The Student Room Group

Higher Revision: how much are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by rawragee
I can never seem to write anything above 2-3 pages in 45ish minutes, I'm just not fast enough :frown:

Isn't 2 pages (4 sides) an adequate amount for an English critical essay though? I generally aim for four sides :smile:

I seriously need to pick up the pace because I really haven't been revising enough! In the holidays I started using a website called StudyBlue which really helped me memorise my English poems but my first exam is Mods and I just can't face revising despite being so scared!

My last exam is Art on the 1st and I am not sure about anybody else but examwise it is the least of my worries. Folio wise I am soooo glad I handed mine in yesterday. It's been the thing that has sucked all my time away.

Next year I am taking Higher Spanish despite having never done it before, ever... My Higher French teacher said that since we (several others are doing it too) know how the exam works we just need to spend more time on vocab. To be honest I am really nervous about taking it!
Reply 81
Original post by auberjean
Isn't 2 pages (4 sides) an adequate amount for an English critical essay though? I generally aim for four sides :smile:

I seriously need to pick up the pace because I really haven't been revising enough! In the holidays I started using a website called StudyBlue which really helped me memorise my English poems but my first exam is Mods and I just can't face revising despite being so scared!

My last exam is Art on the 1st and I am not sure about anybody else but examwise it is the least of my worries. Folio wise I am soooo glad I handed mine in yesterday. It's been the thing that has sucked all my time away.

Next year I am taking Higher Spanish despite having never done it before, ever... My Higher French teacher said that since we (several others are doing it too) know how the exam works we just need to spend more time on vocab. To be honest I am really nervous about taking it!

I mean, about 2-3 sides.. ah it's never enough, my hands just can't work that fast! it's not fair :s-smilie:
You'll be fine with taking Spanish next year, all my friends who have taken both of them this year say that already having a higher in one language will really help you with the other :smile:
I'm putting all of my effort into Higher Media Studies over my other subject (Int 2 Philosophy) because it's the only one that has a chance (if any) of impacting my future. Even so I'm not doing nearly enough revision for it. I've the second half of the prelim in two days (on media analysis) and after my essay feedback last week I'm confident I can pass this and the final exam. Now it's just working on getting that A. :smile:

I've a feeling I'm going to scrape through philosophy with a minimum pass. I don't really need it now (ambitions changed) and it's cheaper to just sit the damn thing than it is to withdraw. :tongue:
Reply 83
my first official day on study leave today! however I had a big meal out with my friends last night to celebrate the end of fifth year and stayed at one of their houses so only just got home... meaning I haven't actually done any revision since Easter... oops! :colondollar:
my first exam is Chemistry (14th) so I'm going into major revision mode tomorrow, hopefully I'll still manage to do okay in everything :frown:
Reply 84
It is now 12 days till the chemistry exam so Im trying to put in at least 2 hours of that a day
I started my revision the end of April. I'm doing around 2/3 hours a day. My first exam is tomorrow and I''ve done around 10 hours revision so far with a couple more planned today.

I imagine I'll do around atleast 10 hours of revision per subject. I'm hoping for 5 A's (English, Maths, Biology, Geography, Info Systems).

How does that compare?
Reply 86
my first official day on study leave today! however I had a big meal out with my friends last night to celebrate the end of fifth year and stayed at one of their houses so only just got home... meaning I haven't actually done any revision since Easter... oops! :colondollar:
my first exam is Chemistry (14th) so I'm going into major revision mode tomorrow, hopefully I'll still manage to do okay in everything :frown:

It was our last day before study leave today! The general fun of mischievous leavers was quite enjoyable.

I'm really struggling to revise now. The problem is, I don't need to study for maths and physics but those are the only subjects I can bring myself to study! Because we've done all this work a million times now it's just so blooming boring. I really can't wait 'till they're over!

My first is English, so it isn't until the 17th, and tbh I wish it was earlier.
Reply 87
Original post by ..lauren
It was our last day before study leave today! The general fun of mischievous leavers was quite enjoyable.

I'm really struggling to revise now. The problem is, I don't need to study for maths and physics but those are the only subjects I can bring myself to study! Because we've done all this work a million times now it's just so blooming boring. I really can't wait 'till they're over!

My first is English, so it isn't until the 17th, and tbh I wish it was earlier.

ahaha everyone loves muck up day! I can only bring myself to do maths or chemistry.. meaning french/physics/english are all left alone..
I wish English was earlier too! I wanted it to be like next week or something, just so it's out the way because it's the exam I'm most stressed for :frown:
ahaha everyone loves muck up day! I can only bring myself to do maths or chemistry.. meaning french/physics/english are all left alone..
I wish English was earlier too! I wanted it to be like next week or something, just so it's out the way because it's the exam I'm most stressed for :frown:

How many quotes are you learning/texts for English?

I was planning on learning my poem, 10 quotes for my prose and maybe a few for nonfiction text incase an emergency but some people are learning like 50 for each text... :s-smilie:
Original post by JaggySnake95

I was planning on learning my poem, 10 quotes for my prose and maybe a few for nonfiction text incase an emergency but some people are learning like 50 for each text... :s-smilie:

I don't really belong here because I did Highers last year, but regarding English, I learnt about 15 quotes for my drama (Streetcar Named Desire) and then I memorised one poem and learnt a few quotes from about 6 other poems. In the exam I answered on the poem I had learnt. Got an A band 1 in the end so don't worry, you don't need to learn hundreds of quotes to get a good mark! :smile:
Original post by Chiringuito
I don't really belong here because I did Highers last year, but regarding English, I learnt about 15 quotes for my drama (Streetcar Named Desire) and then I memorised one poem and learnt a few quotes from about 6 other poems. In the exam I answered on the poem I had learnt. Got an A band 1 in the end so don't worry, you don't need to learn hundreds of quotes to get a good mark! :smile:

That's what I thought. I mean in the prelims I got a 15 and a 17 (teacher said it had several elements of a 19/21 essay too) so I'm pretty close, particularly considering the 64% mark for an A.

Can I ask: Is it true that examiners are more lenient on marking the essays because they consider the time restrictions more and the fact teachers are inclined to mark more harshly for appeals etc.?
Reply 91

well, I have a choice of six texts but I'm not sure which to learn :s-smilie: I have one novel, four poems and a play.
I know about 30ish quotes for my novel, but that's purely because I love it sooo much :biggrin:
I'm memorising one of my poems, then learning about 5-10 quotes for one, then only random bits and pieces for the other (it rarely comes up).
I don't want to learn my play, because we got taught it really badly and I don't have time to go through and understand it completely, so I'm just hoping I know my other texts well enough to be able to bend them to any question :confused:
That's what I thought. I mean in the prelims I got a 15 and a 17 (teacher said it had several elements of a 19/21 essay too) so I'm pretty close, particularly considering the 64% mark for an A.

Can I ask: Is it true that examiners are more lenient on marking the essays because they consider the time restrictions more and the fact teachers are inclined to mark more harshly for appeals etc.?

Sounds like you're on track for an A then :smile:. Erm, I'm not sure, I think the fact that the A boundary is lower than for other subjects (e.g. Maths which was 75% for an A last year) probably allows for the fact that it's hard to write essays in the time. I suppose everyone is in the same situation when it comes to the exam and the same percent roughly get As each year so it ends up being fair in the end :smile:. But yes I think teachers often do mark harshly for appeals!
Reply 93

We only do two texts because they are major texts that always have questions (A Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby). I'm not learning any quotes by heart because we have been told quite strictly not to by our teacher, taking advice directly from the principle assessor of English for the SQA.
Reply 94

I wish I could just sit maths and physics tomorrow so I can really focus on the other three, especially English, to make sure can I get an A :/

I got 69/100 on my prelim, essays and close reading, and for my folio my essays are around the 19 mark, hopefully more.
We only do two texts because they are major texts that always have questions (A Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby). I'm not learning any quotes by heart because we have been told quite strictly not to by our teacher, taking advice directly from the principle assessor of English for the SQA.

So you don't use quotes? :s-smilie:
Reply 96
I wish I could just sit maths and physics tomorrow so I can really focus on the other three, especially English, to make sure can I get an A :/

I got 69/100 on my prelim, essays and close reading, and for my folio my essays are around the 19 mark, hopefully more.

I got 58% on my prelim /: which is well.. at least I passed..
My teacher hasn't been at school for the past month so we've had a number of random cover teachers not really doing anything so our class barely knows our texts :frown:
I have no idea what my folio marks could be as our teacher never gave us predicted marks for any essays either :s-smilie: meaning I had no idea what level I was writing at until the prelim! :L
Though I'd join in!
I've been mainly focusing on physics for the past two weeks, which definitely worked seeing as I went from 48% to 83% in prelims haha, but now I've just been finalizing the 'perfect' english notes for when I actually have to start down and doing essays.. managed to get 70% for the prelim so hopefully the questions are good/easily manipulated!
Reply 98
So you don't use quotes? :s-smilie:

Sure I use quotes, I just don't go out the was to memorise a bunch of them that a probably wont use or will make sure I use even though they aren't relevant. You get no marks for using quotes, you get marks for presenting evidence from the texts, which is as straight forward as paraphrasing.

I got 58% on my prelim /: which is well.. at least I passed..
My teacher hasn't been at school for the past month so we've had a number of random cover teachers not really doing anything so our class barely knows our texts :frown:
I have no idea what my folio marks could be as our teacher never gave us predicted marks for any essays either :s-smilie: meaning I had no idea what level I was writing at until the prelim! :L

I'm even more confident with physics now 'cause I got my second prelim back today and got 92%, even though I found it terribly difficult!

The English exam is just so hard to predict. With other subjects like maths/physics you can go in quite confident of your grade, but with English it's pretty difficult cause you can do great, alright, or totally bomb it quite easily.

Oh that's terribly, theres nothing worse than not having your own teacher!

My teacher graded both of my essays at 19 but made it quite clear that hers are ver conservative/harsh estimates. Doesn't your teacher put a mark on your critical essays?
Sure I use quotes, I just don't go out the was to memorise a bunch of them that a probably wont use or will make sure I use even though they aren't relevant. You get no marks for using quotes, you get marks for presenting evidence from the texts, which is as straight forward as paraphrasing.

I'm even more confident with physics now 'cause I got my second prelim back today and got 92%, even though I found it terribly difficult!

The English exam is just so hard to predict. With other subjects like maths/physics you can go in quite confident of your grade, but with English it's pretty difficult cause you can do great, alright, or totally bomb it quite easily.

Oh that's terribly, theres nothing worse than not having your own teacher!

My teacher graded both of my essays at 19 but made it quite clear that hers are ver conservative/harsh estimates. Doesn't your teacher put a mark on your critical essays?

That is the same with my teacher. Folios never marked, only two essays I've done have ever been marked, but they were 15 and a 17 under harsh marking regulations so I'm not quite confident of an A, but it is well within my grasp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending