The Student Room Group

Maths Studies 2012 TZ2 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Superwoman
yeah I remember that one, you had to use the vertex to calculate b and then use the points given to calculate c :biggrin:

Yeah, I realised that afterwards :banghead: ... It didn't help that we never got taught that in class! Ah well, it's only 6 marks, I was never aiming for a 7!
Reply 21
Original post by KetchupSandwich
Yeah, I realised that afterwards :banghead: ... It didn't help that we never got taught that in class! Ah well, it's only 6 marks, I was never aiming for a 7!

ahh don't worry i self taught myself the whole course :smile: on the derivatives question the gradient was 6/2 which I wrote down as 2 instead of 3, will hopefully get method marks for it but I wrote all my working out in pencil
Original post by KetchupSandwich
It was a -x^2 graph with intersects on (3,0) and (5,0) with a vertex of x coordinate 3. You had to find b and c (as in -x^2 + bx + c or something) and the range of the function. Couldn't do it! :frown:

yeah I remember that one, you had to use the vertex to calculate b and then use the points given to calculate c :biggrin:

Oooh, did anyone get 6 for b and -5 for c? Or something like that...Then the range values came out weird...like 14, 5, 0, 3...
Reply 23
Original post by beautiful-lion
Oooh, did anyone get 6 for b and -5 for c? Or something like that...Then the range values came out weird...like 14, 5, 0, 3...

yepp it was 6 and -5 :smile: and for the range I think it was -14 to 5 or -5 to 14 something like that :biggrin:

for paper 2 did you put down continuous or discrete for question 3?
Reply 24
continuous I think was the right answer. How was question 5 to every one, I solved it but I do not think I was right.
[INDENT]
yepp it was 6 and -5 :smile: and for the range I think it was -14 to 5 or -5 to 14 something like that :biggrin:

for paper 2 did you put down continuous or discrete for question 3?

Discrete. I nearly put continuous, because I saw time, but I realised it was actually discrete because it was referring to the people in the supermarket.

What did people get for the mean in that question? I think my GDC did it wrong :/

And q1 was so confusingly worded! And no graphs at all!
Reply 26
Original post by momentalus
continuous I think was the right answer. How was question 5 to every one, I solved it but I do not think I was right.

I put down continuous too, but I have no idea about it!
for question 5 i got two tins at the end, anyone else?

[INDENT]

Discrete. I nearly put continuous, because I saw time, but I realised it was actually discrete because it was referring to the people in the supermarket.

What did people get for the mean in that question? I think my GDC did it wrong :/

And q1 was so confusingly worded! And no graphs at all!

I was totally confused about continuous or discrete! didn't know which to put and just ended up with continuous

I think the mean was 21.5? I honestly can't remember

for q1 some of the probabilities were worded in a weird way yeah

I was totally confused about continuous or discrete! didn't know which to put and just ended up with continuous

Yeah, I added up the mean by hand and got 21.5, but my GDC told me 25, so I put that :/

I'm preeeetty sure it was discrete, as 'number of people' can't be continuous. It was only 1 mark though I think.

And yeah, I got 2 tins of paint (well, 7.8334... litres of paint, meaning 2 tins overall). I'm fairly sure that's correct. I thought q5 was very satisfying - when it's like "prove that V=this", you know you've got it right!

Question 1 knocked my confidence, because I find probability easy, but didn't really understand what it was asking. And when it said 'use your answer to part e) to find the probability of her catching a fish on 2 consecutive days', I used my working to part e) (I squared it) but not the actual answer :/

I thought the other questions were fine though - graphs can be hard, but there weren't any :biggrin:

Does anyone remember what they got for the 90th percentile question? Something like 38.5?

And the pyramid/financial question? (I thought that 'Cedric' was v cheeky to invest the money his mum loaned him for a car!)
Reply 28

Pretty sure it's discrete. While time would be continuous, it was the number of people which was measured - and that can be counted and thus is discrete. That was my reasoning anyway.

Also, it's usually been discrete on past papers. :P
Reply 29
Yeah, I added up the mean by hand and got 21.5, but my GDC told me 25, so I put that :/

I'm preeeetty sure it was discrete, as 'number of people' can't be continuous. It was only 1 mark though I think.

And yeah, I got 2 tins of paint (well, 7.8334... litres of paint, meaning 2 tins overall). I'm fairly sure that's correct. I thought q5 was very satisfying - when it's like "prove that V=this", you know you've got it right!

Question 1 knocked my confidence, because I find probability easy, but didn't really understand what it was asking. And when it said 'use your answer to part e) to find the probability of her catching a fish on 2 consecutive days', I used my working to part e) (I squared it) but not the actual answer :/

I thought the other questions were fine though - graphs can be hard, but there weren't any :biggrin:

Does anyone remember what they got for the 90th percentile question? Something like 38.5?

And the pyramid/financial question? (I thought that 'Cedric' was v cheeky to invest the money his mum loaned him for a car!)

I did it as if it was the time being measured not the people - oh well yea its one mark

and yeah got exactly the same for question 5, and I actually thought it was easy because of the prove thing so you're sure that it's right!

for the probability one I just multiplied my answer to e) by two which I know is probably wrong but I couldn't find anything else to do hahah

pyramid one was alright as well, but you had to know triangle theory and all that

and the finance one was alright as well :smile:

overall I think it was a pretty okay exam compared to what they had put previously

Original post by Saelie
Pretty sure it's discrete. While time would be continuous, it was the number of people which was measured - and that can be counted and thus is discrete. That was my reasoning anyway.

Also, it's usually been discrete on past papers. :P

hahaha I thought it was the time not people but yea you're probably right
I don't know how to feel about paper 2- it seemed pretty straightforward (apart from the insanely irritating probabilities) but it was so time consuming. I didn't have time to check and I now realise that I've got the very last question wrong (forgot it had to be the number of tins, so I put something ridiculous). I'm *hoping* it went well. I found it quite simple while I did it but I'm really good at making stupid mistakes :/ I loved the geometry one though, very satisfying :smile: Fingers crossed for a 6!
what do you guys think will be enough for a 6 this year ?

and what were the topics on paper 1 i want to see how i did against them
Reply 32
Original post by Ibstudent20
what do you guys think will be enough for a 6 this year ?

and what were the topics on paper 1 i want to see how i did against them

I think the grade boundaries will be a bit higher than usual because the exams were easier than usual

can't remember much of paper 1 but there was arithmetic and geometric sequences, probabilities, chi squared, about 3 function questions, calculus ..
Did anyone else find that last question on paper 2 horrible? I had to completely guess it :/
Reply 34
Original post by icnthelpit
Did anyone else find that last question on paper 2 horrible? I had to completely guess it :/

the one with 'show that' for everything? It was alright I guess, looking at past exams I think it could have been much worse
the one with 'show that' for everything? It was alright I guess, looking at past exams I think it could have been much worse

yeah, with the volume of a prism in algebra and showing that it equalled somehting else.
I disagree, I prefered some of the other past papers. It may just have been me blanking out, or over complicating it, but I found it horrible
also, the graph one (cumilative fruency) when you mark the points on the graph, do you mark them as the midpoint (at 5) or at the top (at 10)?

What did you get?

I thought it was ok if you 'got' the first parts, but I suppose it was hard if you didn't. I found q1 the hardest though, so I'm weird :biggrin:
yeah, with the volume of a prism in algebra and showing that it equalled somehting else.
I disagree, I prefered some of the other past papers. It may just have been me blanking out, or over complicating it, but I found it horrible
also, the graph one (cumilative fruency) when you mark the points on the graph, do you mark them as the midpoint (at 5) or at the top (at 10)?

at 10 because I think it said to mark them at 10
What did you get?

I thought it was ok if you 'got' the first parts, but I suppose it was hard if you didn't. I found q1 the hardest though, so I'm weird :biggrin:

I didn't ge the first parts at all, but i wrote out all the method etc, so I'm hoping I get a few method marks :smile:
Question one? was the the probability one? there was one part of it i wasn't too sure about, but other than that I thought it was ok :smile: I made sure I had covered that well because it seemed to pop up in every exam :s-smilie:
I sat 3 hours of maths exams at once, so maths overload! :L so glad those three days are over!
How did you find paper one?
I didn't ge the first parts at all, but i wrote out all the method etc, so I'm hoping I get a few method marks :smile:
Question one? was the the probability one? there was one part of it i wasn't too sure about, but other than that I thought it was ok :smile: I made sure I had covered that well because it seemed to pop up in every exam :s-smilie:
I sat 3 hours of maths exams at once, so maths overload! :L so glad those three days are over!
How did you find paper one?

I thought paper 1 was ok, apart from I was being stupid on a few questions (14 - the triangle one!). So I know I've lost 6 marks, but hopefully not much more than that. Still hoping for a 7! :biggrin:

Not sure what grade boundaries will be like though...

Quick Reply

Latest