The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8200
Has to be said that Pepe Reina's had a shocking season.
The first thing I would like to say is that I am absolutely gutted about the result. Just so utterly disappointed words can't really comprehend the level of it.

On the actual game though, a few things stood out.

Our midfield is non existent. In the first half Liverpool passed around the back four until Gerrard would drop deep to come do it all himself and if it wasn't him it was Johnson/Bellamy trying countless long balls up to Suarez who was so isolated it was almost criminal. All of it was just wrong. There was just no urgency, no nothing. Until it was too late that is.

It was naive and foolish of us to think we could really compete with anyone let alone the experience filled Chelsea squad with a Spearing and Henderson holding the most important part of the pitch. Chelsea were also poor but they still overran us, such was how absolutely terrible we were up until Carroll came on. (Who'd have thought we'd be saying such things eh?)

Downing. The less said the better.

I am finding Enriques sudden dip from a monster to a liabiliy to be frightening. He was just shocking. Shocking. Shocking. Everytime he got the ball he'd either make a defensive mistake or slow down the attack ten fold. JUST PASS THE BALL ENRIQUE, PASS THE ****ING BALL! TO ANYONE! TO DALGLISH!

Carroll's substitution changed the game. He was up for it, his finish was fantastic and full of confidence. Something he would have completely fluffed a few months ago. He was winning everything in the air and he very nearly became a hero (ghost goal). It's a positive sign. More of the same please Andy. Meanwhile Fernando Torres didn't play one minute :biggrin: Sorry had to.

All in all, I was heartened at the spirit shown in the second half but it came way too late. I was disgusted by the first half performance and couldn't believe what I was seeing. We deserved to lose even if we had the best 30 minutes of the game, it's not acceptable to just not turn up for an entire hour of a f*cking up final.That has to be one of our worst performances of the season and we saved it for our biggest game of the season. Cheers lads.

Also, Reina. Poor. The game came down to Reina fumbling a timid shot and Cech pulling a monstrous save to keep Chelsea in the game. Fuming. People will be talking about how Reina should look for better options in the summer when the fact is he's been terrible for a while now. Every shot on target is a goal for our opponents. A good goalkeeper keeps you in games and wins you points but lately Reina has cost us.

I wonder what will happen with Kenny :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
A mate mentioned to me that we're bringing back our old goalkeeping coach. Maybe that would help Reina?
Reply 8203
Original post by Zerforax
A mate mentioned to me that we're bringing back our old goalkeeping coach. Maybe that would help Reina?

Can't help but think so. Surely being coached by somebody who used to work at Tranmere isn't good enough for a top level keeper like him.
Agree with most people's thoughts.

Chelsea were average and still beat us - they were just clinical and we had no structure in the midfield.

What the hell was that formation supposed to be first half, looked like no-one had a position.

As many people have said in the past, Spearing is well out of his depth - again he is young though, I'm not sure if he'll turn into a decent players or not.

Don't what has happened to Enrique, he was awful today after a great start to the season.

Bellamy very average.
Henderson needs to be nurtured into a good player.
Carroll - As I have said before, he's only young and will come good.(people were talking about getting rid recently)
Reply 8205
Original post by milan5baros
Agree with most people's thoughts.

Chelsea were average and still beat us - they were just clinical and we had no structure in the midfield.

What the hell was that formation supposed to be first half, looked like no-one had a position.

As many people have said in the past, Spearing is well out of his depth - again he is young though, I'm not sure if he'll turn into a decent players or not.

Don't what has happened to Enrique, he was awful today after a great start to the season.

Bellamy very average.
Henderson needs to be nurtured into a good player.
Carroll - As I have said before, he's only young and will come good.(people were talking about getting rid recently)

Spearing is 23, he hasn't been a young player for a while now, just a terrible one.

I don't even think it's about that. I just think everything he does is half assed these days. It's not even like we allow many shots on goal. It's not like he has a lot to do most games but when he is called upon it's like he decides it's in before it even reaches him and than sticks out a limp arm or leg to get something on it and then proceeds to shout at the back four when truthfully they've been the best thing about this season. Enrique's sudden dip in form apart.
Shame about the result. Was really cheering Liverpool on. Hate the plastic Chelsea, and their plastic flags and their terrible unimaginative songs/chants. Their song after they had won sounded like a bloody nursery rhyme ffs!

It was clear with half hour gone that Carroll had to come on asap. Kuyt was always going to come on lateish. But my god wasn't Carroll good and up for it. Fantastic. Sadly one of the few to really try. Enrique was awful. Kept on messing attacks up and defensively was very poor. Skrtel unlucky with the second goal but i thought both him and Agger looked very solid apart from that. Johnson was good at RB too. Spearing though is woeful. You just wonder if Lucas wasn't out that Liverpool would have won that seeing as both goals came from Spearing losing possession. Henderson was good at patches but terrible mostly. Gerrard was fairly anonymous sadly. Suarez anonymous too, same with Bellamy. And Downing was mostly awful. Yet i thought Enrique ****s it up so much for him overlapping him constantly. And Reina was terrible. He looks nervous and confidence is very low.

But yeh Andy Carroll fantastic. The only one who really tried was Carroll. He played 110% and you can tell he wants it now. Really thought he was hitting back to Newcastle style form when he came on. I remember watching him earlier in the season and i thought there was a lack of hope for him. He just looked so bad i thought it had gone. But he's back and he should be here next season. Should Kenny? I wondered from the way the press conference went that he looked like a man who realises his time might be up at the club.

Shame again about losing to such a horrible and plastic team but RDM needs to be applauded as he has done a fantastic job since he has taken over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
Spearing is 23, he hasn't been a young player for a while now, just a terrible one.

Tbh at least he tries, he seems to always seems to put in effort which is more than can be said about some. We just have expectations higher than what he is, not his fault and he is not ****, just not to Liverpool standards.
Would fit in at Stoke or around there Downing can go there too.
If there can be one positive in all of this, it is that there is no chance of the cup runs ''painting over the cracks''. If anything the FA cup final highlighted the cracks for all to see in brutal fashion.
Reply 8210
Wait for the documentary to appear :facepalm2:
Original post by lifeshard
If there can be one positive in all of this, it is that there is no chance of the cup runs ''painting over the cracks''. If anything the FA cup final highlighted the cracks for all to see in brutal fashion.

Yeah pretty much, I was trying to express that a few months back. At least we know the new owners will shift dead weight, let's hope they are sensitive with the issue and probably just bring back Rafa with Kenny moved up. I don't see a better option.
Tbh I'm happy for Spearing to be 3rd choice DM if he's not on high wages. No one else will want him tbh.

Really looks like most of our troubles stem from midfield - we don't get up the pitch to support or play the right passes, nor do we really cover our defence well.
Original post by Pn94
Tbh, you sound as if you don't give a **** we lost.

I don't know how you can dismiss that match so quickly.

Well, you still had a poor season none the less, this FA cup would do **** all. Not like you were top 4 or where your owners and supporters expected you to be this season? Same way I'm not happy that chelsea won the FA cup because we're still not guaranteed CL football.
You guys were poor today, turned up for 20 mins. Chelsea deserved the win, we scored twice and dominated you until the carroll goal, which was quality but also because of poor defending by ivanovic and bosingwa. Said it would be 2-1 or 1-0 though. We then did the matteo/mourinho tactic of bus parking and wasting time till the end of the match.

But I've guessed from the liverpool forum, the phrases, take your chances and possession means **** all, goals do.
It was the easiest match that chelsea have ever played until the carroll goal, I'm not even trying to take the piss.
Original post by So Instinct
Yeah pretty much, I was trying to express that a few months back. At least we know the new owners will shift dead weight, let's hope they are sensitive with the issue and probably just bring back Rafa with Kenny moved up. I don't see a better option.

I don't think Kenny will be moved on. For the life of me I just can't see it happening. Even if he was, I don't think Rafa would be appointed. I think the owners would be apprehensive about going for the ''past manager, fans choice'' route. Look how that turned out the first time.

On the other point I just think we need to sign actual quality. Not as much about shifting deadwieght as I feel most of that was done last season. A few who who want to go i.e. Kuyt/Maxi will be shifted which I wouldn't really describe as deadwood and would rather keep but it's inevitable they will be off. But I think selling the Adams/Downing/Spearings of the team would do nothing but make our squad smaller and make it more difficult to compete on all fronts next season. We should never have a time where Spearing is given a lengthly run in the team like he has been but he should be on the peripherals of the squad doing a job for us because he seems happy to do so and is decent. Squad players is what all of them should have always been and we're paying for it.

Problem is, how will we sign actual quality with this horrendous season to attract them with? 100m spent and we've won the least desirable of all the cups and will potentially finish behind Newcastle, Fulham and Everton. Maybe even Swansea (a newly promoted team) Put it like that in the cold light of day and you wonder about where we're headed... The only thing we have left is our name and if we don't push on that's slowly going to wither away too.

I'm afraid for the club that I love and I just pray this summer goes well and it's not all as scary as I feel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8216
Doesn't matter anymore but it looks like we were hard done...

Original post by kuks
Doesn't matter anymore but it looks like we were hard done...

I can't really trust thatas it's showing two pictures and the camera's not on the line, It doesn't show the whole ball crossing the line. So it's not crossed the line. If in doubt leave it anyway.
Tbh I'm happy for Spearing to be 3rd choice DM if he's not on high wages. No one else will want him tbh.

Really looks like most of our troubles stem from midfield - we don't get up the pitch to support or play the right passes, nor do we really cover our defence well.

You don't think a Stoke/QPR would take him?
Reply 8219
I think we should possibly loan out spearing. If he doesn't improve then, sell him. I know we did it before but I guess he just needs more experience. But this depends on who our manager is next season.

Latest