The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenLantern1
Coper level last month was simple; it was gold level last month that was crazy!

Ooops, I meant copper level two months ago. The one with the EU flag. That one was a question from the depths of hell.
Original post by david2457
The gold question should be the rg question, rg is so much easier.
Try googling strong nuclear force graph, and you should be looking for one with an energy value in the eVs, not some with MeVs

David man remeber we helped each other out so much last time in April.

I would be eternally grateful if you private message (PM) me the answer for RG asap!!!
For those stuck on Rg, it has nothing to do with physics. You don't need to know a thing from physics other than how half lives work.

The thing from Rg that is stumping most of you is the mathematics, for which you have to know the rules about exponentials and logarithms. (at least additional maths from GCSE or A2 maths).
Original post by Randophera
Ooops, I meant copper level two months ago. The one with the EU flag. That one was a question from the depths of hell.

I thought the EU one was really obvious that it was to do with that? Oh well. Each person obviously has difference strengths or ways of recognising stuff; like you managed this Rg whereas I'm too tired to understand all the exponentials and whatnot. :tongue: Time to assault some A2 Maths. friends. :wink:
Reply 524
For those stuck on Rg, it has nothing to do with physics. You don't need to know a thing from physics other than how half lives work.

The thing from Rg that is stumping most of you is the mathematics, for which you have to know the rules about exponentials and logarithms. (at least additional maths from GCSE or A2 maths).

Could you please give me the answer? I don't really care any more, there is no way in a million years (less than the half-life of the damned U-235, it seems) I could get this. I'd just like to see the explanation which C3L6 gives.
Original post by Lutski
No, not really. I've been given an A2 Physics textbook with a bunch of seemingly relevant formulae, but I don't know what to do with them.

My friend said that she found the answer from the deep, murky depths of Google. I might scour it as hard as possible, in that case. D:
Original post by Lutski
Could you please give me the answer? I don't really care any more, there is no way in a million years (less than the half-life of the damned U-235, it seems) I could get this. I'd just like to see the explanation which C3L6 gives.

They don't show the mathematical proof of the answer! They just tell you blah blah blah age of the sun/Earth and how it's linked to Uranium.
Reply 527
They don't show the mathematical proof of the answer! They just tell you blah blah blah age of the sun/Earth and how it's linked to Uranium.

... please? :<
Original post by loopy786
I thought the EU one was really obvious that it was to do with that? Oh well. Each person obviously has difference strengths or ways of recognising stuff; like you managed this Rg whereas I'm too tired to understand all the exponentials and whatnot. :tongue: Time to assault some A2 Maths. friends. :wink:

I don't live within the EU, so of course news of the controversy has never reached me, and I didn't even know they had a code system.
The more I think of it, time seems to slow down whenever a new challenge comes out. Instead of living life in days, I live them in minutes that I haven't solved this month's challenge! :tongue:
The more I think of it, time seems to slow down whenever a new challenge comes out. Instead of living life in days, I live them in minutes that I haven't solved this month's challenge! :tongue:

QFT:biggrin:
Any-one got some tips, or can PM me the answer to gold? I understand the graph, but fail to see what the answer is or how to reach it!
Original post by Lutski
I've tried this again today and even saw my physics teacher for help, nothing much came of it... ugh..

your physics teacher couldn't do it?!
Original post by *QueenBeee
I have another qu! If I have a drawing of a half cell and need to spot the mistakes. The metal rod is manganese && solution is made up of Mn2+, MnO4-, H+ .
Question.....why should the metal rod NOT be manganese??? (it should be inert electrode or platinum wire)

Please help!! I'm desperate!!! Xx

Imo, in the half cell with Manganate ions, they get reduced to Mn2+ ions. So the half cell would be MnO4-/Mn2+. Manganese metal has an oxidation state of 0, and is obviously not Mn2+. If you use a Manganese electrode, then you'd have three different forms of manganese in the half cell, Mn, Mn2+ and MnO4-. It wouldn't be a Mn2+ and MnO4- half cell anymore.

Just my opinion. I could be dead wrong, so please don't flame me.

Spoiler

For those who have had enough the answer is above for rg.
On gold, I don't get why it says hartree next to the answer... does it want the answer in terms of a coefficient of a hartree... how many sig figs does it want the answer to??
Somebody please help me with Gold I have absolutely no clue what to do.
Original post by gmseahorse
Somebody please help me with Gold I have absolutely no clue what to do.

Ditto...I've been stuck on this with my brother for over an hour now, and have looked at everyone's comments and clues as well as trying my own thing and no luck!

I keep getting standard form answers, and would appreciate someone posting a slightly more revealing clue (or just 'spoiler' it) :smile:
Reply 538
Original post by Harantony
Ditto...I've been stuck on this with my brother for over an hour now, and have looked at everyone's comments and clues as well as trying my own thing and no luck!

I keep getting standard form answers, and would appreciate someone posting a slightly more revealing clue (or just 'spoiler' it) :smile:

The graph relates to the strong nuclear force. Look up these graphs on google images and eventually you might find a graph which gives the answer. The graph I found gave the answer in eV and I just converted this to Hartree.

The answer is

Spoiler

Oh that's a bit clearer now :smile: Thank you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest