much difficulty here.

Press:

60 x 5/5/4/1

Changing form on these. No more excessive lay-back because it doesn't suit my body dimensions. Very little lay-back now and it uses more arms rather than low back and hips, which is what I need, and also helps with pushing the head through. Never got last rep on last set because my low back unlocked so I did it again to make up reps.

Power cleans:

60 x 3
70 x 3
80 x 3
90 x 3

Remind me never to wear a polo shirt with buttons close to the collar when doing cleans again! Happy I can still clean 90, although more work required in keeping back locked and deep breath.

Was short of time so went home.

I always wear a polo shirt. I've ripped the buttons off some of them after ending up with button-shaped bruises on my chest...
Original post by Becca
I always wear a polo shirt. I've ripped the buttons off some of them after ending up with button-shaped bruises on my chest...

Might just do that to be honest since I'm fairly short on workout attire at the moment.
Pretty ****ty session tonight, although the first one in over two weeks so not expecting much.

Squats:

got up to 120 x 5 but stopped because of pain in mid-back. The exact same problem as I was having before, was really hoping it'd be gone by the time I got back but sadly it hasn't. It's like a compression sensation in my mid back. Not sure what's causing it although it could be lack of mobility or kinaesthetic awareness of the muscles of my posterior chain and back to keep tight and locked. I know I cannot even "feel" my lower back so there's no way that I can keep it tight, especially at the bottom of a squat.

Bench:

worked up to 80 x 5

Not too hard, thankfully.

Did some power cleans but form was **** and wanted home for some food so left.
Meh session this afternoon. Couldn't squat or deadlift as my back isn't up to it and went in without being as well fed as I usually am.

Push press:

80 x 2
85 x 2
90 x 1

Failed second on 90. Put too much effort on locking out first rep. However form was better this time; no going onto toes and keeping on heels so not losing them out in front like what I usually do.

Press:

50 x 5/5/4

A hard push press rep really takes a lot out of my shoulders. Every rep was slow and shoulders just gave out on fourth rep of last set.

Pendlay rows:

90 x 5/5/5

Back felt okay doing these, which is encouraging.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/2/2/2

Haven't done these in a while so I've lost a lot of the progress I made on them. Hoping to get back at them though.

Side lateral raises:

2 x 15

Home.
do you really reckon push-presses have any cross-over?

you seem to pushpress alot compared to your strict press, was speaking to matt and he recommended to due push/pin presses first then some light strict press work after. apparently your meant to pin press 100% of your ohp but i struggle doing 90% lol
Don't know, but I wouldn't say 90kg push press is a lot compared to a 75kg strict press.
'Nother **** session tonight. Back still not any better so I might have to only do upper body work for a while.

Tried to squat, got up to 60kg for a few reps and had to quit.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5/5/5

Last rep of last set was a real grinder.

Deadlifts:

worked up to 160 for a single until back didn't feel right. Quite surprised I got that far.

Seated dumbbell shoulders press:

20s x 7/5/4

Quick drop off, probably because arms were tired from benching.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/2/1/f

Meh.

Did some curls and left.
'Nother **** session. Back still ****. Been foam rolling it though and it felt good enough to squat the bar and 60kg so that's an improvement I think.

Press:

55 x 5/5/4/4/5

Lost a lot of strength since I've had so much weeks off. Also this is the first time I've ever got more reps on a subsequent set after failing on the overhead press. Usually what happens is I fail a rep then the next set it goes steeply down hill.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/3/3/2/1

Meh.

RDLs:

60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5

Back not 100% with these but still doable.

Home.
Whats up with the back. Your back, mine, monks, ibysaiyans, tom martin.... who will be next? lol
Back still ****ed; certainly not able to squat.

Press:

55 x 5/5/5/5/5

Got them all this time. Shorter rest periods too and not too hard apart from last rep of last set, which is always hard on 5x5 lol.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/3/3/2/3

Did last set later.

Deadlifts:

worked up to 170 x 1

Back still feeling ****ed. Did these with my Ironworks and used a slightly wider stance to see if it made any difference. It doesn't.

Back extensions:

bodyweight x 10

GHRs:

bodyweight x 10

More to get blood flowing rather than training. Although these might be the only pain-free way I will be able to train my posterior chain.

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 6/7

Meh. Haven't used these in probably about a year and shoulders and arms tired from pressing and chins.
Why are you going heavy on DL if ur back is ****ed?
Original post by redbuthotter
Why are you going heavy on DL if ur back is ****ed?

To see if my back could handle it. And I didn't go that heavy lol.

Quick Reply

Latest