The Student Room Group

Vauxhall Corsa D or Citroen C1

Im looking to buy a 2007/2008 1.2 corsa D, this is my first choice but my dad was telling my that vauxhall cars aren't very reliable, has anyone had any problems with the new model?
Bearing in mind i'm not a car fanatic and so i'm not too bothered as long as it gets me from A to B fine.

The other option i've been looking at is the C1, which one would you say is the better of the two?

Thanks!
Why can't you purchase both TROLOLO
Reply 2
If I were you I'd go for the corsa because in my opinion its better looking, it's bigger I'd say it would be more reliable than the c1 as French cars are generally perceived as unreliable, I've got no experience with that though.

The c1 will be better on petrol (61mpg compared to 48mpg for the corsa), probably better to drive but will be loud on the motorway and small inside.
Reply 3
Vauxhalls aren't particularly unreliable? Some models have had a few problems but you could get that with any manufacturer.

I'd go for the Corsa over the C1.
Reply 4
The C1 is a Citroen, but with Toyota mechanicals. I wouldn't be too worried about reliability wrt it.
Reply 5
I've got an 08 corsa D, really good car, reliable except the timing chain snapped (really rare to happen) - was all covered by NetworkQ/Vauxhall after hours of dispute with dodgy garages.

C1 is slightly quicker, but it's not as spacious, the seats in the corsa are better IMO too.

Just my experience/opinion though :smile:
Reply 6
Corsa D

I dont go in my dads C1 as i feel like im in a tin can and not safe tbh, i would happily drive my corsa c compared to a c1.
Reply 7
Original post by xsophx
Corsa D

I dont go in my dads C1 as i feel like im in a tin can and not safe tbh, i would happily drive my corsa c compared to a c1.

Exactly this. I dont think they are safe either.
Reply 8
Corsa D definitely. You get much more equipment (I don't think the C1 even has a rev counter), much more space, and it feels really well built. I've never heard of Vauxhalls being unreliable, but with modern cars reliability isn't that much of an issue any more, cars are very reliable now no matter what brand they are or what country they come from. It shouldn't cost that much more to insure or fill up, as it still has quite a small engine. It will also probably be quite a lot faster and better to drive than the C1 (998cc 3cyl engine, producing 67bhp), compared to the Corsa (1229cc 4cyl engine, producing 79bhp)
Reply 9
Original post by NewFolder
Corsa D definitely. You get much more equipment (I don't think the C1 even has a rev counter), much more space, and it feels really well built. I've never heard of Vauxhalls being unreliable, but with modern cars reliability isn't that much of an issue any more, cars are very reliable now no matter what brand they are or what country they come from. It shouldn't cost that much more to insure or fill up, as it still has quite a small engine. It will also probably be quite a lot faster and better to drive than the C1 (998cc 3cyl engine, producing 67bhp), compared to the Corsa (1229cc 4cyl engine, producing 79bhp)

It costs my parents about £60 every 10 days or so to fill up- and they drive quite a distance in it, we personally think its very economical from a fuel point of view.
When my dad isn't working (a 30/35 mile trip daily) a tank will easily last us over a fortnight.

Quick Reply