The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

What.
Help.

Is it worth firming Warwick, and putting Bristol as an insurance (both AAA)?

Reason being, incase I miss AAA, then Bristol may on the off chance accept me?

I cite the falls in applicant numbers which may give me this chance.

Or should I play it safe and insure an AAB?

Thanks.

nulli tertius
x
Original post by tehforum
Help.

Thanks.

Looking at the offers thread, some have AAB offers and there's even an ABC offer. So in my opinion, definitely worth putting as an insurance choice.

At least that makes sense, not like somebody on here with a Notts AAB offer as firm and a QM A*AA offer as insurance. That really is just greediness.
Original post by admbeatmaker
Looking at the offers thread, some have AAB offers and there's even an ABC offer. So in my opinion, definitely worth putting as an insurance choice.

At least that makes sense, not like somebody on here with a Notts AAB offer as firm and a QM A*AA offer as insurance. That really is just greediness.

The only problem with that is the AAB offers are given to those with education disadvantage. And the ABC probably is fake, or the person had serious mitigating circumstances.

Argh!
(edited 11 years ago)
The only problem with that is the AAB offers are given to those with education disadvantage. And the ABC probably is fake, or the person had serious mitigated circumstances.

Argh!

If you're interested, Warwick did say at the law open day that if you were to miss your offer by one grade in one subject, they'll still accept you if they have places. I was one of those educationally disadvantaged (lucky me :wink: ), so I've gone with Warwick (AAAD) as my firm and Bristol (AAB) as my insurance :smile:
Original post by PortionsForFoxes
If you're interested, Warwick did say at the law open day that if you were to miss your offer by one grade in one subject, they'll still accept you if they have places. I was one of those educationally disadvantaged (lucky me :wink: ), so I've gone with Warwick (AAAD) as my firm and Bristol (AAB) as my insurance :smile:

:colone:

Ah, no I am not going to risk that.

The woman who was showing our group around actually missed her offer by ONE UMS last year.

Yet, they said we can't let you in - there are no spare places.

Luckily, she got a remark and it went up.

And with increased competition, I can't see any chance of getting into Warwick if I miss a grade, unless I get a remark.
(edited 11 years ago)
Help.

Thanks.

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

I think it depends firstly on how willing you are to take an unintended gap year. There is no point in doing this if you end up clearing to an LLB at Oldham College.

Next, I think it depends on where your AAB offers are from. I wouldn't turn down Reading (or a low offer AAB from a normally AAA university) but I would turn down Bournemouth for the gamble. There are others where it is more touch and go.
:colone:

Ah, now I am not going to risk that.

The woman who was showing our group around actually missed her offer by ONE UMS last year.

Yet, they said we can't let you in - there are no spare places.

Luckily, she got a remark and it went up.

And with increased competition, I can't see any chance of getting into Warwick if I miss a grade, unless I get a remark.

:eek: Oh, damn them and their false promises! But you're right, talking to the people on the law open day everyone is so academically strong!
Are you definitely firming Warwick, regardless of your insurance? I don't know anyone going at all and it's terrifying me!
:eek: Oh, damn them and their false promises! But you're right, talking to the people on the law open day everyone is so academically strong!
Are you definitely firming Warwick, regardless of your insurance? I don't know anyone going at all and it's terrifying me!

Yeah, definitely firming warwick.

there are plenty of warwick firmers.

bea492, Tsunami2011, narusku, and some other peeps.
Yeah, definitely firming warwick.

there are plenty of warwick firmers.

bea492, Tsunami2011, narusku, and some other peeps.

Ahh I meant in real life :smile: But I'll get talking!
Ahh I meant in real life :smile: But I'll get talking!

ah right, same, but hardly anyone does law lol
ah right, same, but hardly anyone does law lol

I was the only person in my year that did, and my sixth form had no idea what to do with me. I've joined the facebook firmers group, but for some reason the idea of posting on it scares the hell out of me. I'm going to be so sociable :redface:
The only problem with that is the AAB offers are given to those with education disadvantage. And the ABC probably is fake, or the person had serious mitigating circumstances.

Argh!

