The Student Room Group

Top 10 gadgets for university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zara55
Sigh. Thanks!

I take it ipad is a big no-no for you then? They are really really good, I totally recommend them if you have the cash. But friends with Samsung report equally impressive things.

I don't see how any sort of tablet is a must have for uni. Surely a standard laptop/desktop does everything the tablet does (and does it better)?
Original post by Mad Vlad
Financially supported, how?

No, you don't lose the right to make suggestions - you simply say:
Computer
MP3 player
Mobile Phone

instead of

MacBook
iPod
iPhone

It's not hard.

Sorry Mr. Perfectionist

Edit: Thanks for the Neg too i appreciate it :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
A dictaphone - you'll be so grateful when it comes to revision.
Reply 63
Original post by UnknownPerson
Sorry Mr. Perfectionist

It's not perfectionism, it's being vendor neutral. Let people make their own minds up about what they purchase rather than push a particular brand.

Students should always look for the solution that meets their requirements, and does it for the lowest cost. Bang for buck is a very real consideration for the majority of cash-strapped students.

For me, Apple's shiny things are very nice, but there are cheaper, similarly functioned alternatives.
Reply 64
Original post by thetopnotch
I don't see how any sort of tablet is a must have for uni. Surely a standard laptop/desktop does everything the tablet does (and does it better)?

It isn't a "must-have", but that wasn't the question - the OP asked for personal lists of the top 10 gadgets for University - ipad has to be up there in my (and loads of other people's) opinion - I'm sure lots of other tabs are really good too. They aren't as vital as money for food or to pay your energy bills but they are good if you have some spare money to get one.

Isn't it actually more useful for OP to hear the real names and recommendations of things people found useful rather than vague generalities?
It's not perfectionism, it's being vendor neutral. Let people make their own minds up about what they purchase rather than push a particular brand.

Students should always look for the solution that meets their requirements, and does it for the lowest cost. Bang for buck is a very real consideration for the majority of cash-strapped students.

For me, Apple's shiny things are very nice, but there are cheaper, similarly functioned alternatives.

Skeeen :colone:
Reply 66

It isn't true that they are just shiny and nice. There are a lot of real advantages to Apple's products - they haven't stormed the world just on looks, regardless of what some purists say.
Reply 67
None of the other tablets are in the same league as the Ipad tbh.
With phones apple has some competition though.
Original post by zara55
It isn't true that they are just shiny and nice. There are a lot of real advantages to Apple's products - they haven't stormed the world just on looks, regardless of what some purists say.

No point in arguing with ''Mr. Perfectionist'' .. He knows it all .. Me, you and rest of the world are DUMB and stupid
Reply 69
laptop
printer (if printing is extortionate at your uni...just don't let anyone else know about it :grumble:)
mp3 player
mobile

that's it for me really, though a 'sumg/******* seeking missile would be nice from time to time :colone:...
Reply 70
Original post by UnknownPerson
Sorry Mr. Perfectionist

Edit: Thanks for the Neg too i appreciate it :biggrin:

Incidentally, I haven't negged you. :p:
Reply 71
Original post by Frey
laptop
printer (if printing is extortionate at your uni...just don't let anyone else know about it :grumble:)
mp3 player
mobile

that's it for me really, though a 'sumg/******* seeking missile would be nice from time to time :colone:...

This, actually. A mono laser printer is actually an extremely useful thing to bring along. Depending on how much you print, you may actually get through your entire time at uni with the low capacity toner cartridge you get with budget mono lasers. The printers cost about £50. These low capacity toners are often good for 1500-2500 pages, which at my old uni would have cost between £90 and £150 to print.
Original post by dmccririck
Oh... the >£250 that have the same sound quality as some 50p headphones? Every student needs those.

FYP. Dre Beats are so, so bad.
how much trolling can there be on one thread?
Reply 74
This, actually. A mono laser printer is actually an extremely useful thing to bring along. Depending on how much you print, you may actually get through your entire time at uni with the low capacity toner cartridge you get with budget mono lasers. The printers cost about £50. These low capacity toners are often good for 1500-2500 pages, which at my old uni would have cost between £90 and £150 to print.

thank you for the suggestion!I have to always print essays off and check them on paper to be able to re-draft properly. :smile:
Reply 75
Not a gadget as such- but TWISTER for low-tech drunken fun :smile:
Reply 76

:ditto:

Original post by zara55

What did the second generation(?) Ipods do that a Creative Zen Vision: M didn't do? Very little and the Vision M offered a superior screen and sound. What about my current Cowon media player (with its awesome sound quality) and the latest Ipods? Granted, the Ipod is slightly more user friendly/intuitive than anything Cowon seems to make, but I don't have to mess around with Itunes, it gives far superior sound quality, offers more in terms of additional features and so on.

I'm not against Apple, I have an original Ipad myself, but I'm not going to bow down to Apple and assume that, as a product is more popular, it is so through being superior. One product or brand can be more popular than another for various reasons, not least through more aggressive marketing.
Reply 77
I'm not really expecting to be able to afford as many as 10 gadgets when I get to uni. Maybe I'm being pessimistic...
Reply 78
Original post by River85
:ditto:

What did the second generation(?) Ipods do that a Creative Zen Vision: M didn't do? Very little and the Vision M offered a superior screen and sound. What about my current Cowon media player (with its awesome sound quality) and the latest Ipods? Granted, the Ipod is slightly more user friendly/intuitive than anything Cowon seems to make, but I don't have to mess around with Itunes, it gives far superior sound quality, offers more in terms of additional features and so on.

I'm not against Apple, I have an original Ipad myself, but I'm not going to bow down to Apple and assume that, as a product is more popular, it is so through being superior. One product or brand can be more popular than another for various reasons, not least through more aggressive marketing.

The only bad thing was that they're as heavy as ****.
Reply 79
Original post by Frey
thank you for the suggestion!I have to always print essays off and check them on paper to be able to re-draft properly. :smile:

No probs. Do your research before buying though - you want one that's sufficiently cheap to buy, but you want to get one that's going to have a decent enough fitted toner, otherwise you'll have to take into account the usual total cost of ownership figures and factor in the huge unit cost of replacement toners which can frequently be more expensive than the printer itself.

Quick Reply

Latest