The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jennie1987
Try moneysavingexpert.com theyll have loads of great info either on the main site or forum - they are my money gurus :smile:

I've checked there and it says that you get given forms to claim back from the site you bought the phone contract from but I just wonder if anyone has had any problems with them or if it is really as good as it sounds.
Original post by skunky x
I've checked there and it says that you get given forms to claim back from the site you bought the phone contract from but I just wonder if anyone has had any problems with them or if it is really as good as it sounds.

Did you check the forums for reviews or enter 'cash back form site name/phone contract cash back name review' in google? I do not know anybody whos done this so i think you need a wider audience than the few people on here to be safe and get a variety of stories. Good luck!
not as such 'saving' money but if you get your hands on the new amex rewards card they have some excellent offers to reward you with ... however that being said youve got to spend money to save money in this case ...£1500 gets you a free flight to moscow [or anywhere i nthat airfair region :rolleyes:
Original post by cl_steele
not as such 'saving' money but if you get your hands on the new amex rewards card they have some excellent offers to reward you with ... however that being said youve got to spend money to save money in this case ...£1500 gets you a free flight to moscow [or anywhere i nthat airfair region :rolleyes:

You have to have a certain level of income in order to qualify for that kind of offer - often 15k or more likely 18/21k in order to actually get the rewards or for the saving accounts like it to actually open the account you need that.
You have to have a certain level of income in order to qualify for that kind of offer - often 15k or more likely 18/21k in order to actually get the rewards or for the saving accounts like it to actually open the account you need that.

technically speaking they dont spec ify a minimum level of income persay, its the household income they enquire about. forinstance i just got the gold one with an income of 15k but the household income from siblings, parents ra ra ra is about 60k in total so who knows ... these people are very strange in their selectivity :rolleyes:
but yar in general i agree with you on that and you do need to spend a fair bit to be able to benefit from the rewards schemes but in all i find them a lot more handy than credit cards, keeps my spending in check a lot more and doesnt let you rack up a rolling debt which credit cards do :smile:
Reply 365
So I've got a decision to make regarding accommodation for next year. I can stay on campus with some reasonably amiable aquaintances and pay about £3,400... or I can move into town with some incredibly close friends, find someone to take my room for next year (not hard), pay £350 NOW to cancel my contract for uni accommodation, pay a deposit for a flat in town NOW (around £350-£400) but overall pay around £2,700 + bills (including the deposit) for a flat...

I could afford to pay the £350 now but then I'd have less than £100 in the bank. For the deposit I'm 100% certain I could borrow money off my dad and pay it back after the summer once I've got my student loan in (it's my birthday in about a month so he might be lenient but he would definitely want most of the money back). I've got a part-time job atm (11 hours per week) but chosing the second option would mean I'd have to either up my hours over the summer (dunno if I can) or get a second part-time job (definitely very possible but I'm not 100% certain...). I'd also be renting a flat over the summer and paying about £50 per week for it - but I'm not 100% certain I could get that flat, only about 90% certain. Otherwise it would mean I'd have to get a more expensive flat at about £75-£80 per week and rely on getting more hours or another job.

TSR Money Savings Club, what should I do?
Original post by Lintu93
So I've got a decision to make regarding accommodation for next year. I can stay on campus with some reasonably amiable aquaintances and pay about £3,400... or I can move into town with some incredibly close friends, find someone to take my room for next year (not hard), pay £350 NOW to cancel my contract for uni accommodation, pay a deposit for a flat in town NOW (around £350-£400) but overall pay around £2,700 + bills (including the deposit) for a flat...

I could afford to pay the £350 now but then I'd have less than £100 in the bank. For the deposit I'm 100% certain I could borrow money off my dad and pay it back after the summer once I've got my student loan in (it's my birthday in about a month so he might be lenient but he would definitely want most of the money back). I've got a part-time job atm (11 hours per week) but chosing the second option would mean I'd have to either up my hours over the summer (dunno if I can) or get a second part-time job (definitely very possible but I'm not 100% certain...). I'd also be renting a flat over the summer and paying about £50 per week for it - but I'm not 100% certain I could get that flat, only about 90% certain. Otherwise it would mean I'd have to get a more expensive flat at about £75-£80 per week and rely on getting more hours or another job.

TSR Money Savings Club, what should I do?

I find it hard to believe that the uni make you pay money for accommodation when you haven't used it yet and are going to find someone to take your place - check up on that like with your student advisors.

You can't rely on extra hours or a second job because they're not guaranteed and anyone whose anyone will tell you ppl are always after extra hours and it's always hard to find a job even a second one. So don't forget your coworkers will be competing for extra hours.

I'd forgo the flat over the summer - stay with your parents then have a great time in the town flat with your friends if poss
Reply 367
I find it hard to believe that the uni make you pay money for accommodation when you haven't used it yet and are going to find someone to take your place - check up on that like with your student advisors.

You can't rely on extra hours or a second job because they're not guaranteed and anyone whose anyone will tell you ppl are always after extra hours and it's always hard to find a job even a second one. So don't forget your coworkers will be competing for extra hours.

I'd forgo the flat over the summer - stay with your parents then have a great time in the town flat with your friends if poss

It's true. I've emailed all the accommodation people and it turns out I'm in legally binding contract so I have to pay a 28 day cancellation fee (whatever that is) and a release fee, which totals at around £350. Gutting :frown:

I know it might be difficult to get a job, but students make up a very sizeable percentage of the town I'm in, and I know a lot of them (including a fair few coworkers) will be going home over the summer and leaving their jobs. I'm also hesitant about going home because that'd mean leaving my job with no guarantee of getting it back in September. I also don't think there are many jobs at home - there aren't any universities near where I live so there won't be any students going home and leaving their jobs over the summer, only a big influx of students coming home and seeking employment.

Ah it's such a conundrum because I know living in town in cheaper overall but I'd need to borrow money off my dad and I would have to pay it back...

Thanks for your advice though :smile:
Original post by Lintu93
It's true. I've emailed all the accommodation people and it turns out I'm in legally binding contract so I have to pay a 28 day cancellation fee (whatever that is) and a release fee, which totals at around £350. Gutting :frown:

I know it might be difficult to get a job, but students make up a very sizeable percentage of the town I'm in, and I know a lot of them (including a fair few coworkers) will be going home over the summer and leaving their jobs. I'm also hesitant about going home because that'd mean leaving my job with no guarantee of getting it back in September. I also don't think there are many jobs at home - there aren't any universities near where I live so there won't be any students going home and leaving their jobs over the summer, only a big influx of students coming home and seeking employment.

Ah it's such a conundrum because I know living in town in cheaper overall but I'd need to borrow money off my dad and I would have to pay it back...

Thanks for your advice though :smile:

Then what you need to do is simply put it all out for your dad and he'll make your decision - you can want everything but you may only have one or two real options.
Had another job interview today. Think it went well, but only time will tell. I have another one a week tomorrow, which is for a job in the NHS, which is 14 grand a year. Hope to christ I get it, as that would help the savings out BIG TIME. I shall knuckle down and do some serious interview preparation.

How is everyone else getting on?
Another shift down, another 50 quid in the bank...
So no luck with job hunting but after some consoling I am going strong. After exams going to sayi can immediately start :yep: hopefully the money will come in! :yes:
Original post by cpdavis
So no luck with job hunting but after some consoling I am going strong. After exams going to sayi can immediately start :yep: hopefully the money will come in! :yes:

May the force be with you my son. Perseverance and hard work will see you through as it did me. Onwards and upwards.
Made my first splurge today in a very long time. I felt guilty, but not too guilty because it was such a good deal! I got a 'grab bag' which is 12 burts bees products . I then got a citrus scrub, and a lip balm. I found a 20% off code, so altogether it comes to £27 and free delivery :smile:

Savings are stagnant at £3200. In a couple of days my exams start which I'm terrified for. But hopefully I'll be okay with some determination! I finish on the 23rd May, we find out when my dads brain surgery will be on the 8th May, and when my mums replacement jaw surgery will be on the 22nd May, and uni doesn't start back until September, and I get my rearranged hospital appointment soon, so hopefully, when I get all these dates together, I can go look for a small job and work around these dates, (if someone is kind).

I'm also considering investing £100 in shares in RBS. Each share is at around 24pence. Its only low at the moment because its been bailed out, we are in a recession etc. But in 5-10 years I should hope they would be much higher than that, the government would never let it fail. Thoughts?

Hope everyones savings are going well.
Original post by insignificant
Made my first splurge today in a very long time. I felt guilty, but not too guilty because it was such a good deal! I got a 'grab bag' which is 12 burts bees products . I then got a citrus scrub, and a lip balm. I found a 20% off code, so altogether it comes to £27 and free delivery :smile:

Savings are stagnant at £3200. In a couple of days my exams start which I'm terrified for. But hopefully I'll be okay with some determination! I finish on the 23rd May, we find out when my dads brain surgery will be on the 8th May, and when my mums replacement jaw surgery will be on the 22nd May, and uni doesn't start back until September, and I get my rearranged hospital appointment soon, so hopefully, when I get all these dates together, I can go look for a small job and work around these dates, (if someone is kind).

I'm also considering investing £100 in shares in RBS. Each share is at around 24pence. Its only low at the moment because its been bailed out, we are in a recession etc. But in 5-10 years I should hope they would be much higher than that, the government would never let it fail. Thoughts?

Wow that's a really good amount saved up! Hope everything goes well with the surgery! And my opinion, I wouldn't suggest buying shares, because I think it's a risky business; but that isn't my area of expertise, I guess :smile:
Original post by insignificant

£3200 is a really good amount of money to have saved up, well done :smile:. Sounds like you're going through a lot, I hope you get through it and get the job you want. Best of luck! :smile:
Two big job interviews this week. Tres nervous :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
One job interview down earlier today. Didn't think it went that well, but I have another interview tomorrow, and that's for the job that I really want, so fingers crossed!

How's everyone else getting on?
Reply 378
Not neccesarily saving, but what me and one of my older brothers have taken to doing is buying broken down cars off of ebay that are going to cost more to repair than they're worth and stripping them for parts. Most of it goes into savings and i've got a cool £2000+ after about 7 cars :biggrin:
Have exactly £1000 in both of my accounts. However, one is a savings and the other is my daily. Not giving up on job hunting so that way I have more money coming into my account. :smile:

Quick Reply