The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Accommodation Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by marky--mark
My ex-gf is a current student so I've been up to Clive Booth non-Ensuite a few times before, it's really quite decent tbh... Does anyone know when they're going to let us know which accomodation we actually get? I'm on a gap year so I've got an unconditional offer- I don't know if that means I get confirmation earlier or not.

Anyways, here's my choices:

Clive Booth (Non-ensuite)

Warneford

Clive Booth (Ensuite)

Cheney

Paul Kent (although that's pretty much to fill out the last space)

I really don't want to have to work, just think it'd take a lot of flexibility out of student life... I'm with Wetherspoon atm so I could transfer if I wanted- but I don't know. Might quit Wetherspoon and get a shop job or something with less hours than what I'm doing right now.

I've got an unconditional offer too and I believe we get told our accommodation in July when they allocate accommodation to people with unconditional offers :smile: They also said we should get our first choice as well seeing as we don't wait until August to get accommodation like most people. I put down Clive Booth non-ensuite as my first choice too, I went to visit and it seems pretty decent and not as pricey as some of the others :biggrin:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by josiexoxo
I've got an unconditional offer too and I believe we get told our accommodation in July when they allocate accommodation to people with unconditional offers :smile: They also said we should get our first choice as well seeing as we don't wait until August to get accommodation like most people. I put down Clive Booth non-ensuite as my first choice too, I went to visit and it seems pretty decent and not as pricey as some of the others :biggrin:

Yeah, like I said, I've been there for a few overnighters and a couple of 3/4 day stops in flat C... It's very livable and you share 2 showers/toliets between only 6 people- that's actually a better ratio for me than at home... The one and only issue is that the oven takes far too long to warm up. And if that's the only thing I have to complain about, I figure it can't be too bad.

Not really seeing the appeal of ensuite tbh though. Never really wanted to have a loo next to my bedroom. NES is so much cheaper too, for the same functionality.
How long does it take for the accommadation letter to arrive after you've firmed them?
i've got my letter and sended my hall-preferences:
1. clive booth (nin en-suite)
2.warnford
3. clive booth (en suite)
4. paul kent (only to fill a choice, don't really wanna take the bus everyday)
5. crescent hall (same as mentioned before, taking a bus sucks imo)

:biggrin:
anyone any clue when we will get an answer and if they send an email or if we have to check PIP side everyday??
:biggrin:
Reply 24
Have you received your letter yet? - No

What are your choices?

Paul Kent (ES)
Clive Booth (ES)
Warneford Hall (ES)
Clive Booth (NES)
Paul Kent (NES)

Have you heard anything? - No

My friend is a current 2nd year student @ Brookes and she recommended that Clive Booth is the place to be. She also told me that her friend in the 1st year lives in Warneford Halls and is very happy, and is able to be financially stable.

I'm hoping to get Paul Kent (ES) or Clive Booth (either ES/NES) I've only had the chance to see Clive Booth and it's pretty cool.

I'm screwed with Student Finance anyway, but thank God I have a part-time job with Waitrose, awaiting my transfer confirmation.

Hope for the best guys!
Original post by Pensivedore
How long does it take for the accommadation letter to arrive after you've firmed them?

whn did you firm them? 'cause they are sending out letters in may...which is now...:colondollar:
Reply 26
can someone help me out! I insured Oxford Brookes and on the website it says i cant apply for accommodation until i get the grades for sure :P so does that mean if i do get the grades and end up going to oxford brookes there might not even be a place for me at accommodation??
Original post by nadeen94
can someone help me out! I insured Oxford Brookes and on the website it says i cant apply for accommodation until i get the grades for sure :P so does that mean if i do get the grades and end up going to oxford brookes there might not even be a place for me at accommodation??

Oxford brookes can only guarantee accommodation for those who firm the university. if there is space for those who insure then yes u may get but its not certain. this is common practice in many universities.
Reply 28
Original post by Charlottay!
Oxford brookes can only guarantee accommodation for those who firm the university. if there is space for those who insure then yes u may get but its not certain. this is common practice in many universities.

what if im an international student? will that make a difference?
Reply 29
Got my accomodation letter today!!

Clive Booth PG ES
Cheney
Clive Booth ES
Crescent
Westminster
Reply 30
Still haven't got my accomodation letter! i blame living in Cornwall :colonhash: and i firmed them right after results day

No. the allocations will be done at the same time with everyone having a fair chance between the insurance choices. Those who firm r certain to have accom
Reply 32

i wouldn't worry about it too much. Although the accommodation on the website and prospectus is the official oxford brookes accommodation, they also own a lot of student housing so they'll be able to find somewhere alright for you if you aren't successful.
That's what my offer day guide said so i'm remaining hopeful :smile:
Ah! I've still not received my letter (stupid post!), I hope I get it soon :s-smilie: I know Crescent Hall will be on my list, just for cheapness, but I'm not sure about the others yet. Insurance people still apply at the same time, don't they?
Reply 34
Original post by Backchatgirl
Ah! I've still not received my letter (stupid post!), I hope I get it soon :s-smilie: I know Crescent Hall will be on my list, just for cheapness, but I'm not sure about the others yet. Insurance people still apply at the same time, don't they?

yeah we do :smile: although i'm starting to think i should have firmed ob as then i would have a place to stay if i didnt' get the grades i needed for my firm.
Stupid ucas politics
Original post by Guygp
yeah we do :smile: although i'm starting to think i should have firmed ob as then i would have a place to stay if i didnt' get the grades i needed for my firm.
Stupid ucas politics

Haha I know what you mean - they should just start building student tower blocks so they can officially give us all rooms! It also annoys me that there isn't a seperate loan for accommodation, as Oxford Brookes or not, I'm gonna be skint!
Reply 36
Original post by Backchatgirl
Haha I know what you mean - they should just start building student tower blocks so they can officially give us all rooms! It also annoys me that there isn't a seperate loan for accommodation, as Oxford Brookes or not, I'm gonna be skint!

i know! we'll be broke before we've even started uni which is a great thought isn't it!
crazy
Oxford brookes work in partnership with another company who own and run slade park and dorset house. This is where you will find mainly second and third years as well as insurance choice students who were not successful. However this is far more expansive than brookes halls. get used to the cost of living...its oxford.
Reply 38
Haven't recieved my letter yet either, so anyone worrying don't worry, you're not the only one!

Also a little worried about the complete lack of money I'll have. Not even sure if my maintenence loan will cover accomodation! Ridiculous.
Reply 39
Anyone know how and when we find out what accommodation we've actually been given?

Someone else asked.

Do we have to keep checking the PIP constantly, or will we get an email like we did with UCAS that informs us that there has been a change?? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending