The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
How do I convert an answer to Standard Form using the following calculator?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

In Physics calculations, I sometimes get big numbers like 3000000, and I prefer not to waste time counting the number of 0's (I could also miscount accidentally).. If I press the S <--> D button nothing happens. There must be a way to convert an answer to standard form?

Thanks

There may be a special button or perhaps you can set up the calculator to show standard form. However, one way is to use common sense to trick the calculator. Multiply by one followed by six noughts, this may result in the calculator displaying in standard form and THEN subtract 6 from the index. If this does not work then repeat and this time subtract 12 from the index.

If the number is small, then divide by one followed by 6 noughts, and ADD 6 to the index.

I suggest always using a million then you will remember to adjust the index by 6, or 12 etc
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by steve2005
There may be a special button or perhaps you can set up the calculator to show standard form. However, one way is to use common sense to trick the calculator. Multiply by one followed by six noughts, this may result in the calculator displaying in standard form and THEN subtract 6 from the index. If this does not work then repeat and this time subtract 12 from the index.

If the number is small, then divide by one followed by 6 noughts, and ADD 6 to the index.

I suggest always using a million then you will remember to adjust the index by 6, or 12 etc

Thanks! I think I will go with the ENG button method (as its simpler). steve2005 I tried +rep you but it says I have reached the limit..

Btw whoever negged me, I don't care lol
Reply 3
Shift

setup

7: Sci
Reply 4
I think ENG gives answers like x times 10^3 , or x times 10^6 , or x times 10^9 I don't think ENG is standard form . See below
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by BabyMaths
Shift

setup

7: Sci

Thanks! How do you get out of sci mode?
Reply 7
Shift

Setup

8: Norm

Then choose 1 or 2. I prefer 2.
Reply 8
Original post by BabyMaths
Shift

Setup

8: Norm

Then choose 1 or 2. I prefer 2.

What is the difference between the two? Also which one is the original setting? (as I wish to return to that setting)

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Guys I'm confused. I type 55500000 into calc then ENG it but it gives me 55.5x 10^6. So what exactly is the ENG button then if it's not standard form?
anyone reccomend any standard form calculators?
could anyone recommend any online calculators for standard form?
Original post by aray202xx
could anyone recommend any online calculators for standard form?

Old thread.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=standard+form+1%2B2*3%5E4

Does that help?
Reply 13
How do i simplify 20^4*50^4 =?
Original post by Macfcai1
How do i simplify 20^4*50^4 =?

20^4*50^4 is the same as (20*50)^4 which is the same as 1000^4
Reply 15
Closed for necroposting.

Latest