The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by undergradstudent
What do you mean by variety? There are lots of international students from a huge variety of countries, lots of British students who have lived abroad/have family abroad/travelled a lot so have had a range of experiences, and British students from all over the UK. There are over 100 societies so people are definitely into a huge variety of things :smile:

Also I don't think the difference in middle-class intake is very different between Nottingham and Durham, it's not like you're comparing Durham to one of the new universities in London which has large numbers of working-class and Muslim students.

Hi thanks so much for your reply :smile: Yeap, I definitely don't doubt that interest-wise and activities-wise, people are into a whole load of things. I was asking more about the ethnicity of people. I understand it would definitely be a lot less international than say London schools, or big cities like Manchester. Just wanna know if there's still a solid group of ethnic people around (pakistanis, indians, arabs, etc. these are just the ones off the top of my head!!) :smile: Thanks again!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by nandisuria
Hi thanks so much for your reply :smile: Yeap, I definitely don't doubt that interest-wise and activities-wise, people are into a whole load of things. I was asking more about the ethnicity of people. I understand it would definitely be a lot less international than say London schools, or big cities like Manchester. Just wanna know if there's still a solid group of ethnic people around (pakistanis, indians, arabs, etc. these are just the ones off the top of my head!!) :smile: Thanks again!

Oh right. Well there are lots of international students from Pakistan, India, etc.
There are some home students too from those ethnic minorities - not loads - but all the ones I know are British born/British in culture and therefore behave the same way as white British people so apart from having darker skin, they're just the same :smile:. I'm sure there are some British Pakistani and British Indian students who are more multicultural and are Muslim/Hindu/etc but all the ethnic minority British students who I know have the same culture as the white British students.

So basically - lots of international students from different countries; if you're asking whether there is physical (skin colour) diversity in British students then yes but the majority are white, if you're asking whether there is cultural/religious/etc diversity amongst the British students then yes (there's an Islamic society etc) but much less so than the physical image of British students would suggest. However it's not like there's any chance of anyone being the only non-white student!

Which subject are you doing? There are a lot, lot more international students from Pakistan, India, China etc doing business, accounting and economics degrees than doing History or English Lit degrees.

I hope that makes sense - I'm not too sure on the ethnicity/race difference in definitions so not sure if you're asking what people look like or what their culture is.
Reply 142
College: prolly stephenson (or maybe mezzino)
Subject: Accounting and finance
Offer (conditional/unconditional): AB
Why Durham?: good reputation
Other:

seems like im the only one applying for accounting and finance in this thread?
Name: ;Laura
College: Van Mildert
Subject:German and ab initio Russian
Offer (conditional/unconditional): AAB
Why Durham?: Really liked the course, and like the college system. :smile:
Other:
Reply 144
Name: Jack
College: St Aidan's.
Subject: Natural Sciences (Maths/Physics/Geography)
Offer (conditional/unconditional): A*AA
Why Durham?: To be really cheesy, it just felt like home when I went for the first time, despite the freezing weather! The course suits me down to the ground and the applicant days were incredible, it really feels like they have gone the extra mile and I like their efforts. :smile:
Reply 145
Name: Daniel
College: Josephine Butler
Subject: Philosophy
Offer: Conditional AAA
Why Durham?: It seems like a really nice location, college system is good, the course modules for philosophy are very interesting.
Reply 146
I like ethics, particularly meta-ethics, and the philosophy of religion. Yourself? :smile:
Reply 147
Well I'm more familiar with the modern philosophers you mentioned, specifically Kant and Locke. Although if you're recommending Singer, Unger and McMahan then I'll look them up. Have you read any Simon Blackburn? His introduction to ethics is what got me into that branch of philosophy.
Reply 148
College: University
Subject: Computer Science
Offer: Conditional AAB
Why Durham?: I loved the city and general atmosphere and the collegiate system. Also, I wanna live in a Castle! :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Congratulations! I have also firmed Hatfield and I just really hope I make my points because Durham seems so amazing! What university have you guys put down as your insurance?
Reply 150
Name: Chris
College: St. Chad's
Subject: MSc Defence, Development, and Diplomacy
Offer: Unconditional
Why Durham?: A bunch of things, but 1) I liked the look of it from my first time on the website, 2) the MSc looks great, and 3) collegiate life seems similar to my Greek life experience during undergrad. Couldn't refuse, really.
Original post by IBstudent123
Congratulations! I have also firmed Hatfield and I just really hope I make my points because Durham seems so amazing! What university have you guys put down as your insurance?

Hi :smile: fellow hatfielder here :smile: what are you hoping to study? And I've got birmingham down for my insurance choice :biggrin:
Reply 152
No actually! I graduated from CNU last year.
Just firmed Durham :biggrin:

Any other Grey physicists?
College: Van Mildert
Subject: Physics
Offer: A*AA but basically already got the A*, the AA shouldn't be too hard to meet (touchwood)

Why Durham?: It was between there and Manchester, but I'm from Manchester and wanted to get away. Also, the college system and general "homeliness" was a big factor, seems like it'll be really easy to meet friends. The course is really good too of course, and I like the idea of being able to walk to lectures. I know quite a few people there, and they all love it. My fears about the nightlife were quelled as bigger party people than me say they still have an ace time!
Reply 155
You cracked the code!

Why did you ask about UVA, out of curiosity?
Reply 156
Academically, yeah. Although William and Mary is very close too. Then there's VCU and VT...we have a few :smile:
Reply 157
Original post by CNUkid
Academically, yeah. Although William and Mary is very close too. Then there's VCU and VT...we have a few :smile:

Virginia is gorgeous!! My mom went to Liberty, which I hear is pretty well regarded in religious circles.. :colondollar: you would never know now that she went to private, christian schools all her life. :tongue:
Original post by undergradstudent
Oh right. Well there are lots of international students from Pakistan, India, etc.
There are some home students too from those ethnic minorities - not loads - but all the ones I know are British born/British in culture and therefore behave the same way as white British people so apart from having darker skin, they're just the same :smile:. I'm sure there are some British Pakistani and British Indian students who are more multicultural and are Muslim/Hindu/etc but all the ethnic minority British students who I know have the same culture as the white British students.

So basically - lots of international students from different countries; if you're asking whether there is physical (skin colour) diversity in British students then yes but the majority are white, if you're asking whether there is cultural/religious/etc diversity amongst the British students then yes (there's an Islamic society etc) but much less so than the physical image of British students would suggest. However it's not like there's any chance of anyone being the only non-white student!

Which subject are you doing? There are a lot, lot more international students from Pakistan, India, China etc doing business, accounting and economics degrees than doing History or English Lit degrees.

I hope that makes sense - I'm not too sure on the ethnicity/race difference in definitions so not sure if you're asking what people look like or what their culture is.

Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I kind of get an idea what it woould be like!! And I'm pretty convinced there is some diversity. I guess it also differs with every year and all that so mine was a pretty hard question. You were really helpful though thanks.

On a whole other note, would you happen to know if the uni has a legal advice centre? I know Manchester and Queen Mary has one, and my sister (who's in manchester) tells me its really useful. From what I can tell from my research, Durham doesn't have one, but do you know if there are any plans to set one up? OH YES, I plan to do law, and I just realised you may not be a law student.

Anyone else who can help? Thanks :smile:
Original post by nandisuria
Thank you so much for your reply :smile: I kind of get an idea what it woould be like!! And I'm pretty convinced there is some diversity. I guess it also differs with every year and all that so mine was a pretty hard question. You were really helpful though thanks.

On a whole other note, would you happen to know if the uni has a legal advice centre? I know Manchester and Queen Mary has one, and my sister (who's in manchester) tells me its really useful. From what I can tell from my research, Durham doesn't have one, but do you know if there are any plans to set one up? OH YES, I plan to do law, and I just realised you may not be a law student.

Anyone else who can help? Thanks :smile:

What do you mean by a legal advice centre? There's a big law society and they do pro bono projects (there's one where they look into cases for people who've been in prison for a really long time and still say they are innocent).

If you google 'durham law society' you should find their website and if it's not clear definitely email the president or another relevant committee member, I'm sure the details will be on their website. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest