The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RVP just congratulated Vertonghen on twitter.

Gefeliciteerd @Jan_Vertonghen deserved MVP of the dutch league!

Watch the transfer rumours explode.
Original post by Numan786
anyone else hear that we might be after dempsey to play behind pod and rvp? wouldn't surprise me wenger has shown interest in him

great player massively underrated, could play in any of the front 4 positions in our formation and most importantly has experience (arteta/benayoun has easily slotted in our team). Would love to see him in our team, but a DMF should be our priority right now.
Wenger on Vertonghen:
“Great players like to be with great players, so it helps always to get them in. First, we want Robin to stay, because he is convinced we can play for the championship.

“We have bought Podolski. Vertonghen is a defender. He is an interesting player but he is a centre-back.

“We look at all the players all over Europe every week.

“Our next step is to bring Jack Wilshere and Abou Diaby back, and then, if you look at our squad, I don’t feel we are behind anybody else.”
Not a big fan of the sleeves of the new kit.
Reply 1604
Seen twice on twitter now that Steve Bould is the new Assistant Manager, anyone got a legit source for it?
Reply 1605
How long was Mert supose to be out for? I thought he wouldn't be back till pre season but he's been mentioned in Germany's preliminary squad for the Euros.
Reply 1606
Original post by Lyrically
Wenger on Vertonghen:
“Great players like to be with great players, so it helps always to get them in. First, we want Robin to stay, because he is convinced we can play for the championship.

“We have bought Podolski. Vertonghen is a defender. He is an interesting player but he is a centre-back.

“We look at all the players all over Europe every week.

“Our next step is to bring Jack Wilshere and Abou Diaby back, and then, if you look at our squad, I don’t feel we are behind anybody else.”

You bolded the wrong part imo. Like I've said all along, nothing's changed from last season. Actually, we've progressed :lolwut: So, I'll be surprised if we sign alot of players
Original post by 419
You bolded the wrong part imo. Like I've said all along, nothing's changed from last season. Actually, we've progressed :lolwut: So, I'll be surprised if we sign alot of players

Progressed in terms of what though? points? position finished? squad quality?

Our next step of progression would actually be to compete for the league/win a trophy (whilst maintaining top 4 status).

We've lost nasri, cesc, clichy, (wilshere & arshavin) in terms of squad quality this year, with only arteta/mertesacker being viable additions.

Diaby to us is what Hargreaves is/was to city/united, useless. almunia,squillaci,denilson,chamakh,vela, bendtner, arshavin are as good as gone. So we at least need another CM & AM/WF. Let's hope wenger can see that.
What happened Felipo Melo? I remember a couple of seasons ago, we were linked with him
Reply 1609
Original post by Lyrically
Progressed in terms of what though? points? position finished? squad quality?

Our next step of progression would actually be to compete for the league/win a trophy (whilst maintaining top 4 status).

We've lost nasri, cesc, clichy, (wilshere & arshavin) in terms of squad quality this year, with only arteta/mertesacker being viable additions.

Diaby to us is what Hargreaves is/was to city/united, useless. almunia,squillaci,denilson,chamakh,vela, bendtner, arshavin are as good as gone. So we at least need another CM & AM/WF. Let's hope wenger can see that.

Points-wise but that's based on the assumption that we beat WBA.
Reply 1610
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Laziest argument in the Premier league. I still can't believe people are still on that boat. He has had a very decent debut season (better than Koscielny). Aside from a few shaky performances at the beginning of the season, he has settled in extremely well and has kept the defence stable at the most part when he has played. You clearly don't watch any of our games and hence shouldn't comment until you can actually give a well researched opinion.

I saw him many times at Werder Bremen, which is why i was hoping we would sign Cahill, Tasci or Subotic instead, as he was regularly getting skinned by rapid, tricky forwards. I can't credit you with knowing anything about defending if you think its been stable AT ALL this season, but we have looked at our best with Vermaelen, Kosh or even Djourou (bar a couple of errors) instead of Mertesacker. I do actually watch our matches regularly, and if you think your answer is a "well researched opinion" then dudeee you should go back to netball
Reply 1611
Original post by Kruz
What happened Felipo Melo? I remember a couple of seasons ago, we were linked with him

went to Juve from Fiorentina i think for about £15-20million, so we're not guna get him now, bit overrated anyway imo!
I had just a discussion with my mate, who's convinced that Arsenal aren't an ambitious club, because we don't spend money/win trophies. I keep having to remind that, we're in the process of paying of a huge stadium payment. Once we've paid it off, we'll be able to start making so called 'big signings'
Rumours going around twitter that we are going to sign someone big by the end of the weekend.
Reply 1614
So many rumours about a potential signing worth £10 million+ on Twitter - lets just hope it's true...
So many of the reliable Arsenal tweeters are going on about a big signing after the WBA game. Please let it be RVP signing a new contract :dice:.

EDIT: The rumours are originating from Renato, Alex and You Are My Arsenal on Twitter for anyone interested...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1616
Original post by jilebinator
Rumours going around twitter that we are going to sign someone big by the end of the weekend.

The guy who is apparently releasing 'the signing' on Twitter has increased his followers by 2,000 at least. We will have to see whether there is any concrete source in what he is actually reporting...
Original post by Darth Vader 7
So many of the reliable Arsenal tweeters are going on about a big signing after the WBA game. Please let it be RVP signing a new contract :dice:.

EDIT: The rumours are originating from Renato, Alex and You Are My Arsenal on Twitter for anyone interested...

You are my Arsenal just said it's M'villa even though he said he can't say till after west brom game :/
Reply 1618
M' Villa it is apparently - the signing is not dependant on whether we get CL football next season.
Alright, it's been confirmed that it's M'Vila and it's broken our transfer record. Best part is that it isn't affected by CL qualification. Still I'm extremely scepticle until Arsenal.com announce it.

Latest