The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simonbellringer
Found out today my manager is being transferred to Melksham. Shame about that, he is such a nice guy, and gave me my chance (as I am sure we are all aware, jobs are a tad thin on the ground, especially as most employers want someone with experience, which most of us students either have not got, or only have a small amount of.) :frown:

That's a shame. It's annoying, because the best managers are the ones who get moved (presumably to poorly performing stores)... My manager's really lovely, but it's likely that he'll be moved somewhere else soon as well :frown:
What's everyone's experience with study leave from work ? I've worked there 2 years now and havent requested it in any other exam seasons so don't really know how it works..
Original post by RogueTrombonist
What's everyone's experience with study leave from work ? I've worked there 2 years now and havent requested it in any other exam seasons so don't really know how it works..

I usually used holiday round exam time. Could maybe get people to cover your shifts or ask for it unpaid as well.
Reply 1323
Had my induction today, those videos they make you watch really are hilarious because of the acting

the "handeling aggresion at work had funny parts" particuarly the till snatcher and the drunk in the aisle

:biggrin:
Original post by RogueTrombonist

To be fair, Sainsburys are generally OK with letting you off for exams and SOME study leave, though I only ever juggled hours if I had an exam the day I was supposed to be working 6-10am, as an early start before an exam is probably not the best combination ever!!

If you have any holiday, try using some of that, or ask if you can swap some hours - do your shift on a Saturday when they are extra-busy instead of on a Thursday, for example.

Remember - if you dont ask, you dont get!! :cool:
Original post by mimimimi
That's a shame. It's annoying, because the best managers are the ones who get moved (presumably to poorly performing stores)... My manager's really lovely, but it's likely that he'll be moved somewhere else soon as well :frown:

Yes, just like more funding goes to poorer schools instead of better schools, you can see why to a point, but it is unfair on those who deserve it!! :frown:

Maybe if you failed once your manager goes (if he does) they might take the hint.... but dont bank on it!! :smile:
Original post by Negotiator
So what is the policy of reducing items for colleagues? I know that some colleagues like to stash reduced in the back then get the code checker to reduce them to second red prices or lower later on. Is this frowned upon?

i became the code checker, i get dibs on the best stuff and i stash as much as i want for the final 90% reduction we do in our store jajajaja
Original post by xangelinax
Try telling that to the people in my store that do the final reductions, even the managers are in on it. Everyone takes stuff from it for their breaks. There is one woman that leaves a stash in the fresh chiller and takes it home with her.

they make so much money from us, all for a crappy £7 an hour, this is the least we deserve and quite frankly it seems to me that your jealous you never get anything good
we have to do a report on appraisal methods in sainsburys, so I wondered if any of you guys would mind telling me about your experience? Do they do a 3 month probation like a lot of firms do, or do you have monthly appraisals? What kind of things do they talk to you about, and how are you assessed? Would really appreciate any info, we've contacted them but they haven't responded. Thanks :smile:
Original post by lilahnurave
we have to do a report on appraisal methods in sainsburys, so I wondered if any of you guys would mind telling me about your experience? Do they do a 3 month probation like a lot of firms do, or do you have monthly appraisals? What kind of things do they talk to you about, and how are you assessed? Would really appreciate any info, we've contacted them but they haven't responded. Thanks :smile:

For new colleagues (or existing colleagues who change positions in the company) there's a 3 month probation period. At 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks the colleague is supposed to have a 1-2-1 meeting with a team leader/department manager. In that meeting, they talk about what the colleague does well, not so well and any improvements that need to be made.

I think they should have meetings every 6 months (?) after that but I've only had one in three years and that only consisted of signing a page saying I'd done it so I'm not 100% on that.

I used to do checkouts, and on that department they randomly observe you every 2-3 months to make sure you're following the script and being nice to customers. Then they talk to you about what (if anything) you need to work on. I think our store also does more regular observations on the 5 cashiers with the lowest IPM (Items scanned per minute).

I think other departments do observations as well but I don't really know how they work.

Every year they also do Talkback, where they ask every colleague for anonymous feedback on stuff what they can do better as a company, if the worker feels appreciated and basically stuff like that.

Basically my store just lets you get on with what you're doing and only really intervene when they think you need a disciplinary.
Reply 1330
Guys i have a quick question regarding pay, I found out the payday for this month is the 18th

I had my induction on monday and tuesday so obviously i will get the £80 from that in my first wages

But what else will i get paid in my first wages ?

