The Student Room Group

The 'should I take A-level further maths?' megathread

If you're not too sure whether you should take A-level further maths, then post here!

Try to give some context with your posts - current grades, other subjects, what you want to do after, that kind of thing, it means that other people can give more personalised responses. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got my A* at maths early, only thing is I scraped it ( literally got the A* mark, nothing more). I'm currently taking the Aqa further Maths GCSE/Level 2 qualification. And I don't find it too hard - It's just remembering the stuff.

For some reason I don't think I'll be able to cope with further Maths at A-level, but I need it for economics.

any advice?
(edited 11 years ago)
If you love maths, you will float, if you like maths, you will sink.
Reply 3
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
If you love maths, you will float, if you like maths, you will sink.

If I like maths?
Reply 4
Its ok I guess. I did the edexcel FM, so not sure how well you'll do for AQA one. But since you managed to get an A*, although narrowly, you may do well on it. Just keep on practising past papers and revise well.
I do edexcel.

AS further maths is not hard at all (I would say easier than A2 normal maths), A2 is where it gets interesting. I think anyone who likes maths and is reasonably good at it could get a B at least.
Reply 6
I'd be taking edexcel next year I think
Reply 7
I'm in year 13 and I do Further Maths. FM at AS isn't hard, most of the concepts are very simple and easy to understand. At A2 it does get a lot harder, but FM helps a lot with normal Maths. I'd definitely recommend taking it and if you put the effort in, you'll definitely be able to cope with it.
Reply 8
Original post by darius
I'm in year 13 and I do Further Maths. FM at AS isn't hard, most of the concepts are very simple and easy to understand. At A2 it does get a lot harder, but FM helps a lot with normal Maths. I'd definitely recommend taking it and if you put the effort in, you'll definitely be able to cope with it.

Thanks man :smile:
Reply 9
I do Maths and Further Maths A2 at the moment. I don't find further maths to be much harder than normal, if you end up doing the mechanics modules (3 - 5) especially, it gets hard. Otherwise further maths is really just different maths to normal. Not much harder, you should be fine. There's a boy in my class who got an A at GCSE maths and didn't do that further GCSE thing (I didn't do it either - no idea what it is) and he's getting straight As in maths and further with a fair few 100%s, but this is probably because he enjoys it and like studying it. If you enjoy it, studying for it shouldn't be hard, and the exams are EASYY. Just do past papers, the exams are the same every year.

You should take it, I think you would probably enjoy it, I don't see why you wouldn't if you like maths. If you revise properly you can easily get A/A* at A2, in my opinion it is one of the easiest A level you can do if you know how to revise it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
sup, im in set 2 in math, and in year 11, ive got A and A* so far in maths gcse,and in august i have to choose my options, and i dont know if i should take further maths, because people say its too hard and people say the teacher isnt good, but i enjoy maths,and the teacher said you have to do 3 hours of work a day to take further maths! but i enjoy maths, so please help and give me opinions please:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Tomcrease
I do Maths and Further Maths A2 at the moment. I don't find further maths to be much harder than normal, if you end up doing the mechanics modules (3 - 5) especially, it gets hard. Otherwise further maths is really just different maths to normal. Not much harder, you should be fine. There's a boy in my class who got an A at GCSE maths and didn't do that further GCSE thing (I didn't do it either - no idea what it is) and he's getting straight As in maths and further with a fair few 100%s, but this is probably because he enjoys it and like studying it. If you enjoy it, studying for it shouldn't be hard, and the exams are EASYY. Just do past papers, the exams are the same every year.

You should take it, I think you would probably enjoy it, I don't see why you wouldn't if you like maths. If you revise properly you can easily get A/A* at A2, in my opinion it is one of the easiest A level you can do if you know how to revise it.

Yeh, what I like about maths is that it is not subjective - atleast not at A Level (I think). I think I will take further Maths. And I'm prepared to study for it. Also, the idea of being able to spend so much time learning maths in a weird way makes me kinda happy - It means I'll be able to really learn the theories and that (How sad is that). Cheers
I got A in GCSE and I'm doing further maths. One thing I'd say is that GCSE grades aren't usually indicative of A-level performance - I got the lowest GCSE grade in my further maths class (I think the other 4 all got A*) yet I'm probably on the highest UMS now. In FP1, which is the first exclusive further module, they got D, C, C, A and I got an A, for example. So you could be ok. I say could - there's not really any telling until you give it a go. Obviously, getting a U or a D or something at GCSE might be a different case. There is a big jump between GCSE and A-level - that goes for most (if not all) subjects, so provided you work smart, you might be able to do it.

You can take up to 4 applied modules in further maths - those can also be part of the ordinary maths A-level, so only the two or three (I think some boards have four?) further pure modules are exclusive to further maths. They introduce more areas of maths (complex numbers, polar coordinates, proof by induction, hyperbolic functions, matrices yah de yah etc etc) and explore other areas in greater depth (differential equations, summations of series, vectors). Have a look at your board's specification to see exactly what topics you'll be doing, maybe take a look at some of them to see if they look good to you.

Regarding the teacher not being good: if the teacher truly is rubbish, then get help elsewhere. Find another teacher to get help from. Ask on here. Try teaching yourself sections if that teacher's that horrendous.

I think 3 hours a day's a bit extreme. I'm teaching myself FP3 at the moment and I do less than that. But don't expect it to be easy, because it's not. If you do decide to take it, you can always drop it if you don't enjoy it/find it too hard. The fact that you enjoy maths is great, it means that you're more likely to do some independent studying, which will help your understanding.
Reply 13
Original post by Tweaky
Yeh, what I like about maths is that it is not subjective - atleast not at A Level (I think). I think I will take further Maths. And I'm prepared to study for it. Also, the idea of being able to spend so much time learning maths in a weird way makes me kinda happy - It means I'll be able to really learn the theories and that (How sad is that). Cheers

Yeah, one of my favourite things about further maths compared to normal maths is that you get to see more interesting proofs and a theories. For example when you do fp2 you will do eulers relation and de Movoires theorem which are both incredible. There's no comparison to that in normal maths sadly.
Reply 14
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I got A in GCSE and I'm doing further maths. One thing I'd say is that GCSE grades aren't usually indicative of A-level performance - I got the lowest GCSE grade in my further maths class (I think the other 4 all got A*) yet I'm probably on the highest UMS now. In FP1, which is the first exclusive further module, they got D, C, C, A and I got an A, for example. So you could be ok. I say could - there's not really any telling until you give it a go. Obviously, getting a U or a D or something at GCSE might be a different case. There is a big jump between GCSE and A-level - that goes for most (if not all) subjects, so provided you work smart, you might be able to do it.

You can take up to 4 applied modules in further maths - those can also be part of the ordinary maths A-level, so only the two or three (I think some boards have four?) further pure modules are exclusive to further maths. They introduce more areas of maths (complex numbers, polar coordinates, proof by induction, hyperbolic functions, matrices yah de yah etc etc) and explore other areas in greater depth (differential equations, summations of series, vectors). Have a look at your board's specification to see exactly what topics you'll be doing, maybe take a look at some of them to see if they look good to you.

Regarding the teacher not being good: if the teacher truly is rubbish, then get help elsewhere. Find another teacher to get help from. Ask on here. Try teaching yourself sections if that teacher's that horrendous.

I think 3 hours a day's a bit extreme. I'm teaching myself FP3 at the moment and I do less than that. But don't expect it to be easy, because it's not. If you do decide to take it, you can always drop it if you don't enjoy it/find it too hard. The fact that you enjoy maths is great, it means that you're more likely to do some independent studying, which will help your understanding.

Yer man I'm in a dilemma with Further Maths AS. It's too much because I really want to do a language :smile: But I love maths like I literally love whizzing my head around countless ends of numbers but I really restricts me into having a more "diverse/all-rounder" choice in A levels because I have to/want to do Biology And Chemistry but I wonder if it's just too much. (Oh and I speak French so I have to do an AS to show at least some level of fluency)!
Reply 15
not too much harder than A-Level Maths imo. the A2 further maths is much harder than AS though (but this largely depends on what units you take)
Reply 16
Go for it, you will probably find it easier than your other subjects. FMath + normal math in total took probably 1/10th the time Geography took me at A level :frown:
it's alright although FP3 vectors will bite you in the arse if you don't understand what the hell you're doing!
Original post by Ilyas
it's alright although FP3 vectors will bite you in the arse if you don't understand what the hell you're doing!

I second that :lol: too bad I can't do vectors from M1 FML ¬¬ Vectors are my downfall.
Original post by Tweaky
If I like maths?

I think the point was that you have to really enjoy maths, not simply find it to be a generally nice subject if you want to suceed at further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest