The Student Room Group

IB exams 2012 start tomorrow :o

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YesDoc
Possibly have the two easiest options for HL Chem... Food and Environmental! :smile: just a lot to learn which is annoying! Anyone else actually strangely looking forward to the chemistry exam? :colondollar:

I am looking forward to them in a sense as well :tongue:

I really like the format of the Chemistry exams. Paper 1 is generally quite enjoyable as is Paper 3 and while Paper 2 can be hard, it gives the ability to choose your questions in Section B.

Any tips on learning the organic pathways, there just so many ! :confused:
Reply 261
Original post by StockholmBoy

I really like the format of the Chemistry exams. Paper 1 is generally quite enjoyable as is Paper 3 and while Paper 2 can be hard, it gives the ability to choose your questions in Section B.

I agree! Well for reaction pathways I've made an A3 poster showing the links between reactions as its shown in the textbook and then added on reagents and conditions etc
Reply 262
Original post by momentalus
This year IB seems to be caming up with some unconventional questions, especially psychology paper 1 why one earth would you ask about cognitive research and ethics. In conclusion it was a lousy paper, however papers 2 and 3 made up for it. Now I am worrying that they will come up with some unusual questions this year in Chemistry HL, so worried. Need to study hard - not going to allow chemistry to drown my hopes =].

My friends thought Paper 1 was lovely, but I disagree. I wish they'd been asking us more "meaty" questions. I was kinda gunning on a nice Cognitie LAQ coming up, but I wouldn't be able to write for an hour about the use of brain imaging technologies in cognitive research, so I chose the cognition and physiology essay in Biological. I'm not sure how well I did on paper 3 as I reckon I just rambled. The Abnormal and Health in Paper 2 was lovely, however.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StockholmBoy

this is what i do for organic pathways :
i usually make a table of 5 columns:
starting reactant product reaction type reagents conditions
a simple example would be:
starting reactant product reaction type reagents conditions
alkene alkane hydrogenation hydrogen 150degreesC / nickel catalyst

just a simple idea, i find it easier to memorize when i put them in a table like that, and then learn them :smile: hope it helps
and btw sry abt the things, i tried to put spaces between the columns but it didnt work :tongue: just match them in order cz it seems too clustered, hope u get the idea :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 264
Original post by IBishell
Did "The Womanizer" and got something completely different to you as well... I discussed the underlying theme of expectations and how it led to a tone of insecurity in the extract :/ haha I really hope the examiner understands what I was trying to say!

And how did you find the Maths SL papers? Paper 1 was a babe but Paper 2... we're not allowed to talk about it yet and I don't think I would want to even if I could :/

EDIT: and oh yes, the binomial question on the maths SL was mean, I did take a guess and put down n=7 which I have been told is correct by two different maths teachers now... so here's hoping! The probability with the white balls question was sneaky, hope I got that right too, I need a 7 for maths!

The white balls question(that makes me laugh, god I'm immature) was funnily enough easy! I ended up getting the same answers as all my classmates so either we all got it right or we're just all very stupid. Paper 2 was horrible! But I saw it coming. With paper 1 as easy as it was, paper 2 was bound to be a piece of ****. The IB works that way :/ I really screwed up my IA so I need a pretty high score. *fingers crossed*

So is anyone here taking History HL? I'm nervous as hell for Friday!
so since over 24 hours have passed, whats ur thoughts on sl paper 2 maths? personally i thought it was pretty difficult compared to paper 1, but i think i still managed 80+ :smile: fingers crossed for an 85 haha
Reply 266
It was horrible. Some of the questions were quite straightforward. But the tough ones, damn, they were tough. Hopefully there will be low boundaries for this paper :smile:
hey guys, im looking for bio HL november 2011 paper with markschemes, or any business SL paper 2 with markschemes from 2009 til now, or both plz! if u want an exchange then i got chem sl/hl, bio sl/hl, math sl/hl, and physics sl/hl question banks version 3 that have everything until may 2011 i also have chem hl and math sl november 2011 papers with markschemes. plz pm if ur interested :smile:
Original post by ShaLa28
It was horrible. Some of the questions were quite straightforward. But the tough ones, damn, they were tough. Hopefully there will be low boundaries for this paper :smile:

sry to hear that.. im expecting a boundary close to 80 for paper 1.. but for paper 2 the boundaries might be lower, hopefully :smile:
wait do you mean 80% for a 7 or 80/90 because that will be pretty difficult to achieve i think :/
Original post by jumanstewman
wait do you mean 80% for a 7 or 80/90 because that will be pretty difficult to achieve i think :/

imeant 80/90.. cz although paper 1 ranges from 67-79 over the years, this was much easier than the exam that had 67 boundary, and not very difficult apart from q 7.. so im guessing it will approach 80, like a 75-78 maybe.. just a mere guess though.
ah ****, must of dropped down to a 6 then i reckon. probably lost 10 marks through stupid mistakes!
Reply 272
Original post by aeyurttaser13
imeant 80/90.. cz although paper 1 ranges from 67-79 over the years, this was much easier than the exam that had 67 boundary, and not very difficult apart from q 7.. so im guessing it will approach 80, like a 75-78 maybe.. just a mere guess though.

Yeah I think you're right. Paper 1 was seriously easy :/
ah ****, must of dropped down to a 6 then i reckon. probably lost 10 marks through stupid mistakes!

sry abt that.. but the paper 2 boundaries cud be much lower, so u might manage a low 7 :smile: on overall, boundaries for a 7 range from 79-80% til 86% over the past few years.. if ur IA was 6 or above u can still manage a 7 :smile:
Original post by aeyurttaser13
sry abt that.. but the paper 2 boundaries cud be much lower, so u might manage a low 7 :smile: on overall, boundaries for a 7 range from 79-80% til 86% over the past few years.. if ur IA was 6 or above u can still manage a 7 :smile:

yeah might just be able to scrape through, I didn't realise the grade boundaries were so high otherwise i would've done more practice lol
Original post by ShaLa28
Yeah I think you're right. Paper 1 was seriously easy :/

did u manage to do q 7?
q7 the answer was 7 i think, is that the examiners sense of humour showing through?
yeah might just be able to scrape through, I didn't realise the grade boundaries were so high otherwise i would've done more practice lol

yea exactly! our math teacher kept telling us its 72 and its 72 and it can go as low as 72 and blah blah blah :tongue: on day i realized he didnt mean 72%, but 72/90 haha.. still im expecting a 7.. gona be disappointed if it isn't
Reply 278
I'm hoping for a 7, paper 1 was fine but paper 2 had some horrible questions... Praying for a low boundary for paper 2, and I got 35/40 in my IA's so hopefully that'll help
Reply 279
Original post by ShaLa28
The white balls question(that makes me laugh, god I'm immature) was funnily enough easy! I ended up getting the same answers as all my classmates so either we all got it right or we're just all very stupid. Paper 2 was horrible! But I saw it coming. With paper 1 as easy as it was, paper 2 was bound to be a piece of ****. The IB works that way :/ I really screwed up my IA so I need a pretty high score. *fingers crossed*

So is anyone here taking History HL? I'm nervous as hell for Friday!

Yup i take History HL too :biggrin:

Quick Reply