The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Physics paper 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys :-) what did you put for the question that asked you to previously calculate the final speed of the falling tile, but the following question which asked why the calculated speed was different than the technicians? I put because the calculated speed was an average? Fail!!!
Original post by carmen_
Hey guys :-) what did you put for the question that asked you to previously calculate the final speed of the falling tile, but the following question which asked why the calculated speed was different than the technicians? I put because the calculated speed was an average? Fail!!!

I think I said something along the lines of some of the energy was used in other ways (eg. sound) but I don't really have much confidence in that answer. :redface:
Reply 62
I put either energy loss or air resistance :smile: can't remember!
:smile: when will the paper be online under past papers to look at? will it be after we get our results? :smile:
hopefully if the pass mark is lowered that much I'll scrape a 1 in either section, good luck everyone with the rest of your exams! thankfully I'm not sitting standard grade maths today but int 2 maths in a week or so :smile:
Original post by jamieguitar101
Hi, what is the contents of the standard grade results envelope?

One sheet which is a summary of your attainment.

Another sheet which is a breakdown of the sections etc (like for French : Writing, Reading etc).

Another sheet which is a letter from the SQA saying good luck etc.
Original post by eilidhb
Did anyone else get 15.5m/s for the falling tile question? [/QU

I think I got something like that! :smile:
Reply 67
For the question about streamlining, would shaving his legs be correct?

LOL.
emm, wasnt he wearing one of those tracksuits or overalls so it wouldnt really matter. But the question doesnt always refer to the diagram given so you might get it, especially if you wrote that he wasnt wearing anything over it. Would shaving your legs even help alot?
Original post by nerd434
It said what has the cyclist done in order to reduce friction? I think the answer was that he wore streamlined clothing.

I wrote streamlined helmet.. as a massive cycling fan I know this is what they do as he was wearing a track/time trial helmet as opposed to the standard road helmet.
Original post by nerd434
It said what has the cyclist done in order to reduce friction? I think the answer was that he wore streamlined clothing.

I said he wore skin tight clothing which minimised friction from his clothes to the air.
Reply 70
i said he leaned over
That bike one is one of the ones I hate. It's one of the ones where there are actually loads of perfectly legitimate answers but the mark scheme only accepts a few. I used to hate that when you went through the past papers and the teacher would say "That answers right and I'd give you the mark but it's not on the answer sheet so I cant." :frown:
Was the biker wearing full streamlined clothing or just shorts?

I can't remember if it was all full length (legs, sleeves etc.) but I'm sure that he was wearing one of the skintight lycra outfits. Certainly no baggy clothing- it was all skintight as far as I remember.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys! tad late.. but did anyone else find this years paper harder than all the past papers?
Original post by JamieDWMiller
Hey guys! tad late.. but did anyone else find this years paper harder than all the past papers?

Yep. I did and so did the rest of my class. Teacher wasn't happy with it and said it's one of the hardest she's ever seen. I'm trying not to think about it. :frown:
Original post by tasha96
Yep. I did and so did the rest of my class. Teacher wasn't happy with it and said it's one of the hardest she's ever seen. I'm trying not to think about it. :frown:

Remember, they can't fail everyone if 60% of people have failed for example they have to nudge the pass mark to get roughly the same percentage as last years'.

Quick Reply