The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is St Andrews really much more prestigious than KCL?

I'm having trouble choosing between the two for Philosophy.
Although I'd prefer to live in London and feel as though the people would be more similar to me at King's, I essentially want to go to the place which is going to get me the best education (not that either is objectively better than the other, it's just the general impression I seem to get).

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
You're saying that like King's is significantly worse than St Andrews.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by electric-wars
Although I'd prefer to live in London and feel as though the people would be more similar to me at King's, I essentially want to go to the place which is going to get me the best education.

If you want to go to KCL go to KCL! If you want to live in a city atmosphere then St Andrews may not be right for you, it's much much smaller and you may find it claustrophobic.

I personally chose St Andrews because I really liked the place and course quality (languages).
Original post by Sarabande
You're saying that like King's is significantly worse than St Andrews.

I personally think that they're on the same level, but the general impression I get from people is that I would be crazy to turn down a St Andrews offer for KCL.
Original post by languagelover
If you want to go to KCL go to KCL! If you want to live in a city atmosphere then St Andrews may not be right for you, it's much much smaller and you may find it claustrophobic.

I personally chose St Andrews because I really liked the place and course quality (languages).

The thing is, I see that there are plus points to living in St Andrews. The fact that it's on the the coast, the tight knit community feel. It really does seem like a lovely place.

I just worry about, like you say, it being extremely claustrophobic, there not being much to do and the heavy population of 'rahs'. I'm just not sure if it's my thing but I also can't seem to turn them down because it's such a great place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by electric-wars
Although I'd prefer to live in London and feel as though the people would be more similar to me at King's, I essentially want to go to the place which is going to get me the best education (not that either is objectively better than the other, it's just the general impression I seem to get).

Go to wherever you feel most at home. Theres no point spending 3/4 years of your life in a place that you hate! My brother got an unconditional offer to St. Andrews and Edinburgh but turned them down for the less prestigous Glasgow University because it seemed so much nicer at the open day.

A degrees a degree. I would say that the class of your degree is a hell of alot more important than where you got it from. So personally I would say go to KCL if thats where looks good to you :smile:
Reply 6
Go where you feel happiest!
Reply 7
St Andrews > KCL
It's difficult to choose when you're torn between an option that people will say is better in general i.e. St Andrew's and an option which you, for personal reasons are leaning towards.

It's natural to want to go to the 'best' university as this is something which has probably motivated you to work hard for your grades and has been drilled into you since you were a child:

"You must do your homework to get good grades to get into a good university to get a good education to get a good job and as a result a good life"

Familiar anyone?

I would ask myself two questions if I were you:

1. Is there a significant difference in the quality of education or future employment prospects between the two universities?

and

2. If there was no such thing as league tables and prestige, which university would you choose?

If the answer to the question 1 is yes, then I would personally go to that one. University for me is about being educated and wherever you go, you will surely make the best of it and have a lot of friends and a blast either way.

If however, you can't say that there is a difference between the two then go for the answer to question 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending