The Student Room Group

The Field Hockey Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I love it when it there's a fresh coat of rain on the water-base, makes slide tackling so much easier to do
Original post by Al_Funcoot
I love it when it there's a fresh coat of rain on the water-base, makes slide tackling so much easier to do

I always find it amazing to watch football style slide tackles (obviously not with foot of course) in hockey. If pulled off they are simply spectacular. Get it wrong and you look like a massive bell-end of course.
Reply 262
Original post by SirMasterKey
I always find it amazing to watch football style slide tackles (obviously not with foot of course) in hockey. If pulled off they are simply spectacular. Get it wrong and you look like a massive bell-end of course.

Pulled off a few in a summer league game last night, won the ball in most of them. Oppo striker was getting very wound up because the slickness of the pitch meant I kept sliding after winning the ball and ramming into it him, but cuz I got the ball first the umpires weren't giving him a foul.

I won't be getting into the habit of it though as I'll most likely be sent off in winter league and if you have to resort to a slide tackle you've slipped horribly out of position somewhere along the line.
Live Test events now on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/hockey/17923652 If you want to watch live GB-Germany (men) at the Olympic test event

Coverage details -

Men - GB v Germany: Wednesday 2 May, 1830 BST

Women - GB v China: Thursday 3 May, 1315 BST

Men - GB v India: Thursday 3 May, 1830 BST

Women - GB v Argentina: Saturday 5 May, 1145 BST

Men - GB v Australia: Saturday 5 May, 1700 BST

Women's final: Sunday 6 May, 1215 BST

Men's final: Sunday 6 May, 1830 BST
Oh dear, I didn't get to see much of the game as the stream kept stalling for me but highlights here.

Controversial Germany goal, I'd say even more so, not because of the fact GB weren't all out onto the pitch but because on 11-12 seconds into the video, I feel it hit the German's foot.
Reply 265
Massive respects to both the men's and women's GB in their prelims, well impressed, and I hope I can get up to that standard of umpiring since my failure at JRPC!
It was my hockey club ball last night, definitely a good night :biggrin: (not sure how many of the rest of the attendees can remember it though....)

I'm vice-captain for my team for next year so already looking forward to next season as our leagues have finished! It'll be good to watch the olympic hockey to keep me going in the summer i guess, I don't think there are any summer leagues near me.
Reply 267
Original post by TheRabbit
It was my hockey club ball last night, definitely a good night :biggrin: (not sure how many of the rest of the attendees can remember it though....)

I'm vice-captain for my team for next year so already looking forward to next season as our leagues have finished! It'll be good to watch the olympic hockey to keep me going in the summer i guess, I don't think there are any summer leagues near me.

I've got my end of season university dinner on the 18th, wasn't really planning on going due to higher prices for worse service but the committee have not-so-subtely hinted I'll be receiving an award of some sort so I might as well be there to pick it up!
Reply 268
Only just noticed this thread now :smile:. Anyway, I love field hockey! I've been playing since I was about 12. Just finished my first season with the Uni hockey club which was epic.
Original post by Al_Funcoot
I've got my end of season university dinner on the 18th, wasn't really planning on going due to higher prices for worse service but the committee have not-so-subtely hinted I'll be receiving an award of some sort so I might as well be there to pick it up!

Haha, most of our awards are a bit embarassing and it would be a case of not going because you are going to get an award!

Ours was pretty good, though it was £35 which I think is more than what the Medsoc charge for what is a posher ball but included free champagne, wine at the table etc. as well as a decent meal.
Haha, most of our awards are a bit embarassing and it would be a case of not going because you are going to get an award!

Ours was pretty good, though it was £35 which I think is more than what the Medsoc charge for what is a posher ball but included free champagne, wine at the table etc. as well as a decent meal.

We get all that as well for same price. Might actually drink my champagne or at least chose who to give it to. Plenty of arses at my club so someone I like can have my champers if I don't want it. My one disappointment is the fact that our meal choices were just deceased from some decent choices to two in each catergory. I think only the pudding I wanted might have survived. Have to just make do with the starter and main choice. I wanted Salmon not chicken breast!

Although it is a better choice than last year as there are two starter options rather than just Goat's cheese.
Reply 271
Huh, never spotted this before. Anybody watch the finals and stuff over the weekend?
Original post by Slumpy
Huh, never spotted this before. Anybody watch the finals and stuff over the weekend?

Watched some of the GB Men's games but not the finals as was otherwise occupied. Didn't see any of the women.
Reply 273

I wish we got that much, our 34 squid only nets us the dinner and coach travel up there. And the pints are 3.50 each of crappy Foster's and Strongbow.

Basically, Bath Racecourse can go blow me.
Reply 275
Original post by Slumpy
Me too!

Which day/sessions are you going to?
Reply 277
Original post by SirMasterKey
Which day/sessions are you going to?

4th August one, howsabout you?
Original post by Slumpy
4th August one, howsabout you?

1st August, going to the morning and afternoon sessions. A bit sad I don't get to see Argentina or Germany but some of my games look :coma:
Reply 279
Got tickets to go and see GB men vs the Aussies, best day ever! Also my Olympic tickets for the 4th August evening session arrive today :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest