The Student Room Group

25 when I graduate - will Graduate jobs still recruit me?

Basically I will be 25 when I graduate with a masters degree. Will graduate schemes still be interested in me despite my age?
Reply 1
Changed your tune from yesterday a bit...

Spoiler

Planning for Grad-ing with a Masters the day after saying you didn't want to finish 1st yr?
Reply 2
Original post by NGC773
Basically I will be 25 when I graduate with a masters degree. Will graduate schemes still be interested in me despite my age?

I assure you, I cannot guarantee but depends how you plan your route.

If you have some experience under your belt, you will be fine. If not, that would be problematic, most graduate scheme require work experience!! I emphasis this so badly.

Yes, they will be interested regardless of age! In my opinion, as long you're under 30, you have a big opportunity. Don't waste it.

Yes, my friends are 26, 27 and did only BA and got through graduate scheme, so if that helps you to worry less.
Reply 3
Original post by fourdigit
I assure you, I cannot guarantee but depends how you plan your route.

If you have some experience under your belt, you will be fine. If not, that would be problematic, most graduate scheme require work experience!! I emphasis this so badly.

Yes, they will be interested regardless of age! In my opinion, as long you're under 30, you have a big opportunity. Don't waste it.

Yes, my friends are 26, 27 and did only BA and got through graduate scheme, so if that helps you to worry less.

That's good to know.

I will be between 25 and 27 when I graduate, depending on whether I do a placement year and masters.

I was a little concerned but this has helped ease my mind a little.
Reply 4
Why wouldn't they? Graduate schemes typically don't have age limits* and 25 (or 27) is still young. I say this as someone who is 27. It's quite a British attitude that you MUST get your degree in your early 20s and have a graduate job by your mid-20s. On the continent, Germany for example, there is a very different attitude and many don't graduate until their mid-20s or later. It hasn't harmed their economy!

I say British attitude, this isn't necessarily an attitude employers will have, many will prefer those who've got additional life and work experience so it can be an advantage.

*There are exceptions. The armed forces might, for example (maybe 26 - 32 years of age) and the Civil Service, though it has no age limit has such, do want graduates who they'll get at least 10 years out of. At the young age of 25 you will certainly have 10 years worth of employment in you :p: unless you drop down dead at 31...but no one has an age limit of 25. Really it's just a couple of years. It's no big deal.

Original post by Drewski
Changed your tune from yesterday a bit...

Planning for Grad-ing with a Masters the day after saying you didn't want to finish 1st yr?

Did he say in the original post of this thread that he's graduating this summer? He just said "I will be 25 when I graduate with a masters degree". What I think he meant was, "if I do a masters degree, I will be at least 25 when I graduate"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by River85

Did he say in the original post of this thread that he's graduating this summer? He just said "I will be 25 when I graduate with a masters degree". What I think he meant was, "if I do a masters degree, I will be at least 25 when I graduate"

I think that's the point the guy was trying to make. The OP has gone from wanting to drop out in the first year to thinking of graduating with a masters, not even just a BA.

That's clearly a massive jump in intention and fees.
Generally speaking, requirements for "graduate" schemes are expressed in terms of time since you graduated, not age.
Reply 7
Original post by ThePants999
Generally speaking, requirements for "graduate" schemes are expressed in terms of time since you graduated, not age.

Oh. didn't read properly, too early in the morning.

But it's still a fair question to ask and is probably something he's trying to take into consideration in deciding whether to change course or drop out.
Graduate schemes are what it says on the tin a scheme for GRADUATES. 25 is still really young.
Sociology...

I doubt any jobs exist for that pile of dog****.
Reply 10
This thread has some good responses.

I'll be 28 when I graduate with 6 years Armed Forces experience too and was worried I would have missed the boat for graduate jobs.
one or two of the graduates who started at the same time as me during my placement were 28/29/30. One of the placement students was 27!
Graduate schemes don't have an age limit and it is supposed to be discrimination not to hire somebody because of his age.
Reply 13
Original post by kassiopeia
Graduate schemes don't have an age limit and it is supposed to be discrimination not to hire somebody because of his age.

Except when justifiable, which can happen with some graduate schemes where a person, after initial training, won't have much of their working life left to devote to the company. But we're talking late 50s and 60s here, not mid 20s.

Though the the army might have a limit of around 27 years of age. The navy typically take older recruits.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by River85
Except when justifiable, which can happen with some graduate schemes where a person, after initial training, won't have much of their working life left to devote to the company. But we're talking late 50s and 60s here, not mid 20s.

yes and also it can be seen as a plus to be 25+, especially if you you got some work experience, extra qualifications etc.Now that I remember, I know cases of people who have been told that they are too "young" for a certain possition, especially in possitions when you have to talk to senior management and big clients
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest