The Student Room Group

If you live at home when you go to uni do you miss out on a lot?

I'm not sure which uni to go to and one of them has a course more suited to me but means that i would live at home and im not sure if i want to...
Reply 1
For me, not living away meant university was basically like school. I still had the same friends I had had all my life and I just went to lectures and came straight home.

Of course if you throw yourself in to all the societies on offer then you won't have that problem. But staying at home does make you complacent and if I had the oppurtunity again I would probably go away.

The course is the most important thing though, the rest is a bonus.
Reply 2
No matter what, if you live at home, you WILL miss out on some of the university experience. People will argue that you can make the most of it, which is true, you can. However, it will NEVER be as full, and as good an experience as living at university.
Original post by Mess.
For me, not living away meant university was basically like school. I still had the same friends I had had all my life and I just went to lectures and came straight home.

Of course if you throw yourself in to all the societies on offer then you won't have that problem. But staying at home does make you complacent and if I had the oppurtunity again I would probably go away.

The course is the most important thing though, the rest is a bonus.

I would agree 100% with this, note though, I haven't spent a penny of my student loans.

I wish I'd have gone away.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
My friends who stayed at home seem to dislike uni much more than my friends who went away. As people said before, it's just like school in that you go to lectures, then come home. Depends on your circumstances though, if the course is better at home then it's a toss up. You'll definitely safe a buttload of money staying home
Yeah, I'd say you're missing out on a lot.
I live at home. When I decide to go out... I go out.
Reply 7
I live away for university and one or two of my friends decided to remain at home to attend theirs. Comparing them to the friends that have actually gone away to study they definitely missed out on quite a bit.

They did not get as much of a confidence boost that all the people who went away did; also they have no experience of independent living and being out of their comfort zones.

There is the problem however, that once you leave home for university it is never the same, at least for most people. I like where I live, but living with my parents now is no longer preferable to living at university.
I lived at home my first year. It meant I was constantly staying on peoples sofas for nights out. But you could always stay at home your first year then move out your second if you really wanted to?
Reply 9
Original post by ritchie888
Yeah, I'd say you're missing out on a lot.

I just had to say this your thing at the bottom is amazing!!
But i've heard rumours that root of minus 1 exists in further maths as an imaginary number :s-smilie:
Reply 10
If i were you. Stay in halls for 1 year. Make friends. Then move back home in the remaining years. You save money, luxury of being home and still have all your mates.

Quick Reply

Latest