Ill be working the 8th,9th and 10th and also the 17th, so will those days also be included in my first pay wages ?
Original post by cgvince
Guys i have a quick question regarding pay, I found out the payday for this month is the 18th

I had my induction on monday and tuesday so obviously i will get the £80 from that in my first wages

Ill be working the 8th,9th and 10th and also the 17th, so will those days also be included in my first pay wages ?

I believe the cut-off date is the Saturday before, therefore anything before the 12th May will be included.
Reply 1332
Original post by cgvince

Not completely sure, since I've only had the one paycheck so far, but I think there's a "cut-off" date for your pay.
Last month it was a week before the pay day so I'm guessing it'll be about the same, so the 11th. I doubt you'll be paid for hours worked on the 17th, but everything before that should be paid.
Reply 1333
^^^^ Ok thanks guys, little annoying as i expected this months payday to be a bit more but guess i cant complain because next months will be big :smile:
i need advice ive been royally screwed. Im at uni and i work part time at a sainsburys convenience store and im supposed to do 24 hours but i regularly do over 50 hours a week. Our budget only allows for 3 colleagues and a supervisor to be on shift at the same time but they always end up calling more people in because we are getting busier and busier. The new manager is a huge **** that doesnt help when we are busy and doesnt get on well with colleagues. He really has lowered the store morale a lot and a lot of colleagues just arent motivated to work as hard as they can.

I usually give it 110 % every shift and everyone tells me im the best or second best person that works there. Ive worked there since november but in just one month i learnt how to do everything (bakery,code checking, delivery, banking, newspapers/magazines,blind count, bailing, cleaning, fixing self scans, and became very fast in repleneshing stock/facing up/very fast and friendly on the till. I was so good i was teaching the new team leader in training, how to cash up and fix the self scans.

Well anyway heres my problem, i applied for the trainee management program and i asked my manager's permission and he said yes, but they sent an email 2 days ago asking if he would be happy for me to apply and he never told me about it. Im get on very well with everyone and ive been told by several supervisors that he intends to say or has said he is not happy for me to apply, that i am not very good at my job, hardly do overtime, and may need re-training or "coaching and guidance". He wants to do this because I do twice as much work as most people there and run around a lot, apparently i would be a great loss to the store.

So today i asked him if any emails came in for me and he twitched and said none had, then i asked if we could go down together and have a look and he said he would later but he hastily left without checking the emails with me. The deputy manager and me had a look at the email and he hasnt replied yet but im not sure what to do. I think he may have already replied and then deleted the response from the sent box.

I dont think id probably get the job because there are so many better qualified/more experienced people then me but i thought i would at least manage an interview. I feel like a black person in 1960s america being kept down by "the man".
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone,

Really need some help and advice. Have been working part time at my local Sainsburys for 5 years after GCSE's. Have kept in through college and now university. Am about to start a PGCE in September. I work Fridays and Saturdays but need to move my Friday to a Sunday as I won't be able to work during the week anymore from September onwards. I'm trained on all departments and pretty much know everything apart from the hot food counter/salad bar.

I have asked my manger and HR and they have baisically said, unless they 'find' a role for me to do on Sundays then they will have to 'force me to resign' rather than be dismissed. :confused: Now am really confused. I understand about them not needing me on Sundays if there are no job roles availiable, but why would they force me to resign or face dismissal?

I'm going to try to go down the route of transferring to another store or having a dual store contract even though it will be a bit pointless as I live, study and work in the same city.

Can anyone shed some light onto this as I have a feeling HR will not do all that they can for me and will probably just tell me they can't do anything resulting in me not having a job. :angry: Should I ring around other stores and try to sort something else myself, or will this be going against protocol of doing it all through HR?

Help!!!
Reply 1336
How much coins are accepted in one transaction? In my store, someone wanted to pay £160 in coins but the cashier refused to accept.
Original post by RJ100
How much coins are accepted in one transaction? In my store, someone wanted to pay £160 in coins but the cashier refused to accept.

In our store there isn't a limit, however I ALWAYS take ages making sure I've counted it all correctly and put all the coins into little piles. Now few customers do it. :biggrin:
Reply 1338
Ah ok, it does happen very often in my store.

Recently I was called rude by a customer because I checked if his note was fake, honest to god some people :O
Reply 1339
Original post by jus2sik
i became the code checker, i get dibs on the best stuff and i stash as much as i want for the final 90% reduction we do in our store jajajaja

Cheeky!

Latest