I got into Bristol this year, already having A2s of AAB. I don't think I'm educationally disadvantaged, just didn't revise enough :/ Rejected the offer though, btw
Hello, im a lower sixth student studying chem bio and politics, as i used to think science was theonly career path for me, (how foolish i once was).
My GCSEs were pretty rubbish, i got AAABBBBB, one of the As in english, and have began to look at law, i understand how bad competition for places is and that to gbecome a barrister/solicitor you need to go to a good uni,
im capable of AAA but would any decent uni even look at me?
pleae be honest, I dont want to chase shadows,
Original post by jude2112
Hello, im a lower sixth student studying chem bio and politics, as i used to think science was theonly career path for me, (how foolish i once was).
My GCSEs were pretty rubbish, i got AAABBBBB, one of the As in english, and have began to look at law, i understand how bad competition for places is and that to gbecome a barrister/solicitor you need to go to a good uni,
im capable of AAA but would any decent uni even look at me?
pleae be honest, I dont want to chase shadows,

I'm heading off to York (entry requirement is AAA), and my GCSEs are far worse with not a single A. No word of a lie. As long as you can get those As, then you'll be fine.

Argh!

The ABC offer is held by someone who already has french A Level I think.
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty with choosing which UCAS offers to accept as firm and insurance. I am a Scottish applicant and have offers as follows for Advanced Higher:

KCL: A1 A
UCL: AAA
Edinburgh: Unconditional
Bristol: AA

Originally, I was going to put UCL as my firm choice. The problem now is that I have been offered a scholarship from KCL of £18,000 (£3,000 per semester) and, putting the financial incentive aside, I do not know whether the 'status' of having a scholarship will outweigh the difference between UCL and KCL's academic reputation, which is sort of important for me as I can see myself doing postgrad study and/or going to the bar. I assume the social experience would be roughly the same(?) I have to firmly accept KCL to get the scholarship.

Thanks for your advice.
Original post by fawltyfan
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty with choosing which UCAS offers to accept as firm and insurance. I am a Scottish applicant and have offers as follows for Advanced Higher:

KCL: A1 A
UCL: AAA
Edinburgh: Unconditional
Bristol: AA

Originally, I was going to put UCL as my firm choice. The problem now is that I have been offered a scholarship from KCL of £18,000 (£3,000 per semester) and, putting the financial incentive aside, I do not know whether the 'status' of having a scholarship will outweigh the difference between UCL and KCL's academic reputation, which is sort of important for me as I can see myself doing postgrad study and/or going to the bar. I assume the social experience would be roughly the same(?) I have to firmly accept KCL to get the scholarship.

Thanks for your advice.

Your job prospects won't change at all if you do well and you are extremely motivated. But your pocket will feel great. Take KCL with the scholarship. The scholarship also makes for something good to go on the CV, especially being something as substantial as £18,000.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out...I'm a Scottish student and I've applied to do Law next year. I got offers from all my unis, and my top choices are Durham, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

The thing is I'd really like to get out of Scotland and go to Durham, as loads of people I know are going to Edinburgh/Glasgow and I think I'd like to go somewhere a bit more unexplored (I also live really close to Edinburgh). But I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to go to Durham?!? Is it a far better university for Law than Edinburgh? Of course there's also the whole Scottish law/English law thing where I'd have to convert to the other country's system if I wanted to move there, after studying my degree.

So basically, is is worth spending money and going to Durham for Law, or should I stick with Edinburgh or Glasgow? Any help really appreciated!
Original post by fawltyfan
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty with choosing which UCAS offers to accept as firm and insurance.

Thanks for your advice.

I would take KCL with the scholarship. No discernable difference between the two. The Law school is now in a fab location at KCL. The status of having the scholarship will be good for CVs (if it's an academic type thing not an NSP type thing) You'll get in to anywhere to do postgrad and you'll have an equal shot at the bar with either.

The one thing is I rate UCLs halls and location above KCL. There's a bit of traveling to do fro mKCL halls to the Strand where KCL is, whereas UCL is pretty much all in Bloomsbury. (just under Euston station) In some halls you could probably watch your lectures from bed(!) (not quite!) But you'll be living in some far-flung corner in year two anyway, so...

Edit, You obviosuly know that Scots Law and English law is different. Surely that rules out either Edinburgh or KCL and UCL and Bristol? Or are you not fussy?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply