The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
I'll say its legit for sure.
Uniqueness, any religion can claim that, whether one which is true or one which is false.

did you make a new account?
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
How do muslim, particulalry in the UK, reconcile the instruction in Islam of "staying away from idle thoughts"
-----------------------

Many Muslims have a misconception that having fun is Haraam
Reply 942
I'll say its legit for sure.
Uniqueness, any religion can claim that, whether one which is true or one which is false.

Erm..so you're saying that Islam is the only legitimate religion? I sincerely hope that's not what you meant!

Well, if say I asked you what Islam has that Judaism and Christianity do not, what would you answer?
Reply 943
What is the islamic reasoning that muslim men will greet each other by kissing each other, but are not permitted to kiss women in public at all or obviously not allowed any contact with them.
Original post by lancelot
What is the islamic reasoning that muslim men will greet each other by kissing each other, but are not permitted to kiss women in public at all or obviously not allowed any contact with them.

Ok, where did you hear that bolded part?

As for having physical contact with the opposite gender, it's due to having modesty + it's regarded as a failsafe to reduce the risk of fitnah (corruption) occurring.

As per your list - most things are stated as rpohibitied or discourgaed unless they are in someway related to islam.
The question was based on that islam prohibits idle thoughts, which has been translated as 'non- essential to day to day life or nothing to do with islam'
so thinking about football would qualify as such, but then like i said millions of muslims think about football, listen to unislamic music etc. Are they regarded as non-practicing muslims?
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
As per your list - most things are stated as rpohibitied or discourgaed unless they are in someway related to islam.
The question was based on that islam prohibits idle thoughts, which has been translated as 'non- essential to day to day life or nothing to do with islam'
so thinking about football would qualify as such, but then like i said millions of muslims think about football, listen to unislamic music etc. Are they regarded as non-practicing muslims?

A practicing Muslim is a muslim who prays, fasts, gives Zakath, and tries to perform hajj. This is in addition to believing in one God, the angels, the prophets and their scriptures, the day of judgement and Predestination. A non-practicing muslim is a "believer" but one who does not perform the actions. one does not become a non-practicing Muslim by sinning or by doing what you suggested.
Why would Allah create homosexuals if He deems them perverse?
Original post by headunderwater
Why would Allah create homosexuals if He deems them perverse?

Firstly, we don't believe anyone was "created a homosexual", we were all born innocent and upon fitrah as Muslims. Then our environment plays a part on who we become until we are able to think for ourselves.
[INDENT]

‘And if his parents are Jews, they make him a Jew, with respect to his worldly situation; [i.e. with respect to inheritance, etc.] and if Christians, they make him a Christian, with respect to that situation; and if Magians, they make him a Magian, with respect to that situation; his situation is the same as that of his parents until his tongue speaks for him; but if he dies before his attaining to the age when sexual maturity begins to show itself, he dies in a state of conformity to his preceding natural constitution, with which he was created in his mother’s womb.’ - Ibn Mazûr, Ibid. p. 1109; Lane, Ibid., pp. 2415-16.

[/INDENT]
If you are talking about the concept of Homosexuality in terms of the feeling/thoughts people get, then it's the same reason He created incest, necrophilia, bestiality, cannibalism etc. only as a means to test people.

Similarly, Allah also created evil, which is deemed bad, however it has purpose as mentioned above; it is simply a means of testing us. We are responsible for our own actions, yet through tests, we are bound to find many temptations which we should do our best to resist.

[INDENT] [He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed - and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving. (Quran, 67:2) [/INDENT]

Everyone has a different test based on their abilities and on the infinite knowledge of Allah. If someone was attracted to the same gender and resisted sodomy he/she would gain exponential reward. It just depends on how difficult your test is and how you react to it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 949
Original post by Perseveranze
Ok, where did you hear that bolded part?

As for having physical contact with the opposite gender, it's due to having modesty + it's regarded as a failsafe to reduce the risk of fitnah (corruption) occurring.

ive seen arab muslim men kiss each other publically when meeting, i d say its pretty common in middle east, not sure about asia. why this level of affection/contact allowed but not for women?
Original post by lancelot
ive seen arab muslim men kiss each other publically when meeting, i d say its pretty common in middle east, not sure about asia. why this level of affection/contact allowed but not for women?

Just because some Arab men might do it (though I still am unsure where this happens), does not mean it's allowed in Islam.

Maybe they hug each other, out of brotherhood, but kissing? Pretty sure that is not allowed, whatsoever.

And women can hug each other too, in the sisterhood sense.

Only men and women can't have physical contact with each other, unless they're married or are family etc.
Reply 951
Just because some Arab men might do it (though I still am unsure where this happens), does not mean it's allowed in Islam.

Maybe they hug each other, out of brotherhood, but kissing? Pretty sure that is not allowed, whatsoever.

And women can hug each other too, in the sisterhood sense.

Only men and women can't have physical contact with each other, unless they're married or are family etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing#Middle_East
Reply 952

Mostly due to culture and maybe reading some weak Hadith.

But:
Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said: “O Messenger of Allaah, when one of us meets his brother or his friend, should he bow to him?” He said: “No.” He said: “Should he embrace him and kiss him?” He said: “No.” He said: “Should he take his hand and shake hands with him?” He said: Yes. [This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi]

Men should only meet other men via hand shakes.
You're allowed to hug another man as well if they've just come back from a journey.

Kissing isn't allowed though

That is messed up. It's not something that is Islamic that's for sure. I mean, doing it to your children or something is fine, but outside that, no.

[INDENT]Al-Tirmidhi narrated (2728) that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said: O Messenger of Allaah, when one of us meets his brother or his friend, should he bow to him? He said: No. He said: Should he embrace him and kiss him? He said: No. He said: Should he take his hand and shake hands with him? He said: Yes. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

[/INDENT]

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

[INDENT]As for embracing and kissing the face of someone other than a person who has returned from travelling, etc apart from a child this is makrooh, as was clearly stated by al-Baghawi and others… As for a handsome beardless youth, it is haraam to kiss him under any circumstances, whether he is returning from a journey or not. It seems that embracing him is akin to kissing him, whether the one who is kissing or the one who is kissed are righteous or otherwise. End quote from al-Majmoo’, 4/477

[/INDENT]

Also it is stated;

[INDENT]Embracing sons and daughters when they are small, hugging them, smelling them and kissing them are all part of the compassions and warmth that people should give in abundance to their children and not deprive them of it, because it is compassion that Allah has created in the hearts of His slaves, and Allah only shows mercy to those of His slaves who are merciful.

We advise fathers and mothers not to deprive them of this parental gesture, because it is a basic psychological need, especially in small children, as is proven in all psychological and educational studies, both contemporary and classical.

It is proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5997) that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) kissed al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali, when al-Aqra‘ ibn Haabis al-Tameemi was sitting with him. al-Aqra‘ said: I have ten children and I have never kissed one of them. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) looked at him, then he said: “The one who does not show mercy will not be shown mercy.”

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (3704) it also says: al-Bara’ entered with Abu Bakr upon his family -- after he reached Madinah as a migrant. ‘Aa’ishah was lying down as she was suffering a fever. I [al-Bara’] saw her father kiss her cheek and say: How are you, O my daughter?

[/INDENT]
Reply 954
That is messed up. It's not something that is Islamic that's for sure. I mean, doing it to your children or something is fine, but outside that, no.

[INDENT]Al-Tirmidhi narrated (2728) that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man said: O Messenger of Allaah, when one of us meets his brother or his friend, should he bow to him? He said: No. He said: Should he embrace him and kiss him? He said: No. He said: Should he take his hand and shake hands with him? He said: Yes. This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

[/INDENT]

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

[INDENT]As for embracing and kissing the face of someone other than a person who has returned from travelling, etc apart from a child this is makrooh, as was clearly stated by al-Baghawi and others… As for a handsome beardless youth, it is haraam to kiss him under any circumstances, whether he is returning from a journey or not. It seems that embracing him is akin to kissing him, whether the one who is kissing or the one who is kissed are righteous or otherwise. End quote from al-Majmoo’, 4/477

[/INDENT]

Also it is stated;

[INDENT]Embracing sons and daughters when they are small, hugging them, smelling them and kissing them are all part of the compassions and warmth that people should give in abundance to their children and not deprive them of it, because it is compassion that Allah has created in the hearts of His slaves, and Allah only shows mercy to those of His slaves who are merciful.

We advise fathers and mothers not to deprive them of this parental gesture, because it is a basic psychological need, especially in small children, as is proven in all psychological and educational studies, both contemporary and classical.

It is proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (5997) that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) kissed al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali, when al-Aqra‘ ibn Haabis al-Tameemi was sitting with him. al-Aqra‘ said: I have ten children and I have never kissed one of them. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) looked at him, then he said: “The one who does not show mercy will not be shown mercy.”

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (3704) it also says: al-Bara’ entered with Abu Bakr upon his family -- after he reached Madinah as a migrant. ‘Aa’ishah was lying down as she was suffering a fever. I [al-Bara’] saw her father kiss her cheek and say: How are you, O my daughter?

[/INDENT]

i cant comment on any point of authority on this, but i asked the question becuase i saw arab men kissing each other - even in strict islamic countries. Im fairly sure i saw some news footage of a senior islamic cleric or sheikh kissing other men in greeting. It would be strange if you say it isnt allowed in islam, but so many muslim men in different countries do it
Reply 955
assalamualaykum,

brothers a quick question from a non-muslim friend that i could not answer properly,

How do we know that allah/god actually exists?
Why do muslims try to claim gambling is sinful but still buy Lottery tickets?
Reply 957
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod

Ever heard of sinning? People do stuff even though they know it's wrong. I'm not sure what your point is.
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod

Why do people say smoking is unhealthy but still smoke?
Original post by tazarooni89
Why do people say smoking is unhealthy but still smoke?

They arnt following prescribed reliogous doctrine when saying that- it isnt the same as preaching gambling is a sin, then buying lottery tickets, that is my question

Latest

Trending

Trending