The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Alexander Court/Polwarth House for first years?

anyone have any idea what they're like compared to the halls? I know they're flats and have less people per kitchen etc but are the room sizes similar or..?
Reply 1
Original post by KatieLS
anyone have any idea what they're like compared to the halls? I know they're flats and have less people per kitchen etc but are the room sizes similar or..?

Keen to hear about Alexander Court too! Apparently that's where the nurses are to be this year, seems fine, but almost a mile away from main part of campus??
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Hello, although I did not stay in Ally court or Polwarth, they are very similiar to the other halls, other than they have less than half the amount of people per kitchen and so are considerably cleaner :P:. Ally court isn't really that far a walk from the other halls and main university buildings other than Pathfoot, as it is still on campus, but i'd probably choose to go nearer to the other halls in 1st year, as that's where I stayed and it was a lot of fun :smile:
I stayed in Polwarth House for my second year. The rooms are very much the same size as the other Halls - if anything, they seem smaller as the desk runs along the side of the room and doesn't leave much floor space (ASH and AKD might be the same - I spent my first year in Murray, where the desk is along the front of the room by the window).

That said, I really liked Polwarth. The flats are all either 4 or 6 people, which is a good number if you don't fancy sharing with loads (although to be honest, that was never a problem for me). The main advantage it has over Ally Court is that it's more "immediately" on campus. You're about 10 mins (at the most) from your classes, as opposed to at least 20 mins from Ally Court. Also, Polwarth houses the main laundry facility, so you'll be right next to that.

I have photos of my old Polwarth flat which I could e-mail you if you're interested. Getting a room there could be tight though as I think there are only about 100 spaces.
Original post by ItsNotMeItsYou
I stayed in Polwarth House for my second year. The rooms are very much the same size as the other Halls - if anything, they seem smaller as the desk runs along the side of the room and doesn't leave much floor space (ASH and AKD might be the same - I spent my first year in Murray, where the desk is along the front of the room by the window).

That said, I really liked Polwarth. The flats are all either 4 or 6 people, which is a good number if you don't fancy sharing with loads (although to be honest, that was never a problem for me). The main advantage it has over Ally Court is that it's more "immediately" on campus. You're about 10 mins (at the most) from your classes, as opposed to at least 20 mins from Ally Court. Also, Polwarth houses the main laundry facility, so you'll be right next to that.

I have photos of my old Polwarth flat which I could e-mail you if you're interested. Getting a room there could be tight though as I think there are only about 100 spaces.

hey there, Ive sent you a PM with my email address. Considering Polwarth as i think the 6 people in a flat idea would suit me better. Was going to go for AKD but id be interested to see some pics!
Original post by gregyscotland_MFC
hey there, Ive sent you a PM with my email address. Considering Polwarth as i think the 6 people in a flat idea would suit me better. Was going to go for AKD but id be interested to see some pics!

The best I can offer as a photo of AKD is of a bedroom that's had a kitchen installed in it (silly people don't lock their doors).

62518_1620931249604_1426131637_31609416_1896305_n.jpg
I've sent you my pics. Hope they're helpful - let us know what you decide :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ItsNotMeItsYou
I've sent you my pics. Hope they're helpful - let us know what you decide :smile:

Do you think you could just post your pictures on here? Would be easier as everyone could see them :smile:
Have they reversed this decision, just noticed it no longer says on the website that Polwarth House is for first years...
^ This is quite bizarre, because there was recently an annoucement for us current students saying there were vacancies at Polwarth if we weren't already sorted for next year's accommodation.

You could always e-mail Residential Services and ask about it. Generally speaking, if you have a specific request and there are spaces available they will slot you in where you want. I've heard of first years being allocated Polwarth & Muirhead on request in the past, but it might mean you share with older students, which isn't as fun! But if it's peace and quiet you're looking for, it's worth asking.

Quick Reply

Latest