The Student Room Group

How dysfunctional are your family?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hmm my family is so huge that i wonder how it all functions. A pretty normal family of 6, my parents are still together, they get into the occassional marriage fight but they strive to provide the best for my siblings and i. My family is HUGE. My dad has 6 siblings and my mum has 5. Each of my dad's siblings probably has about 4 kids each so i have A LOT of first cousins. Asian families are usually quite close so i know of all my dad's first and second cousins and their kids. Inevitably with such a big family you get a lot of drama, literally there is always some sort of gossip to be heard in my family, i'm not a fan of it so i can't wait to get to uni to get away from it all. However, i wouldn't trade my family for the world and i kind of like having a really big family and we all get along pretty well.
Reply 21
Pretty 'functional' here. The only issue is that we cannot talk about serious subjects long enough to actually deal with the problem properly. Problem solving in my family basically exclusively involves shouting at it.
My family is ideal really. I used to argue with my parents and sisters in my early teens but everyone does that. The most important thing is that my parents never argue, I have never heard either of them raise their voice to the other one. They are very similar in their views so they hardly ever disagree about things. When they do disagree my Dad usually goes along with what ever my Mum says so nothing escalates into a big issue. For example, if my Mum said 'you dont do enough house work' he would do the hovering for a couple of days until she forgot about it. With bigger issues my Mum is so indecisive that unless something is clearly against her views she doesnt know what she wants to happen so my Dad decides and she goes along with it.

I sometimes feel like my we are a bit unfair on my Mum. She works the same amount as my Dad yet does everything around the house, all the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing etc. Strangely though I think she likes doing it because she rarely asks us to help out and we are always happy to when she does. She is a real busybody and never watches tv or lazes around for a day. She broke her leg and had to have a couple of months off work, for the first few weeks she couldn't move off the sofa and even though she had a lot of people visiting her every day, after a couple of days she was really unhappy about not being able to do work. Even though we did everything that needed to be done around the house.

Although the family is really stable, we are not close at all. I could not speak to them for a year and I wouldn't mind and I don't think they would either, although I am sure my mum would lie if asked. We don't talk to each other about our problems, my parents probably do to each other but thats it. We all sit in our rooms and don't speak and when we do its just 'its a nice day today' etc never anything deep.

My Mum fell out with her parents quite badly about money. They speak again now but both feel like the other is in the wrong and don't talk about the issue. Its bit sad because I know my Mum is hurt by what happened but the issue will never be resolved and will probably not be spoken about again.
Reply 23
Well since everyone is getting this stuff off their chests I might as well.

Family: Mum, Dad, Me (18), Brothers (21,19,16,14 and 8)

Long story short, my Dad is disabled and suffers from cerebral palsy. My parents were been married for 22 years. They were always arguing, fighting and this caused a rift between us all. The 21 year old is my adoptive brother, the 16 and 19 year old are also adoptive brothers (1st cousins). I grew up in a really poor family, plus being Asian and the whole community thing annoyed us all.

I lost my two adoptive brothers last year (16 and 19) to gangs. The 19 year old was stabbed to death in front of me in a fight. The 16 year old overdosed. I lost the 21 year old on the 2nd of April (my b-day) he got into a fight then we argued about him doing this ****. I told him to 'go die and f*** off.' I can never forget that, he killed himself.

My mum was fed up after all of this, she just up and left. Took all the savings and things we had made over the years. I am 18 and in college. I had offers from Ucl, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle. My mum left 3 days ago. I am left to raise my two little brothers and look after my Dad who has just been fired because he was in hospital with stomach cancer. I got into a fight in Birmingham and got stabbed in the chest and arm about a week ago. I came out of hospital just a little while ago.

Yep, I would say we are all stark raving mad. Sorry had to vent.

P.S. To all those who think this is made up, I don't care I just need to vent!
My family is me, mum, dad, two older sisters (Maggie, 27 and Bess, 21), two older brothers (Will, 25 and Kit, 18) and my twin brother (Alex, 16). My grandparents (mum's parents) also live here, in an annex to the house, but they pretty much live their own lives as they have their own entrance etc.

Only Kit, Alex and I live at home right now, but older brother will be off to university in the autumn, so then it will just be me and my twin.

On the face of it, we're a functional family, but like any family we have our issues.

My biggest issue is my relationship with my mum. She's a surgeon working very long hours, and as a result, I spent my early years more or less being raised by a nanny. When my sisters my younger, my mum wasn't in such a senior role as she is now, so they saw more of her then I did when they were really young. However, when I was 18-months old, she was promoted to a senior role and worked even more hours then she did before. We already had a nanny then, it was nothing new, but she took a more "hands on" role for me, Alex and Kit when we still very young.

My Dad is a barrister, so works long hours too, although not as long as what my mum works. My dad was there for us more than my mum was.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that my mum did not take me, Alex and Kit to school on one single occasion, nor did she ever pick us up. This included our first day at school. Dad did take us and/or collect us on a few occasions, not a huge number of times, but enough for us to remember.

I'd say about 80% of the time, Mum wasn't even home before we went to bed. I have few memories of her reading me bedtime stories, most of the time it was the nanny or Dad.

As us younger ones got older, there wasn't the need for the nanny any more, so then we were left to fend for ourselves.

Anyway, the end result of all this is, I have a difficult relationship with my mum. We clash a lot. She doesn't really know me and she certainly doesn't "get" me. My sisters get on better with her, because she was around more during those crucial younger years, and to me that shows the importance of spending time with your children during their first years.

Do I sound bitter? Well it's probably because I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my mum should have given up her career to stay-at-home, but I just wish she could have job-shared or took on reduced hours for a while (something she admitted she was offered for a fixed-term period, so she could be at home more during our younger years). She missed out on so much, something that to her credit, she does acknowledge.

Her defence is, that she wanted to show us children, that women can have a place outside the home. Fair enough. However, I always say to her, that working outside the home doesn't have to mean hardly ever being there for your children.

So yes, I'm bitter, and to be honest I'm not sure I'll ever have a close relationship with my mum. There is resentment there that I cannot shake right now. I'm much closer to my dad, because he was there more, and as a result I'm more like him. We both share a love of classic rock, rugby and X-Men comic books.
Original post by Dragonfly07
does it matter

I'm curious . . . :dong:
My Dog's a prostitute.
My dad had bi polar and a major drink problem which kicked off after he was fired back in 93, all I remember of my dad when he lived with us was him sitting in his armchair at 2pm drinking bottle after bottle of strongbow. My dad was also loaded, I'm not even kidding he had hundreds of thousands to his name but still I had to sleep in a tiny damp bedroom in a grotty flat. We never went on holiday, we never even had dinner together. If my mum went out and got me new school shoes or a winter coat she would have to hide it because he would get angry about her spending her own money, which she had a lot of before they married btw. He got angry about everything. He had a car but my mum had to carry bags and bags of food shopping home, he sat on his arse whilst she went out and got a part time job. My mum tried so hard to help him and look after me the best she could and it ruined her, he was prepared to leave her with nothing after all she had done. Now that he's in a home all he does is blame her, when in reality she saved him. I hate him, but I still see him. It's hard to know what is really him and what is his illness, if there is even a distinction.

Which is why it really pisses me off when my boyfriend and his brother whine about their dad. Ohh, he forgot to do something for you that one time ten years ago? stfu.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
My mum is in jail
Right.

My parents are divorced and me and my sister live with my mom and step-dad.

My dad has shacked up with some woman from Sheffield that he met at work and left my mom to be with. This was shortly followed by a prison sentence for fraud and corruption.He has no more children (that we know of anyway). His older brother hasn't left home, got a girlfriend or anything at aged 49. My grandparents hate everyone apart from my sister, my dad's partner and my uncle. They still cut my uncle's toenails for him. They don't like me much because I'm too much like my mom and they don't understand why I'm still upset and angry with my dad for putting us through hell. He still tries to manipulate my mom and sister but it doesn't work :smile:

My mom is an only child, my nan is a bit eccentric and the rest of the family on that side are lovely but crazy.

I think I'm the normal one!
We're not really dysfunctional. My parents have been married for nearly 25 years and are still madly in love, which is pretty great. We've all got jobs in the house (although mine's voluntary) and we're not the type to go out and break the law or something like that.

There's a few problems in the house. My brother has a terrible temper that appears every other day and it's horrible. My parents are overprotective to the point that they've made attempts to stop me going to university, taking up job interviews, and even just going out with mates.

Except for that, we get along pretty well.
Reply 31
Original post by tehFrance
Parents divorced, my father raised me but treats me more as a mate than a son which actually I prefer and when it matters we are there for each other :h:

Before I moved to the UK, I barely knew my mother due to the fact she left my dad when I was very young and he fought to keep me in France however he lost an appeal which meant I had to live in the UK despite my education, friends and everything I know being in France... we don't have a good relationship, I hate her husband (he is a dip**** that isn't fiscally aware and thinks that he has some control over me) and my half-brother, she really downgraded with that ****... we are quite frankly always at each others throat, step-dad and half-brother, mother not so much now although I do blame her for me being forced to live in the UK because of he selfish reasons.

:console:

Your dad is just great really :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by OliverThomas
We're not exactly dysfunctional, but people often find it strange that my sister is 21 years older than me. My parents are both 59 and have been together since they were 15. They had my sister when they were 19, didn't plan on having any more children and then, at 40, my mum found out that she was pregnant with me. My parents admit that I was an accident but insist that it was a 'happy' one!

Aww :h:
Original post by Anonymous
My family is ideal really. I used to argue with my parents and sisters in my early teens but everyone does that. The most important thing is that my parents never argue, I have never heard either of them raise their voice to the other one. They are very similar in their views so they hardly ever disagree about things. When they do disagree my Dad usually goes along with what ever my Mum says so nothing escalates into a big issue. For example, if my Mum said 'you dont do enough house work' he would do the hovering for a couple of days until she forgot about it. With bigger issues my Mum is so indecisive that unless something is clearly against her views she doesnt know what she wants to happen so my Dad decides and she goes along with it.

I sometimes feel like my we are a bit unfair on my Mum. She works the same amount as my Dad yet does everything around the house, all the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing etc. Strangely though I think she likes doing it because she rarely asks us to help out and we are always happy to when she does. She is a real busybody and never watches tv or lazes around for a day. She broke her leg and had to have a couple of months off work, for the first few weeks she couldn't move off the sofa and even though she had a lot of people visiting her every day, after a couple of days she was really unhappy about not being able to do work. Even though we did everything that needed to be done around the house.

Although the family is really stable, we are not close at all. I could not speak to them for a year and I wouldn't mind and I don't think they would either, although I am sure my mum would lie if asked. We don't talk to each other about our problems, my parents probably do to each other but thats it. We all sit in our rooms and don't speak and when we do its just 'its a nice day today' etc never anything deep.

My Mum fell out with her parents quite badly about money. They speak again now but both feel like the other is in the wrong and don't talk about the issue. Its bit sad because I know my Mum is hurt by what happened but the issue will never be resolved and will probably not be spoken about again.

I can relate to this very well =/
Reply 34
I was brought up with my mum, dad and older brother (half-bro), then my brother moved to the other end of the country to make babies then do lots of drugs and make himself homeless, my parents split up, my mum became something of an alcoholic and I guess I gradually cut her out of my life. We still text on birthdays and stuff but that's it.

So it's just me and my dad. We're close but very much in a father-daughter way, not in a friend kinda way like some families. None of my family have been the type to discuss feelings, relationships etc. and we've always had pretty dull Christmasses and stuff like that, no family gatherings. Both my parents always worked loads, so since I was about 13 I've had a lot of autonomy and independence. They were good parents, never neglected me or really been horrible or restrictive, always given me what I need, I just wish there was a bit more emotional closeness. Can't have it all though!
Reply 35
I have a pretty good relationship with most of my family.

It's only me and my parents that live together when I'm not at uni (since I'm an only child) and our relationship is more like a friendship than a parent-child relationship.

There are no problems with us and mums family or and they don't have any within themselves either from what I know, even though I only see them once a year or less.

On my dad's family, one of his brothers kicked my one of my cousins out of the house for no unmanageable reason, so he had to fly from abroad about 5 years ago and was basically left to be a wanderer due to lack of education. The rest of my family on my dad's side including my parents had tried to help him by giving him advice, employment, etc but he's ignored it or dropped out every time to go back to being a wandering party addict that spends more or less all of the money he gets on material goods, so now they've lost faith in him (since he's currently going to parties etc + on benefits + not working), and for that reason the relationship between my dad's dad and brother isn't that great either.

I get along with my dad's parents in pretty well and so does my mum, but me and my mum are not that close to the rest of his family, since we pretty much never spoke/saw them for 5+ years.

I guess it pays off if you only have friends that are acquaintances due to moving a lot though, since you can't have everything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Laurah5498
Right.

My parents are divorced and me and my sister live with my mom and step-dad.

My dad has shacked up with some woman from Sheffield that he met at work and left my mom to be with. This was shortly followed by a prison sentence for fraud and corruption.He has no more children (that we know of anyway). His older brother hasn't left home, got a girlfriend or anything at aged 49. My grandparents hate everyone apart from my sister, my dad's partner and my uncle. They still cut my uncle's toenails for him. They don't like me much because I'm too much like my mom and they don't understand why I'm still upset and angry with my dad for putting us through hell. He still tries to manipulate my mom and sister but it doesn't work :smile:

My mom is an only child, my nan is a bit eccentric and the rest of the family on that side are lovely but crazy.

I think I'm the normal one!

:rofl:
Original post by Iron Lady
:rofl:

I know, it's terrible!
I haven't spoken to my father in 2 years because I was sick of being miserable. He is a sexist hypocritical man, and I'm incredibly bitter about everything, but better off with out him.

My step-mother is the very definition of evil step mother syndrome

My older brother I haven't seen in years, not because we don't get a long we're just very different people. Also, he has 'issues' and feels overshadowed by me.

I haven't seen my grandfather in years because my mother doesn't speak to him.

My mothers brother doesn't talk to her. But wierdly talks to my dad. He is very wierd and belongs on shameless.

My younger brother has issues because my step dad is a **** to him.

My step dad and I are civil most of the time but we don't get on alot and never have anything to talk about. He likes to argue with me and put me down a lot.

I have 3 other brothers on top of this. Who are mostly okay, but are too young for major issues. Except for Sean who is a bit of a psycho, but he's always been that way.

Not a single member of my family has got A-levels, other than me. None have ever moved away or done anything interesting with their life. Except get arrested/spend their days smoking marujjana They like to put me down, especially my dad, all the time for various issues that each one of them has. But mostly they like to play down my intelligence...

I should also point out that my parents argued a lot when i was a child, they broke up all the time and my mother had affairs. As I child I thought it was normal to hate your family, and we've never been close. We have never talked about anything. I was a very independent child who sorted my own stuff Apparently this reflects in my relationships because I still 'don't communicate' and 'i'm not emotionally expressive enough' and 'too independent'..... apparently.

Also, I have this wierd thing where I hate saying I love you. And I can never say it first. I think this could be related ... :tongue:
Hows that for dysfunctional?
(edited 11 years ago)
Every family is dysfunctional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending