The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2660
Original post by yzarcemina
is subletting campus accommodation allowed? say if your contract covers the christmas vacation but you won't be around?

I haven't read the contract, but it's unlikely. Although, no-one really checks if the correct person is living in the room they're allocated.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Nirgilis
Eugh. It seems to be a lottery as to whether it's absolutely rammed or plenty of free space at the moment. But I've fallen in love with the floor 2 open work space. It's great for group work :yep:

I wouldn't class floor 2 as part of a library, more like a lounge! :lol:
Original post by ttoby
I'm happy with noisy areas or quiet areas, but what I can't stand is when an area is quiet apart from just one person talking (because you just end up listening to them instead of doing useful stuff). I particularly like it when I'm in an area that's really empty.

Oh my goodness yes. I was in there at 4am the other night, and two people were chatting LOUDLY on floor 4. I actually ended up asking them to hush because it was doing my head in.
Original post by georgia
I'm very much a floor 4 girl. I don't like working in noisy areas, and floor 3 is too oppressive but floor 5 is too modern and swish.

There's more to the library than the first 2 floors? :zomg: :lol: . I've never had a reason to go above floor 2. If I want a quiet area, I visit the science area across the floor 2 bridge :tongue: (But that's nigh on impossible to find a seat that isn't either occupied or 'reserved' :facepalm:)

Are there spare seats in the other floors or is it just as full?

Original post by jameswhughes
I wouldn't class floor 2 as part of a library, more like a lounge! :lol:

Hey, some of us get work done there :hand:

Yes, even when there are 3 separate streams of the champions league happening around the room :lol:
Original post by Nirgilis
Are there spare seats in the other floors or is it just as full?

The whole place is quite full at the moment, I think. I don't know for sure, just going on hearsay - I've been working from home lately.
Reply 2665
hey, I'm sorry if it's obvious and was asked before, buuuuut when exactly does the freshers' fortnight begin?:smile:)
Reply 2666
Original post by ivory
hey, I'm sorry if it's obvious and was asked before, buuuuut when exactly does the freshers' fortnight begin?:smile:)

First weekend before term starts :smile: It's basically first day of term until last day of week 2
Reply 2667
Does anyone here know the average number of hours an Engineering student has in first year (lectures + seminars + labs).

Also how may lab reports do you get on a termly basis?

How does this change in 2nd/3rd year? (I know it'll be different depending on the modules you pick but I meant in general).

Cheers!
Hi, just wondering, if anyone knows, how many sports clubs am i allowed to join? I am considering joining 2, but due to requirements and commitments such as training, is this possible?
Reply 2669
Original post by DontBeJelBeReem
Hi, just wondering, if anyone knows, how many sports clubs am i allowed to join? I am considering joining 2, but due to requirements and commitments such as training, is this possible?

There's no hard limit but obviously, as you say, you'd need to make sure they don't take up too much time. Also bear in mind that each one costs money to join.

If you're doing maths, then I doubt you'd have time for more than one anyway :tongue:

Depending how serious you want to get, it's possible. Some people dip into several different sports sessions a week, although if you want to be say first team Lacrosse, it might be a push to also be on the Rowing team. Although you still can do casual sports like Mixed Netball/Hockey/Badminton on the side.

Original post by jameswhughes
If you're doing maths, then I doubt you'd have time for more than one anyway :tongue:

I do two societies and one sports club. It's perfectly possible :wink:

It does just mean that come Easter I am more or less learning the course the first time (tip: don't do that).
Original post by TheTallOne
Depending how serious you want to get, it's possible. Some people dip into several different sports sessions a week, although if you want to be say first team Lacrosse, it might be a push to also be on the Rowing team. Although you still can do casual sports like Mixed Netball/Hockey/Badminton on the side.

I do two societies and one sports club. It's perfectly possible :wink:

It does just mean that come Easter I am more or less learning the course the first time (tip: don't do that).

Think I'm in that position at the moment anyway, unfortunately :wink:
If you wanted, is it possible to run for exec roles on more then one society?
Original post by Tsunami2011
If you wanted, is it possible to run for exec roles on more then one society?

Of course. It's not regulated! I currently hold two exec positions, and will do for most of next year.
Reply 2675
Original post by georgia
Of course. It's not regulated! I currently hold two exec positions, and will do for most of next year.

Wow! Is it really time consuming? How is it balancing that and your degree?
I really need some opinions on Warwick. I have an offer for Maths and Physics and I'm considering firming Warwick. For the past month I've only really been looking at firming Imperial or Durham but I'm not sure now.

Imperial was incredibly dull when I visited (unsociable, unfriendly people and a poor gender ratio) and I feel that sacrificing a good university experience just for "Imperial" on my CV is a bad idea.

I quite liked Durham but I don't really think I'd fit in tbh (that sounds odd I know). It is known for a high proportion of stuck up snobs and seems pretty isolated with it being so far up north.

Warwick was nice though, and I was impressed when I visited and had a tour around. I'd still have the opportunity to go into finance afterwards (Durham is limited in that respect) and there seems to be a more rounded student body.

1. What is the social life like? I'm not a massively social person but I do want to enjoy myself. Are the societies good? I read that Warwick has a lot of societies.

2. What are the students like? Are they generally friendly? Experiences of the halls of residence would be great. Also, what are the girls like? This isn't a main reason for picking a uni of course but I would like some eye candy :tongue:

3. Do Warwick have a lot of links with employers? I read that Warwick is in the top 5 for being the most targeted by employers.

4. What are my chances of getting en suite accommodation whilst on campus if I have Crohn's disease? I'd very much prefer this.

5. A very broad question: do Warwick students generally enjoy being there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated because I have only a week to decide :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vedderfan94
I really need some opinions on Warwick. I have an offer for Maths and Physics and I'm considering firming Warwick. For the past month I've only really been looking at firming Imperial or Durham but I'm not sure now.

4. What are my chances of getting en suite accommodation whilst on campus if I have Crohn's disease? I'd very much prefer this.

Can't answer your other questions 'cause I'm not a student, but if you have a medical reason for needing an en-suite then you should get it. Also have you applied for DSA? If you would benefit from an en-suite on medical / disability grounds then DSA can pay for the difference between it and non-en-suite. Don't know whether you'd be eligible but it's certainly worth a try! My son has Aspergers and should get first choice of halls because of being classified as a disabled student (waiting for AoN).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2678

Imperial was incredibly dull when I visited (unsociable, unfriendly people and a poor gender ratio) and I feel that sacrificing a good university experience just for "Imperial" on my CV is a bad idea.

I quite liked Durham but I don't really think I'd fit in tbh (that sounds odd I know). It is known for a high proportion of stuck up snobs and seems pretty isolated with it being so far up north.

Warwick was nice though, and I was impressed when I visited and had a tour around. I'd still have the opportunity to go into finance afterwards (Durham is limited in that respect) and there seems to be a more rounded student body.

1. What is the social life like? I'm not a massively social person but I do want to enjoy myself. Are the societies good? I read that Warwick has a lot of societies.

2. What are the students like? Are they generally friendly? Experiences of the halls of residence would be great. Also, what are the girls like? This isn't a main reason for picking a uni of course but I would like some eye candy :tongue:

3. Do Warwick have a lot of links with employers? I read that Warwick is in the top 5 for being the most targeted by employers.

I can't answer most of your questions as I'm not a student yet but I will be there in October! My advice is to join the firmers Facebook group. We have a great bunch of people on their and we're creating a nice little buzz of excitement. Just have a look and see if people are saying the right things for you. Everyone seems to be very social and already planning nights out anyway!
I know a few people who have started at Warwick this year and they absolutely love it. If you liked it on the open day i'd say it's a good sign as its a bit of a marmite uni. But just from what my friends have said, people do have an amazing time there so they must be doing something right :smile:
Plus, for Maths especially, Warwick has an amazing reputation and apparently is the 2nd most targetted by employers. Imperial is obviously great but I wouldn't say a Warwick grad would be disadvantaged against someone from Imperial based on University alone.
I say choose Warwick but I'm a bit biased :wink: hopefully a few students will answer your questions.
Reply 2679

Warwick is very high up, on a similar level to Imperial.

Here's some information about all of them. http://www.warwicksu.com/societies/all/ I've had a small amount of involvement in societies - not a lot - but from what I've experienced/heard they're pretty good.

2. What are the students like? Are they generally friendly?
There's a whole mixture of people - lots of really friendly people but also some quieter people
Experiences of the halls of residence would be great.
The good thing about applying to halls is that they match up people with similar personalities so you get along well, and people often do! I had an amazing experience when I was in halls.
Also, what are the girls like? This isn't a main reason for picking a uni of course but I would like some eye candy :tongue:
It's kinda hard to answer that question without it coming across wrong... umm yeah there are nice girls

You see lots of posters advertising big banks and other employers all over the place.

Haven't experienced this myself, but from what I've read/heard they generally are very accommodating with any medical reasons (as long as you tell them this)

Yeah, I really enjoy it. It's a great place to be.

Quick Reply

Latest