The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by heymoriarty
People generally tend to think that I'm doing a useless degree. When I told a family friend what I was going to study at Uni, he looked at me like I was a piece of dirt he found on the bottom of his shoe. People get the impression that they are qualified enough to say that I'll never find a job.

What are you studying?
Original post by kates:)
Either you don't know or are narrow-minded. Nevertheless, I know lots of people who have studied History who went on to be accountants, lawyers, journalists or working in advertising, retail and business. Obviously there are those who choose to teach or work in museums etc. History, whilst teaching you about the past, actually teaches a lot of valuable skills. There is a reason it is a respected university degree.

............. I look forward to buying Big Macs from you :smile:
Reply 1422
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Economics translates to VWL? how does that even work

It's an abbreviation of 'Volkswirtschaftslehre'.
Original post by Chr0n
It's an abbreviation of 'Volkswirtschaftslehre'.

Well it'd be a damn nice change if out politicians came out of their PPE degree with an understanding of the Austrian School intstead of all the Keynesian crap they ruin our economy with.
Reply 1424
Original post by Keckers
Well it'd be a damn nice change if out politicians came out of their PPE degree with an understanding of the Austrian School intstead of all the Keynesian crap they ruin our economy with.

To be honest, I think they should get a thorough understanding of both.
Original post by Chr0n
To be honest, I think they should get a thorough understanding of both.

Certainly. It just seems as if anything alternative to Keynesian dogma is completely ignored by politicians however.
Parents' friend: So, what are you studying at uni?
Me: International agricultural business and equine management.
Parents' friend: Oooooh sounds interesting, what does that entail?
Me: Pony patting and tractor driving.
Parents' friend: 0_o

Every. Single. Time. :P
Reply 1427
"oh so that's just rocks" literally every time. NO IT'S NOT. Waaah.
"do you have a collection of rocks?" what?
"What can you do with that? You won't get a well paid job." Do you know anything about the oil industry etc?
Oh dear.
I'm doing Geology potentially...
Reply 1428
Original post by dnumberwang
Have you ever had a "middle of nowhere!" response?

I've got a place at Warwick for MA Gender and international development as well. I'm keen to find out what the career prospects are? SInce you've graduated, do you find the career prospects limiting? Is it easy to get a job? What types of jobs?

Would love to hear more....

Cheers!
I study environmental science and usually the reaction is "so you're gonna save the environment? Climate change and stuff"
Reply 1430
Original post by djgoebbels
"Wow, that sounds complicated"
I'm doing International Relations and Global Issues

Edit: Okey honestly, what's up with the neg? Do people think I implied something? I don't believe I impied anything. All I did was to straightforwardly anser the question. What am I supposed to do? "It seems complicated" is their usual response and even though I don't find my subject any more complicated than other subjects, and the fact that they might not be the sharpest knives in the box, it's still their response - for what this thread is intended.

Wow, some people are so petty :s I don't see why there'd be any reason to neg that even once.

Anyway, really interesting thread! Funny to look at people's answers
Creative Industries management

"so what do you want to create?"
"I'm not gonna create anything!"
"but why do study it since you don't want to create anything?"
:pierre:
I told some guys that Im about to study Geography, and they were like "oh so you study rocks?", and i was like "no, thats geology", and now they wont stop going on about why I dont like rocks -_-
I do psychology and I get several answers to mine-
I quite often get what others have put
"oooo like Darren Brown, so you can read my mind then?" seriously wtf? Where has it said in any prospectus you obtain mind reading abilities
"So what can do do with that" and I tell them I want to be psychologist and I get "oooo a psychiatrist, that'll be good" :s-smilie:

Or my favourite one is they think I'm like Jeremy Kyle or something and start rambling on about their problems and I'm like :confused:
Original post by x-Saffire-x
I study environmental science and usually the reaction is "so you're gonna save the environment? Climate change and stuff"

I met someone in my Union who said they were studying that and my friend who was with me said, "ooo so your gunna be like a womble?"

He was not impressed lol
I do Psychology and I always get the read my mind malarky. I have nothing to say to those comments. All I say is "yeah........ ......" Perhaps I should come up with some responses for these awkward moments :/
Original post by x-Saffire-x

snap. to which I normally reply: no, we're ****ing doomed, I just take an interest in how it's unfolding.
Original post by RobertWhite
I do Psychology and I always get the read my mind malarky. I have nothing to say to those comments. All I say is "yeah........ ......" Perhaps I should come up with some responses for these awkward moments :/

Maybe we should say something like, "yeah and those inappropriate thoughts you've got tucked away in that subconcious of yours, filth". :biggrin:
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
Maybe we should say something like, "yeah and those inappropriate thoughts you've got tucked away in that subconcious of yours, filth". :biggrin:

Haha that's a pretty good one! Probably not appropriate when the elderly ask :biggrin:
Original post by RobertWhite

Personally I'd do something like, "You look like you're going to spend your life having one epiphany after another, thinking about your life before this moment and wondering where it all went wrong, where all the plans went. You feel like you're somehow going to make your dreams come true, and you keep chasing them, but somehow you never see them unfold. That's not because something inside you needs to change, that's just you. That mediocrity is who you are, ingrained in your subconscious due to your environment as a child. The thing standing between your dream and reality, is you."

Then proceed to see the shock on their face, or hear their nervous chuckle as they sip their drink and walk away to the corner of the room.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest