The Student Room Group

Should I study Psychology?

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Basically, I've had an interest in psychology for as long as I remember - I remember reading my older siblings' psychology textbooks from college when I was younger because it was interesting to me. Ordinarily, I would have then chosen to study the subject at college and pursue a respective degree.

However, I dismissed the idea of being a psychologist because I have a fairly large hearing loss (for which I have hearing aids). I thought, ethically, it would not be right for me to become a psychologist because of the possible risk of mishearing clients (though in one to one situations it is often fine) and perhaps making them feel uncomfortable if I ask them to repeat what they've said. So I chose not to do psychology at college.

But I wonder if this was the wrong choice. If I didn't have a hearing loss, I'd undoubtedly go for psychology. So I am interested in your opinion - was this the right choice? I'm wondering because it's not too late for me to change my mind - I can still do AS Psychology next year (I am a year 12) and even if I didn't, most universities don't require AS/A level Psychology.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Prestoria
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Basically, I've had an interest in psychology for as long as I remember - I remember reading my older siblings' psychology textbooks from college when I was younger because it was interesting to me. Ordinarily, I would have then chosen to study the subject at college and pursue a respective degree.

However, I dismissed the idea of being a psychologist because I have a fairly large hearing loss (for which I have hearing aids). I thought, ethically, it would not be right for me to become a psychologist because of the possible risk of mishearing clients (though in one to one situations it is often fine) and perhaps making them feel uncomfortable if I ask them to repeat what they've said. So I chose not to do psychology at college.

But I wonder if this was the wrong choice. If I didn't have a hearing loss, I'd undoubtedly go for psychology. So I am interested in your opinion - was this the right choice? I'm wondering because it's not too late for me to change my mind - I can still do AS Psychology next year (I am a year 12) and even if I didn't, most universities don't require AS/A level Psychology.

Many thanks in advance.

Hiya, I am currently do A levels and going to do a Psychology degree next year.

First of all to become a Psychologists is a very lengthy process (like 7 years) Are you willing to wait that long?. Also, only the top 5% of graduates become clinical Psychologist.

I think you should do your research. Psychology is one competitive degree. Grade boundaries are high. Alot of people find Psychology 'interesting' and are unsure what they want to do. So they choose a Psychology degree. So again, do your research!

Can you hear fine with your hearing aid? Or do you need to use sign language. I personally believe you should not think of hearing as a problem. Just follow your heart and do what you want to do. I'm sure you'll cope fine :smile:

Goodluck!!
Reply 2
Original post by .Missy
Hiya, I am currently do A levels and going to do a Psychology degree next year.

First of all to become a Psychologists is a very lengthy process (like 7 years) Are you willing to wait that long?. Also, only the top 5% of graduates become clinical Psychologist.

I think you should do your research. Psychology is one competitive degree. Grade boundaries are high. Alot of people find Psychology 'interesting' and are unsure what they want to do. So they choose a Psychology degree. So again, do your research!

Can you hear fine with your hearing aid? Or do you need to use sign language. I personally believe you should not think of hearing as a problem. Just follow your heart and do what you want to do. I'm sure you'll cope fine :smile:

Goodluck!!

Thanks for your response. I did do research, it's just the issue about my hearing that's causing difficulties with regards to deciding whether to do this subject or not. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by Prestoria
Thanks for your response. I did do research, it's just the issue about my hearing that's causing difficulties with regards to deciding whether to do this subject or not. Thanks again!

Aww :/ I hope its not going to be a problem.
Your hearing shouldn't be a problem but you do need to think about the length of time required to become a psychologist. I'm assuming that you're thinking about going into clinical and it is a really competitive career. I'm studying Psychology at undergrad level at the moment on a four year course (have a placement year).
I'm in my second year at the moment and I already want my degree to be over so I can get on with my life. I used to want to be a clinical psychologist but I changed my mind because of the amount of future study. To get on a clinical course you need to gain a lot of work experience first and this is often difficult. The average age to start a clinical course is now 29.
Just think carefully before doing Psychology as a degree. If you do it at University and decide not to do a doctorate then the psychology jobs you can actually do are minimal and a large amount of people are still unemployed several years after graduating.
Reply 5
Thanks for your response and for sharing your current experience. I do intend to do postgraduate study regardless of what subject I'll study, so I think further study wouldn't pose a problem. Thanks again!

Quick Reply