The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Maths !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey guys !

I found paper 1 rrrrrrrealy hard. I might pass, like just.

I have both papers and looking over them.

Paper two was amazing, should of seen my face when it saw it.

What did you get for the variation one about the depth ?

And the volume one , lol ?
Original post by nerd434
It's nice to know I'm not the only person who has had a nose bleed during an exam, I had one only last Friday resulting in me having to take the exam from scratch in the Learning and Support base with an invigilator sitting right next to me. And I mean right next to me.

It was kind of annoying to be honest, I wasn't even panicking or anything, I felt confident about that exam..

I have a dodgy artery in my left nostril, so when a big change in air pressure occurs, I get a nose-bleed... :tongue:

For my Higher Bio paper I had inflammation around my eye so couldn't read. I had the similar thing to you, but they read the paper to me. The woman was Scottish, and was born in Scotland, and spoke with a Scottish accent. But whenever she got to a biological term, she said it in a Spanish accent. Which was funny, but annoying.

Also wouldn't read the graph values out to me, so I couldn't do ANY of those questions, which lost me a good 30 marks. T_T

I just noticed that your Rubik's cube in your avatar is being solved incorrectly for F2L, this will now annoy me forever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Paper 1 was pretty hard and Paper 2 was relatively straight forward!
I got 40cm for the variation question and 5 litres for the volume question :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by physicsgleek
I got 40cm for the variation question and 5 litres for the volume question :smile:

can you remember your answer to the rhombus one? I think I got 1503 cm^2
Reply 44
Original post by rd700

YEAH! I split the rhombus into 2 triangles, and then did 1/2absinC and multiplied the answer by 2 :biggrin: Woohoo 2 marks :colondollar:
Paper 2 was easy and Paper 1 was somewhat easy, but I had a serious brain-fart on question 7. I finished the paper and then spent the remaining 30 minutes filling a page with working, trying to find how x = (1 +/- root3)/2. I did everything I could think of (including stuff from the higher textbook) and didn't realise until after the exam that you (very obviously) needed to use the quadratic formula. Good god, I'm stupid.

What did everyone else struggle with? I'm guessing nobody made as monumentally stupid a mistake as I did. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46

What was the variation question? And yeah I got 5L for that volume question :smile:
The Variation question was the one about depth of water in a tank? :smile:
Original post by rd700

Yes i got 1503.5cm^2 :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by AtomSmasher
Paper 2 was easy and Paper 1 was somewhat easy, but I had a serious brain-fart on question 7. I finished the paper and then spent the remaining 30 minutes filling a page with working, trying to find how x = (1 +/- root3)/2. I did everything I could think of (including stuff from the higher textbook) and didn't realise until after the exam that you (very obviously) needed to use the quadratic formula. Good god, I'm stupid.

What did everyone else struggle with? I'm guessing nobody made as monumentally stupid a mistake as I did. :s-smilie:

I won't have got any marks on that. I looked at it instantly and thought it was the quadratic formula but because it was simplified it confused me :confused: never done or seen any questions of that type before but should have got it :wink:
People - can someone be really kind and satisfy all our curiousity by posting the credit paper online ? , pretty please! :tongue:

I'd love to compare it to last year's, to see if it's harder or not etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rd700
I won't have got any marks on that. I looked at it instantly and thought it was the quadratic formula but because it was simplified it confused me :confused: never done or seen any questions of that type before but should have got it :wink:

As long as you put it down on paper you should get 1 mark for recognising that you need to use the quadratic formula, 1 mark for substituting, maybe 1 mark for getting it down to (2 - root12)/4. So that would be better than my page of working which will get zero marks. :wink:
Reply 52
It is 70% for a one isn't it?:smile:
Original post by humza100
was 6a the surd one, if it was it got 2 root 11

No I got that one, I'm talking about the (2)^n = 1/64 one, something like that?
Reply 54
I know I got the simultaneous equation wrong.
I got the first two right I am pretty sure about it, but the third one I done a stupid mistake and made it all square root when it should of been squared. For number 4. I got 2√11. For 5. I got he improved by 4% and showed working. For 6. I got x=2 y=9 I think. And the maximum was nine.

Also on question 9. I wrote 40/5x and the time 2 was 5 times faster. A lot of people got the same as me but also some had others so I am unsure about it.
Did you all get x=5 for the last question in paper 2?
Reply 56
Also I came in at least 16 minutes late to my exam. My dad had to convince them to let me in to the General.
Reply 57
Yeah x=5 because QR was the smallest side so it couldn't be x=1
Reply 58
The Variation question was the one about depth of water in a tank? :smile:

Ahh yes, the d varies directly as blah blah..., I got 40cm :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by anthonyfl
Did you all get x=5 for the last question in paper 2?

yes :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending