The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Felchingman
I will be entering U1 at McGill for the Bcom this Fall, and as a result I have to declare my major.
I was leaning towards an Hounours in Economics as I'm quite interested by investment banking, but I wonder if this program may get you to study abroad, the Management faculty has a few interesting study abroad opportunities but it is for Management students, and the Econ program isn't what you call Management really.

I was thinking maybe the major in International Business could be interesting, but I'm quite put off by the Desautels faculty reputation and so that's why the Honours in Econ is my first choice.

As a management student, what do you think offers the best job prospects? Thanks for helping me out.

I got away with doing all sorts of courses outside of my programme structure. You have some flexibility. The challenges you'd have with Honours Econs and study abroad are:

First, you may find it difficult getting credit equivalent to your honours level courses.

Second, Econ 257D1/D2, 250 D1/D2 and 352 D1/D2 are all full year courses. Going away for a term could screw you up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know what Accepted Pending results mean??
Reply 302
Original post by Alexlol28

Means your in provided you pass or get satisfactory results pretty much. Mcgill right?

You're accepted but they're waiting for your final examination results to confirm. Unless you completely mess up your exams you'll be fine
Original post by Azland
Means your in provided you pass or get satisfactory results pretty much. Mcgill right?

Yes McGill, so let's say if I am predicted ABB, if I get BBB, should that be fine?
Also how would I get Edexcel to send my results directly to McGill?
Reply 305
Yes McGill, so let's say if I am predicted ABB, if I get BBB, should that be fine?

Are you going to accept the offer? I.e. Are you going to join the cool club? Which course?

From what I have seen on forums the offer is pretty much unconditional as long as you don't fail you will be fine. I think they minimum for each department may apply if it is really competitive. http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst9202_McGill-Offer-remains-valid-provided-you-maintain-your-current-level-of-academic-achievement.aspx

I need to know the answer to the last question too! :L
Original post by Yash13
Are you going to accept the offer? I.e. Are you going to join the cool club? Which course?

From what I have seen on forums the offer is pretty much unconditional as long as you don't fail you will be fine. I think they minimum for each department may apply if it is really competitive. http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst9202_McGill-Offer-remains-valid-provided-you-maintain-your-current-level-of-academic-achievement.aspx

I need to know the answer to the last question too! :L

Yes I am going to accept it soon, i got an offer for Materials Engineering. How about you?
Reply 307
Yes I am going to accept it soon, i got an offer for Materials Engineering. How about you?

Awesome. I am going to study Economics. I am not what courses I will get credit for from my A Levels :L Does anyone know about this?
Reply 308

Their website says.

Mining & Materials Engineering

Final AL grades B, B, C;
higher on predicted

Guessing BBB should be fine. Quite wierd though as all the other engineering types electrical,chemical etc have like AAB or ABB as the requirements.

Also, I'm not sure about Edexcel but for me CIE has a form which you have to fill up and pay a small ammount. They will mail your results directly from their cambridge office after that. Should be the same for edexcel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Yash13
Awesome. I am going to study Economics. I am not what courses I will get credit for from my A Levels :L Does anyone know about this?

You can ask the admissions team if you really want to know now but you'll be able to see the credited courses on your transcript on Minerva shortly before school starts (it's going to be around the time when you can start choosing your classes if I remember correctly).

I'm guessing around 30 credits for most programs, less for engineering
Reply 310
Original post by chad_bro_chill
You can ask the admissions team if you really want to know now but you'll be able to see the credited courses on your transcript on Minerva shortly before school starts (it's going to be around the time when you can start choosing your classes if I remember correctly).

I'm guessing around 30 credits for most programs, less for engineering

Rep for the help. Thanks that makes sense. If it doesn't come up before June 18th (when I am supposed to register for courses) I will check with admissions. Where are you now? Imperial? I am thinking of going to McGill and then doing Masters either in the US or UK. :smile:
Original post by Yash13
Rep for the help. Thanks that makes sense. If it doesn't come up before June 18th (when I am supposed to register for courses) I will check with admissions. Where are you now? Imperial? I am thinking of going to McGill and then doing Masters either in the US or UK. :smile:

Yeah did BEng at McGill and doing MSc at Imperial now. I think Masters in US/UK is a good idea, it enables you to explore other options and discover some new places. With a good degree from McGill you will be able to pretty much go anywhere. I had friends from my program go to MIT/Berkeley/Cambridge; of course you need to get excellent grades, but that's really up to you, I'm just saying the McGill name can go a long way
Reply 312
Yeah did BEng at McGill and doing MSc at Imperial now. I think Masters in US/UK is a good idea, it enables you to explore other options and discover some new places. With a good degree from McGill you will be able to pretty much go anywhere. I had friends from my program go to MIT/Berkeley/Cambridge; of course you need to get excellent grades, but that's really up to you, I'm just saying the McGill name can go a long way

That's amazing! I hope I can get two top names on my CV as well. Where you thinking of ending up, location-wise? Do you like it here? I need a change lol. I hope I can get into the US universities I have always wanted to go there. Wow those are top institutions. Keeping my GPA high enough is the new task in hand. So true it seems to have a very good international reputation hence my decision to go there :biggrin:
Original post by Yash13
That's amazing! I hope I can get two top names on my CV as well. Where you thinking of ending up, location-wise? Do you like it here? I need a change lol. I hope I can get into the US universities I have always wanted to go there. Wow those are top institutions. Keeping my GPA high enough is the new task in hand. So true it seems to have a very good international reputation hence my decision to go there :biggrin:

I took a grad scheme job here in the UK to start my career with a large multinational organization. Ultimately I'd like to have an international career with opportunities to work all over the world so I don't really know where I'll be in 5-10 years, but for now I'm staying in the UK.

I like London, though it's very different from Montreal. Both cities are great. I understand why you would want a change. I lived in France when I was younger and then lived in US/Canada for 11 years so for me it was exactly the opposite as you, I got a bit fed up with North American culture and wanted to come back to Europe... What's great about going abroad for uni is that you'll be able to compare the two lifestyles and who knows, you might want to start your career in North America.. But you still have the option of coming to the UK after anyway.
Reply 314
I took a grad scheme job here in the UK to start my career with a large multinational organization. Ultimately I'd like to have an international career with opportunities to work all over the world so I don't really know where I'll be in 5-10 years, but for now I'm staying in the UK.

I like London, though it's very different from Montreal. Both cities are great. I understand why you would want a change. I lived in France when I was younger and then lived in US/Canada for 11 years so for me it was exactly the opposite as you, I got a bit fed up with North American culture and wanted to come back to Europe... What's great about going abroad for uni is that you'll be able to compare the two lifestyles and who knows, you might want to start your career in North America.. But you still have the option of coming to the UK after anyway.

Congratulations! I deduce it was probably pretty helpful having McGill and Imperial on your CV . Fair play, the UK has such great employment opportunities and I really love central London so I wouldn't mind coming back to that but the suburbs are a bit **** here, which explains my eagerness to leave.

It has a lot to offer but I would like to try Montreal now and get a better idea of different cultures. That's a long time and you've been to some of the best cities I suppose: Paris, Montreal and now London. Haha I hope I don't get fed up although I will probably select a masters program in a location where I want to work. Very true, the options are there whether it be the US, Canada or back home in the UK. What sector is your job in? If it is finance, I could use some hints. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Yash13
Congratulations! I deduce it was probably pretty helpful having McGill and Imperial on your CV . Fair play, the UK has such great employment opportunities and I really love central London so I wouldn't mind coming back to that but the suburbs are a bit **** here, which explains my eagerness to leave.

It has a lot to offer but I would like to try Montreal now and get a better idea of different cultures. That's a long time and you've been to some of the best cities I suppose: Paris, Montreal and now London. Haha I hope I don't get fed up although I will probably select a masters program in a location where I want to work. Very true, the options are there whether it be the US, Canada or back home in the UK. What sector is your job in? If it is finance, I could use some hints. :smile:

I've lived in Paris, Washington, Montreal and now London. Yes, I'd say these are nice cities, each with their own culture you could say. And no, my job is in engineering with a major oil & gas company. I didn't sellout for finance/IB jobs :smile: (seems to be common amongst engineers at Imperial, I didn't notice it too much at McGill)
Reply 316
I've lived in Paris, Washington, Montreal and now London. Yes, I'd say these are nice cities, each with their own culture you could say. And no, my job is in engineering with a major oil & gas company. I didn't sellout for finance/IB jobs :smile: (seems to be common amongst engineers at Imperial, I didn't notice it too much at McGill)

Thatt **** cray add DC to the list. haha. Every place has its own good and bad, it's just going to be about which place is right for me at the end of the day. LOOL! I am a wannabe sellout :colondollar: Actually I don't know I feel if I can become an Economist I would much prefer it but I have plenty of time to decide. Yes, I know I have friends going to Imperial and they are already telling me they want to be investment bankers. That's good, McGill probably has less of these 'sellouts' :tongue:
Original post by Yash13
Thatt **** cray add DC to the list. haha. Every place has its own good and bad, it's just going to be about which place is right for me at the end of the day. LOOL! I am a wannabe sellout :colondollar: Actually I don't know I feel if I can become an Economist I would much prefer it but I have plenty of time to decide. Yes, I know I have friends going to Imperial and they are already telling me they want to be investment bankers. That's good, McGill probably has less of these 'sellouts' :tongue:

HAha yeah I do like to move around quite a bit.. I feel I start to get bored if I stay in the same city for too long. I pack my things and move whenever I get the chance really.. I want to try and live in as many countries as I can before I die, you know YOLO!

Nothing wrong with "selling out" haha, I was just joking around. Finance/IB is a great career, just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. But like you say, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. I just don't think it was for me that's all. Personally I prefer engineering and would feel bad just dropping everything I've been studying for years (plus I don't want to work 60+ hours/week)
Reply 318
HAha yeah I do like to move around quite a bit.. I feel I start to get bored if I stay in the same city for too long. I pack my things and move whenever I get the chance really.. I want to try and live in as many countries as I can before I die, you know YOLO!

Nothing wrong with "selling out" haha, I was just joking around. Finance/IB is a great career, just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. But like you say, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. I just don't think it was for me that's all. Personally I prefer engineering and would feel bad just dropping everything I've been studying for years (plus I don't want to work 60+ hours/week)

Haha that's pretty awesome, I respect that. I would like to do the same lol but I doubt I'll be able to beat you. Lool :cool: that's the motto.

Lol :smile: I am still prety young and naive bout careers so I just look up average salaries and pick the career with the highest. In reality, I am going to see what I want to do first then decide. Although, I do like money :biggrin: Ah man your getting best of both the high salary and the job you like. I mean engineers earn **** loads :cool: I hear that IB isn't what is made out to be due to the fact they make you work like a dog or worse. If I get into Harvard or Yale for a Phd in Economics (unlikely) I might just shoot for a job in research e.g. IMF cause that sounds pretty baws. Let me get my BA first though, I hear McGill is pretty hard to get a high GPA :frown:
Would anyone know if its possible to switch majors within a Faculty?
How would you get round to doing so?

Quick Reply