The Student Room Group

Getting a job at M & S after training/working there ...

Hey folks,

Was wandering if you're more likely to get a job at another marks and spencer chain if you've worked and trained at another store before. For example, if you finish your contract with one store, would it be easier to get hired onto another store or is this not the case ?

Any information appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
what are the rates of pay at marks and spencer? And would you recommend working there?
Original post by dignityinclay
Hey folks,

Was wandering if you're more likely to get a job at another marks and spencer chain if you've worked and trained at another store before. For example, if you finish your contract with one store, would it be easier to get hired onto another store or is this not the case ?

When you left, did you have an exit interview with your line manager or a coach? They should have said whether you're eligible for re-engagement/rejoining (its very unlikely that you wouldnt be, unless you really messed up whilst you were there). All you need to do is look on the website and if theres a suitable position, ring the recruitment line, tell them that you've worked there before (they'll look you up on the system) and that you want to rejoin and tell them which store/position. They'll send your info through to the store and set you up with an interview time slot. Its incredibly unlikely that you'll go through the interview process again, it should just be a case of sorting out which vacancy you want and then filling in the usual paperwork
Reply 3
Original post by stargirl001
When you left, did you have an exit interview with your line manager or a coach? They should have said whether you're eligible for re-engagement/rejoining (its very unlikely that you wouldnt be, unless you really messed up whilst you were there). All you need to do is look on the website and if theres a suitable position, ring the recruitment line, tell them that you've worked there before (they'll look you up on the system) and that you want to rejoin and tell them which store/position. They'll send your info through to the store and set you up with an interview time slot. Its incredibly unlikely that you'll go through the interview process again, it should just be a case of sorting out which vacancy you want and then filling in the usual paperwork

So you are booked into an interview without actually having to do an interview ?
So you are booked into an interview without actually having to do an interview ?

well you shouldnt have to go through the online application process but you *may* have to do the role play etc (although my old HR manager said it would be unlikely that I would have to at my new store and she was right). Im pretty sure the time limit on rejoining is 12 months (or possibly 24) so if its been longer than a year since your contract finished then I think you'll have to start again from scratch. Best thing to do is ring the recruitment number when you see a vacancy you want, tell them where you worked before, when your contract finished and they'll let you know what to do next
Hey folks,

I went back to the same outlet store every summer during uni. I was an easy option cos they knew me and didn't have to train me. I did attempt to transfer from an outlet to main store which was a lot of hassle, but I'm told transferring main store to main store is not. I did transfer easily between outlets. Obviously if you get an interview they may like you because you have worked there before and therefore should be we acquainted with all the policies and procedures but I don't think officially they are allowed to pick you over someone else for that particular reason.

When I left Bridgend and moved to Coventry I wrote to the 5 nearest M&S stores and only one got back to me saying they had no vacancies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lisaloop
what are the rates of pay at marks and spencer? And would you recommend working there?

When I left as a customer assistant I was on £6.82 it will be slightly less for a trainee or temp but goes up after your probationary period and may go up on a few pence on a yearly basis. As for reccomending working there it would depend on the store, I loved my first store but hated my second and third.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
whats the role play like in the interview?sounds scary.
Reply 8
The role play is quite straight forward tbh
They give you a set of cards with information about the role play and products
My one, which was only this week, was about a customer who ordered a cake and it hadn't been delivered.
The interviewer hints to what to say, so theres nothing to worry about

Does anyone know the starting rate for 16 year olds? Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest