The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yoghurt
Not sure if it's been officially announced anywhere yet, but Jamie Carragher will be one of the pundits for ITV during Euro 2012. Will be fun seeing everyone's baffled faces as they try and decipher what he's actually saying

Typical ITV. Going to be crap coverage as per usual from them.
Reply 8061
Original post by Gob Bluth
Typical ITV. Going to be crap coverage as per usual from them.

To be fair to ITV at least they're actually going to Poland/Ukraine. BBC are going to be broadcasting from Salford :s-smilie:
Original post by Yoghurt
Not sure if it's been officially announced anywhere yet, but Jamie Carragher will be one of the pundits for ITV during Euro 2012. Will be fun seeing everyone's baffled faces as they try and decipher what he's actually saying

BBC should have gotten him and teamed him with Adebayor. That would have been a spectacle.
Reply 8063
Original post by Stu Laverty
BBC should have gotten him and teamed him with Adebayor. That would have been a spectacle.

Adebayor was brilliant at the world cup. Wasn't it his phone that went off mid-broadcast and it was his wife going into labour?
The positive thing the accounts showed is our long term stability.

Bar the exceptional losses, attributable to the previous owners, we would have broken even despite a lack of UCL and reasonable investment in the squad. Firstly that means we won't be subject to a Leeds style decline if we don't qualify in the next few years. Secondly, when we do qualify for the UCL again we should be making large profits.

Finances look heathy, and hopefully signify more investment in the summer.
Reply 8065
Original post by Stirlo
Adebayor was brilliant at the world cup. Wasn't it his phone that went off mid-broadcast and it was his wife going into labour?

He hung up on her as well :adore: :rofl2:
Reply 8066
Original post by Stirlo

Original post by TM94
He hung up on her as well :adore: :rofl2:

:biggrin: I remember this. What a lad.
Reply 8067
Original post by Jim-Jam
Downing just had a brilliant season and he'd been consistent for years. Therefore he was one of the best options available to us. Simple.

But hey, guess we should have gotten Hazard. :rolleyes:

*******s.

The best option would of been to scout the european leagues for a winger of equal ilk who would of been available for 1/2 the price.

We went in heavy on british talent expecting them to hi the ground running. But we should learn from Man City - buyung the best of the rest isn't good enough. You need to buy the best.
Reply 8068
Just imagine what Liverpool would be if we accepted DIC in 2007 to buy the club, instead of opting for Hicks and Gillet.

Reds linked with Elm, he has scored 13 goals in 50 appearances, (okay in the PL he might not get that many) and he has got 17 assists, that's pretty good and if we can get a midfielder that is heavily involved in 30 goals a season and is young I would be extremely happy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pbsjohnz
Just imagine what Liverpool would be if we accepted DIC in 2007 to buy the club, instead of opting for Hicks and Gillet.

Reds linked with Elm, he has scored 13 goals in 50 appearances, (okay in the PL he might not get that many) and he has got 17 assists, that's pretty good and if we can get a midfielder that is heavily involved in 30 goals a season and is young I would be extremely happy.

DIC haven't bought a club after that rumour have they? Tbh we have little idea if they would have spent extravagently or not.
Premier League televised football packages up for grabs More live Premier League games will be shown from 2013-14 season

The Premier League has issued an invitation to tender for the domestic UK broadcast rights for the 2013-14 to 2015-16 football seasons.

It says 154 matches will be shown live on TV each season from 2013-14 - 16 more than currently broadcast and more than 40% of all top-level matches

The extra 16 live games comes as matches are moved away from Saturday 3pm kick-off times, due to Europa League involvement or police advice.

No 3pm kick-offs can be shown live.

The 154 games will be split into seven packages comprising five packages of 26 matches and two packages of 12 matches. No one buyer will be allowed to buy more than five packages or 116 matches.

The current rights are held by Sky and ESPN, and a challenge from Al Jazeera is also expected this time round.

"This creates a more attractive and compelling offering for both broadcasters and fans; whilst allowing the continued protection of the Saturday 3pm 'closed window' and minimising further displacement of Premier League fixtures," said the league.

Another sales process will be conducted for two "near live" packages each containing 226 matches, and an internet-based clips package for all 380 matches.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17950726

A lot of our games will be Sunday games due to EL football if we win our qualifying games.

I'd expect the figures to go up somewhat, especially if Al-Jezeera are serious. However, domestically we'll still be in a similar position since all the other clubs will get an increase too.

Not sure if we'll see an increase like we do when the foreign broadcast rights are sold.
Reply 8071
Original post by Zerforax
DIC haven't bought a club after that rumour have they? Tbh we have little idea if they would have spent extravagently or not.

The main guy in DIC is an LFC fan, he is a season ticket holder even, that's why they don't want to buy any1 else.
Reply 8072
How come in England they show so few live games? I live in Africa and we get to see every game live and about 4 games every week end on HD. The big teams are normally shown in HD. By big I mean United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.
Reply 8073
Yep in India, we get about 35+ games a season. I remember we didn't get Wolves at home but I've been in England for the rest of the year...
Reply 8074
Original post by pbsjohnz
How come in England they show so few live games? I live in Africa and we get to see every game live and about 4 games every week end on HD. The big teams are normally shown in HD. By big I mean United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

They can't show sat 3pm ko so that lower league games can have more spectators at their stadiums. Sky and ESPN are currently show live PL games, so they can't really show any PL games simultaneously due to ratings I think (although Sky normally shows a PL games at the same time as FA cup games are shown by ESPN/ITV at later stages). So that eliminates quite a lot of matches at game weeks.
Reply 8075
Original post by mr tim
They can't show sat 3pm ko so that lower league games can have more spectators at their stadiums. Sky and ESPN are currently show live PL games, so they can't really show any PL games simultaneously due to ratings I think (although Sky normally shows a PL games at the same time as FA cup games are shown by ESPN/ITV at later stages). So that eliminates quite a lot of matches at game weeks.

Oh okay so it makes it fairer to lower league teams. Because over here every1 supports the main 4, there are some Tottenham and Everton fans, and now there are quite a few City fans, they were all ex-Chelsea though.
We'll be on tv a lot more next season since we'll be back in the Europa League so a lot of games will be on Sunday.
Original post by Zerforax
We'll be on tv a lot more next season since we'll be back in the Europa League so a lot of games will be on Sunday.

Nope. A lot of those games will be 3pm kick offs on Sundays and won't be on TV unless it's against one of the big teams.
http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

His latest blog is on Liverpool's finances.

Very good read and shows while all isn't lost, we do need to start bucking up otherwise we're going to fall behind the top teams even further.
Reply 8079
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
Nope. A lot of those games will be 3pm kick offs on Sundays and won't be on TV unless it's against one of the big teams.

Usually only one 3pm Sunday kickoff a week isn't there? And it's always on Sky.

Latest