The Student Room Group

Most over-rated goal in football history

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Acerbic
It's kinda difficult to judge how hard it is to score something like Beckham's goal if you've never played in a competitive football match. Professional level's got nothing to do with it - goals like that are bloody hard to score in a **** Sunday league, let alone any higher level.

Surely because it is unlikely any of the players will have the ability to actually go and score them, no? All the players that could would most likely be higher in the league system. :holmes:
Reply 41
Quite possible Eric Cantona's chip. It loves absolutely brilliant however, I just don't think that you can put it up there with one of the best goals ever in today's context
Original post by Deshi
Robben has scored a Champions League winning goal with a ridiculously good volley on his weaker foot? Does Robben even have a right foot?

If there's one goal you're going to call overrated, it definitely isn't that.

It was a great dig but ive heard some say its the greatest goal ever. It was a confident attacking player taking a crack from distance. It could have went 30 yards wide aqnd he would have been ridiculed for not bringing it down
Reply 43
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
David Beckham's fortunate hoof against Wimbledon. Why the hell do the media go on about this as some sort of historic moment. It was just a lucky punt FFS.

What do you think is the most over-rated goal in football history? I think Carlos Alberto's goal in 1970 for Brazil is over-rated as well. Barca/Bilbao etc score goals like that every week.

Beckham proved he was capable of doing that later on. Sure, not 100%, but he'd have a significantly better success rate than most players hoofing it from their own half.

Recently, Rooney's overhead. It was good, but for an overhead kick it's wasn't anything special, especially as it came off his shin so we don't actually know where he'd have directed it.

There was also that goal Argentina scored against Serbia+Montenegro two world cups ago (Ian Wright: S&M got whipped). People kept going on about them stringing together 20+ passes, but let's face it, they got 20 passes against a team they were capable of scoring 6 past with no reply, so were just happy that Argentina kept the ball in their own half, which was the case for much of the 'build-up'. Weak opposition, cowed opposition, overawed opposition, it wasn't that impressive.
Reply 44
Original post by Tommyjw
How can a whole sport be over-rated ... ?

Because it is...massively!

Then again, I wouldn't expect a Man Utd fan to understand what overrated means.
Reply 45
Original post by scbond
Because it is...massively!

Then again, I wouldn't expect a Man Utd fan to understand what overrated means.

I think the team banter digs would be better if they actually made sense next time.
Reply 46
Original post by Tommyjw
I think the team banter digs would be better if they actually made sense next time.

It makes perfect sense to those slightly above being completely stupid.
Reply 47
Defo agree with the OP about Becks goal. Can't believe it's on the list of best ever PL goal :lolwut:

Also agree about the overrating of hit and hopes.
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
David Beckham's fortunate hoof against Wimbledon. Why the hell do the media go on about this as some sort of historic moment. It was just a lucky punt FFS.

That reminds me a of funny quote by Richie Wellens, who was in the same Doncaster Rovers squad as Neil Sullivan that won promotion in 2008. "On the way down we watched The Premier League's top 50 goals and Sulli was in goal for 48 of them".

As for the most over rated goal, I'd have to go for all of Javier Hernandez's. Last season United fans were quite literally foaming at the mouth every time he tapped one in.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest