The Student Room Group

Will I get into UofT with a 5 (final mark) in math SL?

I was predicted a 7 in math SL but I completely bombed my paper 2 (high 4/ low 5). I probably got a 7 in paper 1 and I got a 7 for my IAs.

I was accepted with a predicted of 39/45 into Economics (Arts degree) and also got a $2000 scholarship from the university. However, they told me to "obtain the IB diploma and maintain my current grades," so I was wondering if in the end, I get a 5 in IB math SL, would they revoke both my offer of admission and my scholarship? Or if I do better, say, on my Chem HL exam and get a 6 instead of my predicted 5, would that sort of "make up" for my lost marks in math?

Also, when they say "maintain your grades," how much space do I have? How many points do I need?

In case you need my predicted grades:
Math SL: 7
Physics SL: 6
Eng HL: 6
Geo HL: 5
Chem HL: 5
French HL: 7

Also, does a high 4/ low 5 in paper 2 and a 7 in both paper 1 and IAs mean I'll actually get a 5 in math SL? I'm scared because it seems I might be on the borderline between a 5 and a 6 for my final grade, so I'm just asking to be sure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
it is very likely that you will be offered an unconditional admission to UoT if the results turn out as you expected

I know some people in my school with predicted grade of 31-33 getting conditional (Economics and BBA) offers stating "maintain your standing grade" in their admission letter. One of them gets a 3 for maths HL. (however they are all international applicants, who will pay 30.000$ per year)

However, it is "possible" that they withdraw your scholarship if you don't meet the predicted grade - since this gives them the right to do so. But if you still get somewhere around 38+ in the end, it is unlikely that they will revoke your scholarship (but remember, there is no guaranteed answer for this)
Reply 2
You can get into UofT with anything, two guys from my school failed the IB and they're chilling at UFT right now.
Reply 3
Don't worry so much! :smile:

Toronto is really easy to get into. Most people who applied from my school got in, including me- and I was predicted 37 and offered an unconditional so don't stress. People with 32 also get in really easily into UofT. Anything 30+ seems like an acceptance, from the way I've seen it work out over the years. I asked the Toronto person what exactly their conditions were (it was a vaguely worded unconditional offer) and she said that unless that there were extrame (and 'extreme' was underlined) and drastic changes they wouldn't even consider revoking my offer.

Basically, their offers are unconditionals. Just don't get below 30 and they won't reconsider your offer! And about getting an offer in the first place, I'd be really surprised if you don't get it.
Reply 4
Original post by cuteshetlandhorse
I was predicted a 7 in math SL but I completely bombed my paper 2 (high 4/ low 5). I probably got a 7 in paper 1 and I got a 7 for my IAs.

I was accepted with a predicted of 39/45 into Economics (Arts degree) and also got a $2000 scholarship from the university. However, they told me to "obtain the IB diploma and maintain my current grades," so I was wondering if in the end, I get a 5 in IB math SL, would they revoke both my offer of admission and my scholarship? Or if I do better, say, on my Chem HL exam and get a 6 instead of my predicted 5, would that sort of "make up" for my lost marks in math?

Also, when they say "maintain your grades," how much space do I have? How many points do I need?

In case you need my predicted grades:
Math SL: 7
Physics SL: 6
Eng HL: 6
Geo HL: 5
Chem HL: 5
French HL: 7

Also, does a high 4/ low 5 in paper 2 and a 7 in both paper 1 and IAs mean I'll actually get a 5 in math SL? I'm scared because it seems I might be on the borderline between a 5 and a 6 for my final grade, so I'm just asking to be sure.

I am sure you will get into UofT their offers for IB are like 28, with 4s in HL subjects so you should be alright. Unless u do really bad in your other subjects than a 5 in SL is good enough, cause after all the grade boundaries for maths sl are quite strict, for a 7 u need like 84% or even higher.
My girlfriend got into the best college at UoT (trinity college) for international relations and some economics stuff with a 36 in the IB with
English HL 6
Chemistry HL 5
Physics HL 4

French SL 7
Maths SL 5
Psychology SL 6
and two As for TOK and EE.

However despite some crappy grades and 'only' a 36, she is really f***ing smart so it isn't much of a surprise she got it in, considering admission is not based on grades alone.
Original post by OmeletteAuFromage
My girlfriend got into the best college at UoT (trinity college) for international relations and some economics stuff with a 36 in the IB with
English HL 6
Chemistry HL 5
Physics HL 4

French SL 7
Maths SL 5
Psychology SL 6
and two As for TOK and EE.

However despite some crappy grades and 'only' a 36, she is really f***ing smart so it isn't much of a surprise she got it in, considering admission is not based on grades alone.

Oh wow, that is exactly the direction that I'm going towards! I'm also in Trinity College and I applied for Trinity One (International relations as well), but I have yet to get in :frown:, do you know when she got in to the program?

My first-year major is also Economics B.A.!
Original post by cuteshetlandhorse
Oh wow, that is exactly the direction that I'm going towards! I'm also in Trinity College and I applied for Trinity One (International relations as well), but I have yet to get in :frown:, do you know when she got in to the program?

My first-year major is also Economics B.A.!

Are you applying for undergrad?

She got her acceptance email like in early april I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest