The Student Room Group

Will medical schools accept me if I retake a YEAR?

Well basically because of certain family issues and things that have happened this year, along with me just in general not being prepared for the huge amount of work that that my 5 AS subjects require to be done, I didn't do as well as I had hoped, in my January modules (I got 3 Bs and 2 Cs) and as you can see, my results were extemely dissapointing. I have put my head down and I am now working very hard to achieve the As and 90%+ that I want in all subjects.

However, if for any reason I don't get the grades I want and end up with Cs, my sixth form actually provide the option to retake the whole AS year, as in starting a fresh in September at AS level doing the same subjects, with the year below me.

I have actually been considering this and I was wondering if the unis would know/accept me if I retook a year? I would still be 18 when I apply for Medicine September 2013,would they know/penalise me for this? Please help this has really been buggin me because I want to do whatever it takes to get into Medicine.

Thanks a lot! x
Reply 1
Ring them up when you send off your application?
Why would they penalise you? It's not illegal or wrong and it shows you want to work hard and achieve the highest grades.
Reply 3
I can't see why they wouldn't
Reply 4
Only certain universities will accept you for medicine given those circumstances.
About 5 of them maybe?
I have looked into which ones do before I changed my mind on medicine.
Most require you have completed your A level studies within the two year time frame :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Alotties
Only certain universities will accept you for medicine given those circumstances.
About 5 of them maybe?
I have looked into which ones do before I changed my mind on medicine.
Most require you have completed your A level studies within the two year time frame :smile:

Thanks. But would they actually know that I completed it within three years? I would still be 18 when I apply, and would they have any way of knowing that I actually should be in the year above?
Reply 6
Original post by Occasionally
Thanks. But would they actually know that I completed it within three years? I would still be 18 when I apply, and would they have any way of knowing that I actually should be in the year above?

Yes, because I'm pretty sure you will have to tell them or else you are lying about sections of your education. This lying can cause them to withdraw any places you may have been offered as the majority of Medical schools specifically ask for the work to be completed within two years.
Reply 7

They'd know.

You're obliged to state the timeframe you spent at your school/college.

Three year A-Levels cripple your application, I'm afraid. Short of your coming out with straight A*s, you'll be considered a worse prospect for most universities- at best, you'll have to meet slightly higher offers. At worst, you won't get an offer at all.

Because your initial results would still be with your examining bodies. They have ways of finding out, that's how they get your actual results on A2 result day to confirm/deny your offer.

Instead, do some research and find which Universities will accept retake students.
Reply 9
Original post by Alotties
Yes, because I'm pretty sure you will have to tell them or else you are lying about sections of your education. This lying can cause them to withdraw any places you may have been offered as the majority of Medical schools specifically ask for the work to be completed within two years.

Yes , I kind of see where you're coming from but I wouldn't exactly be lying, per se, just not full on telling them that I was a failure the first time round and had to retake a whole year...
Reply 10
Unfortunately it would go against you massively. Most medical schools want A levels to be completed in two years and would out right reject someone who has resat their AS levels. Remember how competitive medicine is to get into and universities have no shortage of applicants who successfully achieve good AS grades first time round.They will find out because the schools must inform them and your exam dates would indicate so. Resitting your whole AS level year is only accepted by certain universities provided you have extenuating circumstances. If you fail to get good AS grades, I would recommend you resit your AS modules during your A2 year, Take a gap year and then apply with grades in hand. This is obviously a really tough route but at least you wont be penalised.
Reply 11
Original post by AirRaven
They'd know.

You're obliged to state the timeframe you spent at your school/college.

Three year A-Levels cripple your application, I'm afraid. Short of your coming out with straight A*s, you'll be considered a worse prospect for most universities- at best, you'll have to meet slightly higher offers. At worst, you won't get an offer at all.

ARGH! You actuall have to let them know how long you spent in college? Wow.
Wouldn't it be far easier if you retook your January modules over the next year whilst completing your A Levels?
Reply 13
ARGH! You actuall have to let them know how long you spent in college? Wow.

Retake the modules in question during the period of your course that remains, take a gap year, and apply with your complete transcript.

It's the only thing you really can do, in your situation. It's not a lost cause, but you'll have to seriously work at it.

I'd suggest giving serious thought as to whether medicine's really for you- a gap year's a long, long time.
Reply 14
Retake the modules in question during the period of your course that remains, take a gap year, and apply with your complete transcript.

It's the only thing you really can do, in your situation. It's not a lost cause, but you'll have to seriously work at it.

I'd suggest giving serious thought as to whether medicine's really for you- a gap year's a long, long time.

Hmm, thanks for helping - I guess I'll try my hardest to do well in my upcoming exams and I am actually considering a gap year now, although I didn't initally think I wanted to. In what way do you mean a gap year is a long time, I feel that it's just a year and you could get quite a lot done..
Reply 15
Hmm, thanks for helping - I guess I'll try my hardest to do well in my upcoming exams and I am actually considering a gap year now, although I didn't initally think I wanted to. In what way do you mean a gap year is a long time, I feel that it's just a year and you could get quite a lot done..

For what it's worth, dragging your grades up through resits isn't all that impossible.

Just ask yourself what you actually care about more- your day-to-day social life as a teenager, or getting to medical school and having a life?
Reply 16
For what it's worth, dragging your grades up through resits isn't all that impossible.

Just ask yourself what you actually care about more- your day-to-day social life as a teenager, or getting to medical school and having a life?

No, I know, I am extremely committed to this - I don't even take my lunch hour now I'm just a social recluse holed up in the library! Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest