The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE's affect me doing a law degree?

Hi.
Basically I didn't do so well in my gcse's at school. I got
1 A
4 B's
6 C's

But I would really like to do a law degree at university.
If I were to get good grades in my A levels would they overlook my GCSE results? Just wondering because I was a bit silly back then and didn't realise the importance, and now I do I'm going to get much better grades in my A levels so I just hope my GCSE results wont affect me getting into law at uni too much.

Also, what A level grades would I need to do law at uni? Im not aiming for oxbridge or anything like that.

Thanks
Reply 1
Myself, i would look around the unis and see what grades they want you to get for law.
they will look at a levels and they will look at maths and english GCSE as well.
Reply 2
You should be fine if you get good A levels. The most important thing is to get a good degree from a good uni. BBB should be enough. But if it isn't you could always do an undergraduate degree in another subject and then do a 1 year law conversion course.
Reply 3
If you have Maths and English and not applying for Oxbridge those grades won't hold you back.
Original post by Beebumble
If you have Maths and English and not applying for Oxbridge those grades won't hold you back.

This is completely incorrect. Unless he has mitigating circumstances, he will struggle to get into any of the 'top' law schools (LSE, UCL, King's, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick.)

Outside of those law schools, you're probably right.
Reply 5
Original post by Tsunami2011
This is completely incorrect. Unless he has mitigating circumstances, he will struggle to get into any of the 'top' law schools (LSE, UCL, King's, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick.)

Outside of those law schools, you're probably right.

My bad completely I ignored the law degree bit:facepalm:.
Reply 6
Original post by Smoose
Hi.
Basically I didn't do so well in my gcse's at school. I got
1 A
4 B's
6 C's

But I would really like to do a law degree at university.
If I were to get good grades in my A levels would they overlook my GCSE results? Just wondering because I was a bit silly back then and didn't realise the importance, and now I do I'm going to get much better grades in my A levels so I just hope my GCSE results wont affect me getting into law at uni too much.

Also, what A level grades would I need to do law at uni? Im not aiming for oxbridge or anything like that.

Thanks

They are probably below average for a normal applicant to RG/1994 law schools, but they are not catastrophic. Heck if you destroy your AS's you can still apply to Cambridge with a chance.

Firstly have you got any mitigating circumstances? These can either be personal or that your school was in special measures or similar. If you do they will either not pay much attention or contextualise them. For example I know someone with similar grades to you who's about to graduate from LSE, known for loving GCSEs, but they took into account that his school got shut down the year he left because fewer than 10% were making 5 A*-C. If you do have any mitigating circumstances it can be worth emailing the admissions tutor just to make sure they know them.

Otherwise good predictions, PS etc. should mean they don't hinder you too much, probably excluding those Tsunami listed. If you can do well on it a good tactic might be to apply to Birmingham as the LNAT gives them more data to look at, rather than just GCSEs and ASs.

I'd add Manchester to Tsunami's list, in fact even more so, as they openly say you need 5 As at GCSE. http://www.law.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/atoz_2012/course/?code=01052&pg=3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending