The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham: Modern Language Applicants 2012!

I'm currently in my first year at Birmingham studying BA Hispanic Studies (Spanish and Portuguese). If anyone has any questions about the MFL department etc, feel free to ask :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, thank you for making this thread! I've firmed Birmingham and hope to study French and Spanish from this September. I've been informed that unlike some other unis, Birmingham doesn't have a specific language centre (where you can access books, films, TV etc), but there does seem to be plenty available in the main library. So I wanted to ask - do you find that there are still enough resources for Language students to access? Also, how easy is it to access IT facilities in general? Thanks a lot :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Giulia.x
Hi, thank you for making this thread! I've firmed Birmingham and hope to study French and Spanish from this September. I've been informed that unlike some other unis, Birmingham doesn't have a specific language centre (where you can access books, films, TV etc), but there does seem to be plenty available in the main library. So I wanted to ask - do you find that there are still enough resources for Language students to access? Also, how easy is it to access IT facilities in general? Thanks a lot :smile:

It doesn't have a specific language centre, but everything you need is in the library, in pretty much one place, so I guess it serves a similar purpose :smile: There are language labs with computers that have headphones etc in Strathcona (languages building). There are plenty of resources :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
It doesn't have a specific language centre, but everything you need is in the library, in pretty much one place, so I guess it serves a similar purpose :smile: There are language labs with computers that have headphones etc in Strathcona (languages building). There are plenty of resources :smile:

Thank you :smile: And lastly - how are you finding the course overall? The Spanish choice modules look really interesting!
Reply 4
I applied to do Spanish and French but then changed my university choice but I really want to go there now! It's too late to change now, so I was wondering is the course busy? I'm hoping I might be able to call up on results day :s
Thank you :smile: And lastly - how are you finding the course overall? The Spanish choice modules look really interesting!

It's really interesting :smile: Its quite difficult and demanding at the moment because of exams and etc, but the choices are really really good. Which modules do you like the sound of?
Reply 6
It's really interesting :smile: Its quite difficult and demanding at the moment because of exams and etc, but the choices are really really good. Which modules do you like the sound of?

Good :smile: ohhh, I didnt't think there were exams in the first year cos it doesn't count towards your final degree mark! I like the sound of the History and Politics module in first year, and there were a few second year options that sounded really good, there's one on medival Spainish attitudes to love (and other things I can't remember!), one on narratives on domestic violence and another on life writing e.g. prison writing. How are you finding the work load?
Reply 7
I'm currently in my first year at Birmingham studying BA Hispanic Studies (Spanish and Portuguese). If anyone has any questions about the MFL department etc, feel free to ask :smile:

Hi, do you have a foreign language A level? Ie Spanish? Or did you start from scratch at uni?

I'm thinking of doing Hispanic studies as half of a joint honours course. Do you know if you have to have a Spanish A level to be within a chance of getting an offer from Birmingham?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by arty
Hi, do you have a foreign language A level? Ie Spanish? Or did you start from scratch at uni?

I'm thinking of doing Hispanic studies as half of a joint honours course. Do you know if you have to have a Spanish A level to be within a chance of getting an offer from Birmingham?

I think you will need to have Spanish A level to get an offer. At an A/B grade. I think the beginners Spanish option is only available as part of the straight Modern Languages course.
Good :smile: ohhh, I didnt't think there were exams in the first year cos it doesn't count towards your final degree mark! I like the sound of the History and Politics module in first year, and there were a few second year options that sounded really good, there's one on medival Spainish attitudes to love (and other things I can't remember!), one on narratives on domestic violence and another on life writing e.g. prison writing. How are you finding the work load?

Yes, I have 13 exams this year. The work load is ok throughout the year, but at the moment there is a LOT to do! You have to be prepared to work for quite a lot of time each week, outside of lectures, especially on improving your language and doing lots of background reading.
Reply 10
Yes, I have 13 exams this year. The work load is ok throughout the year, but at the moment there is a LOT to do! You have to be prepared to work for quite a lot of time each week, outside of lectures, especially on improving your language and doing lots of background reading.

Oh wow that's more exams than I expected. But yeah I know that languages require a lot of hard work and dedication, it will be even more intense in Spanish as I will be doing it from Beginners' level! Do you still feel you have enough time for extra curricular activites and to just RELAX a little?!
Oh wow that's more exams than I expected. But yeah I know that languages require a lot of hard work and dedication, it will be even more intense in Spanish as I will be doing it from Beginners' level! Do you still feel you have enough time for extra curricular activites and to just RELAX a little?!

Yeah. I mean, I have 3 6pm finishes in the week etc, but there is time to do your own thing of course :smile: I'm on the rowing team etc, Vice pres of the Spanish society....So as long as you're getting your work done, make the most of it! :biggrin:
Original post by Soph(:
I applied to do Spanish and French but then changed my university choice but I really want to go there now! It's too late to change now, so I was wondering is the course busy? I'm hoping I might be able to call up on results day :s

No, it is not too late. Lots of people changed their course at the beginning of the academic year. It needs to be something similar though, e.g. English literature being changed to English Literature with American and Canadian studies etc. If I were you, I wouldn't call up on results day as the universities are completely bombarded by phone calls. Your best bet is to email the admissions department for your course, and ask them whether or not it is possible :smile:
Original post by sandrah01
And lastly - how are you finding the course overall?

I am really enjoying the course. There is a good balance between language, literature, politics, history etc. You don't feel like you do loads of one thing and not enough of another. All the extra work that you're willing to put in really does benefit you :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah. I mean, I have 3 6pm finishes in the week etc, but there is time to do your own thing of course :smile: I'm on the rowing team etc, Vice pres of the Spanish society....So as long as you're getting your work done, make the most of it! :biggrin:

Good to hear :smile: and now this IS the last thing I will ask :tongue: - how do you find the academic support within the department?
Good to hear :smile: and now this IS the last thing I will ask :tongue: - how do you find the academic support within the department?

Its fantastic. If you need help you can easily email the tutors as they are really approachable, or you can go to their office and speak to them in person etc :smile: There is lots of ways to easily get advice and info :smile:
Reply 16
Its fantastic. If you need help you can easily email the tutors as they are really approachable, or you can go to their office and speak to them in person etc :smile: There is lots of ways to easily get advice and info :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 17
Hi I have applied for French and English Language at Birmingham and just wondered what the average timetable is on the course? Do you have lectures every day?
Original post by Courtney05
Hi I have applied for French and English Language at Birmingham and just wondered what the average timetable is on the course? Do you have lectures every day?

I do, yes. I have around 18-20hrs per week, dependent on your module choices.
Reply 19
thankyou :smile: are the courses over subscribed or under? I looked on ucas track and found that they were still accepting applications for my course - only found three people doing it so far! Have they let people on your course who fell below the requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest