The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by dragon_knight
hi there! welcome to this forum! let me answer some of your questions:

1. according to http://www.asa.hku.hk/admission/nonjupas-uer.htm , or students holding singapore GCE A levels,
"Grade E or above in seven subjects in the first and/or second attempt in the GCE O-level examination, of which:
six subjects shall be obtained at one and the same time;
one shall be English Language at grade C or above;
one shall be Mathematics; and
one shall be a language other than English (e.g. German, French), or if Chinese/Mandarin is offered as a language other than English, grade E or above in GCE Advanced Level H1 Chinese is required; and
Grade E or above in two subjects at H2 level and one subject at H1 level (other than Chinese/Mandarin), or the equivalent in GCE A-Level examination. "

obviously achieveing that requirement grade is totally insufficient to secure a place for HKU medicine. u must, however, meet the above requirements in order to be considered by the university. i think they treat singapore GCE as the same as UK GCE (although singapore one is much tougher). since u are treated as a gap year student, u should have some A* in order to make your application competitive.

2. no your don't. faculty of medicine will help u to choose if u are offered a place. beware, HKU medicine is a 5 YEAR OR 6 YEAR program instead of 3year or 4year. if u are competitive enough, they will offer u a 5 year place. if they want to admit u into HKU but your grades are slightly not competitive as other students, they may allocate u into the 6 year program.

3. your second choice will only be considered after your first choice is rejected. that is, BDS will only receive your application information after MBBS rejects u. this is quite unfair to ppl who are rejected late as this means less time is give for 2nd choice program to read your profile. but well... this is life :frown:

hope this helps :biggrin:
dragon knight

For no.3, are you sure second choice will only be considered after the first choice is rejected? I heard someone got an offer of the 2nd choice but the first choice is considered..... If the case is just like you have mentioned, it would be somehow weird. For a hypothetical example, a student got 5A* and first choice is medicine, but second choice is chemistry. After consideration by the faculty, this student is rejected in August due to poor interview performance. Then how about chemistry, accept him or not if the program is full already? Sorry for my question....
Original post by annababy
For no.3, are you sure second choice will only be considered after the first choice is rejected? I heard someone got an offer of the 2nd choice but the first choice is considered..... If the case is just like you have mentioned, it would be somehow weird. For a hypothetical example, a student got 5A* and first choice is medicine, but second choice is chemistry. After consideration by the faculty, this student is rejected in August due to poor interview performance. Then how about chemistry, accept him or not if the program is full already? Sorry for my question....

no problem your question is constructive :smile:

sorry but i need to clarify something. i think i was wrong on the point that "the 2nd choice program will read your application only after u are rejected by 1st choice". what i meant was even the 2nd choice program wants to admit u, your 1st choice must reject u in order to be considered by 2nd choice.

that is, in your example, only after MBBS reject the 5A* student shall the student receive an offer from chemistry. however, in the earlier case, the new member's second choice is BDS. as we know, u wont be given an offer from BDS without being interviewed (same as MBBS). therefore, if u are rejected by MBBS in late august after your GCE results are issued, then there is very little time left for BDS to consider your application. even though BDS may find your application appealing and competitive, they may not offer u an interview chance simply because the time was not enough.

in your example, chemistry may give the 5A* student an offer since chemistry does not require interview ( NOTE i think u meant bacehlor of science (BSc) since u shall only major chemistry after first year studying BSc. there's no individual degree of "bachelor of chemistry" in HKU)

hope this makes it a bit clear :biggrin:
Reply 782
Original post by Anorpa
Has anyone applied to cuhk for undergraduate programme?

Undergraduate for law and cuhk gave me a conditional offer.

Has anyone still not heard from hku?
Reply 783
Hey thank you for your reply. Yeah I got my offer in March for hku engineering and today from cuhk. I heard Law is too competitive in hku so they might take some time.Best of Luck
(edited 11 years ago)
hope this makes it a bit clear :biggrin:

Hi I'm new :smile:
I'm from Australia and applying to HKU this year.(Non-jupas, dual nationality)
My (mad) preferences are
1.MBBS
2.BDS
3.LLB
:colondollar:...

no problem your question is constructive :smile:

sorry but i need to clarify something. i think i was wrong on the point that "the 2nd choice program will read your application only after u are rejected by 1st choice". what i meant was even the 2nd choice program wants to admit u, your 1st choice must reject u in order to be considered by 2nd choice.

that is, in your example, only after MBBS reject the 5A* student shall the student receive an offer from chemistry. however, in the earlier case, the new member's second choice is BDS. as we know, u wont be given an offer from BDS without being interviewed (same as MBBS). therefore, if u are rejected by MBBS in late august after your GCE results are issued, then there is very little time left for BDS to consider your application. even though BDS may find your application appealing and competitive, they may not offer u an interview chance simply because the time was not enough.

in your example, chemistry may give the 5A* student an offer since chemistry does not require interview ( NOTE i think u meant bacehlor of science (BSc) since u shall only major chemistry after first year studying BSc. there's no individual degree of "bachelor of chemistry" in HKU)

I was wondering, since I unsuccessful in my BDS application, but my MBBS application is "still under consideration" does that mean I have actually been rejected for MBBS already?
Reply 785
Original post by aurora667788

My (mad) preferences are
1.MBBS
2.BDS
3.LLB

I was wondering, since I unsuccessful in my BDS application, but my MBBS application is "still under consideration" does that mean I have actually been rejected for MBBS already?

I would like to ask you one thing. Is your BDS application status is changed into "unsuccessful" ?? Since I put it in the 1st choice but I neither got an interview or rejection, I would like to know whether the online system are working. Thank you very much!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 786
Hello again,
Yesterday I received an offer from the Business college of the City University of Hong Kong. Now I have to consider between CityU, PolyU and HKUST. I would like to know which from CityU and PolyU is better in the sphere of business, economics and finance ?
Thank you !!!
Reply 787
Guys, I'm in a dilemma in choosing between hku/warwick/imperial. HKU offered me Bachelor of science 4 years course with full scholarship, Imperial offered me Mathematics with statistics in finance 3 yrs, warwick offered me MMORSE 4 yrs. The thing that really bugs me is if I study 4 years in HKU, I am still an undergraduate degree holder while for warwick, i'm a master graduate. same goes for imperial as i can study master in any university in my 4th year.

It's a really hard decision. Is it worth to take the full scholarship from HKU and study another year in undergraduate but letting go the fact that imperial or warwick are of better quality than HKU(for mathematics) and also the fact that I can study master in my 4th year if i choose warwick/imperial????

Please help me guys. :frown: :frown:

My (mad) preferences are
1.MBBS
2.BDS
3.LLB

... not sure about this but the typical practice of HKU is to give out offers / rejections step by step.
Reply 789
... not sure about this but the typical practice of HKU is to give out offers / rejections step by step.

I would like to ask you that what is your source of information. Since I also heard many cases that 2nd and 3rd choice is rejected but 1st choice is being considered. For an extreme case, MBBS is put in 3rd choice but the first 2 choice is still under considered, it is a bit weird that it is still be under consideration since MBBS must be put in 1st choice in order to be considered. From my point of view, both 3 choices are considered simultaneously by their respective faculty. The aim of dividing 3 choices is to see whether the applicant have enough sincerity to that program. If a program is put at 1st choice, it means the applicant have much sincerity to the program. Since many program start to give out interviews and offers at different time, if your theory is correct, it is very inconvenient if the 1st choice program is still be under consideration until late August.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by glgan1
Guys, I'm in a dilemma in choosing between hku/warwick/imperial. HKU offered me Bachelor of science 4 years course with full scholarship, Imperial offered me Mathematics with statistics in finance 3 yrs, warwick offered me MMORSE 4 yrs. The thing that really bugs me is if I study 4 years in HKU, I am still an undergraduate degree holder while for warwick, i'm a master graduate. same goes for imperial as i can study master in any university in my 4th year.

It's a really hard decision. Is it worth to take the full scholarship from HKU and study another year in undergraduate but letting go the fact that imperial or warwick are of better quality than HKU(for mathematics) and also the fact that I can study master in my 4th year if i choose warwick/imperial????

Please help me guys. :frown: :frown:

Well which uni do you prefer and which course? Its true that you can do an undergrad an masters in 4 years here in the UK but if you feel you like HKU more then really one year is not a huge difference (you may disagree).
Personally i would go for Imperial (or Warwick) even though you will graduate with a student debt. But that's my opinion.
Reply 791
Original post by 21Grapes
Well which uni do you prefer and which course? Its true that you can do an undergrad an masters in 4 years here in the UK but if you feel you like HKU more then really one year is not a huge difference (you may disagree).
Personally i would go for Imperial (or Warwick) even though you will graduate with a student debt. But that's my opinion.

To be honest, I prefer Imperial or warwick as the quality of education(in mathematics) is better than HKU. I was supposed to enter uni last year but was concerned about the amount of money if I study in warwick, so I decided to take a gap year to gain some working experience by the same time apply for HKU(quantitative finance) with a hope to get a full scholarship for it. But what I got was Bachelor of Science(which is my second choice) with a full scholarship, 4 years course. Although I have always wanted to get a scholarship, my parents still can afford to fund my studies in UK. So it's a really hard decision for me to make. :frown:
Original post by glgan1
To be honest, I prefer Imperial or warwick as the quality of education(in mathematics) is better than HKU. I was supposed to enter uni last year but was concerned about the amount of money if I study in warwick, so I decided to take a gap year to gain some working experience by the same time apply for HKU(quantitative finance) with a hope to get a full scholarship for it. But what I got was Bachelor of Science(which is my second choice) with a full scholarship, 4 years course. Although I have always wanted to get a scholarship, my parents still can afford to fund my studies in UK. So it's a really hard decision for me to make. :frown:

If that is the case then go to study in the UK! If you can get help from your parents there is no reason to force yourself to go to HKU (even though its a very good uni) to do a course you didnt want, for the fact you have a scholarship.
Im not posting on here to deter people from HK, dont get me wrong :')
Reply 793
Original post by 21Grapes
If that is the case then go to study in the UK! If you can get help from your parents there is no reason to force yourself to go to HKU (even though its a very good uni) to do a course you didnt want, for the fact you have a scholarship.
Im not posting on here to deter people from HK, dont get me wrong :')

Thanks for your reply. :smile: I guess I am going to choose to study in UK because there is no point in forcing myself to study something I don't like even with a full scholarship. Between Imperial and Warwick, to be frank I prefer Imperial but the cost is...well really damn high. Tuition fee for Imperial would be £22,500 per year and a 3 years course would be £67,500. From ICL website the living expenses and everything would cost £10,530 per yr and 3 years would be £31,590. In total I will need £99,090!! Really large amount of money for international students like me. :frown: For warwick, the tuition fee is £13,800 per yr so 3 years would be £41,400. Living expenses etc. would be £10,000 per yr so 3 yrs £30,000. In total, warwick would be around £71,400. Sorry for being calculative :biggrin: Do you have any exact data of living costs for an international student studying in imperial?
I would like to ask you that what is your source of information. Since I also heard many cases that 2nd and 3rd choice is rejected but 1st choice is being considered. For an extreme case, MBBS is put in 3rd choice but the first 2 choice is still under considered, it is a bit weird that it is still be under consideration since MBBS must be put in 1st choice in order to be considered. From my point of view, both 3 choices are considered simultaneously by their respective faculty. The aim of dividing 3 choices is to see whether the applicant have enough sincerity to that program. If a program is put at 1st choice, it means the applicant have much sincerity to the program. Since many program start to give out interviews and offers at different time, if your theory is correct, it is very inconvenient if the 1st choice program is still be under consideration until late August.

rightright please calm down. no offense to launch a debate but a discussion would be most appropriate on this topic.

there is no official source and it is based on past experiences (of course not only me!). the conclusion is not flawless but it is the up-till-know most likely to be the right model. as for why 1st choice is under consideration while 2nd and 3rd are rejected, the only explanation i could give is that there are specific requirements that the applicant could not fulfill in order to be considered by 2nd and 3rd program, and this is alreaedy been blocked by the HKU admission office.

hypothetically, a person's 1st choice is LLB, 2nd choice is MBBS, 3rd choice is BDS. the person did not take chemistry ( very unlikely with this program combination but let's say it's just an example). as the entrance requirement of MBBS and BDS is the applicant must take chemistry, the applicant is rejected right away by the HKU admission office, and the application is not even been read by the faculty admission office. this example is only hypothetical!

i didn't say that the model proposed is totally correct. yours might be also correct since basically no one know how the application system in HKU works. it is not MY THEORY because it is only a model. and of course it's not MINE. sadly, for those who are rejected in august, there are very unlucky and that was what many ppl experienced.

a friend of mine who applied for HKU last year. he got several A* in GCE and was invited for interview in late august for MBBS. however he was not successful. his 2nd choice was BSc and a day after the rejection from MBBS, Bsc also rejected him without interview. basically, with several A* in GCE, it is more than enough for being admitted into faculty of science. he was, however, unsuccessful in gaining a place in HKU simply because BSc is already full and is unable to provide places for him. this is a sad story for him but anyway, this is life :frown:

in terms of sincerity, that is questioned by the universities when students apply via JUPAS scheme. the JUPAS scheme is very complicated but yeah, i don't think non-JUPAS scheme questions applicants on their sincerity. or else, non-JUPAS applicants would not be allowed to apply for all universities in HK and get offers from other unis.
Reply 795
rightright please calm down. no offense to launch a debate but a discussion would be most appropriate on this topic.

there is no official source and it is based on past experiences (of course not only me!). the conclusion is not flawless but it is the up-till-know most likely to be the right model. as for why 1st choice is under consideration while 2nd and 3rd are rejected, the only explanation i could give is that there are specific requirements that the applicant could not fulfill in order to be considered by 2nd and 3rd program, and this is alreaedy been blocked by the HKU admission office.

hypothetically, a person's 1st choice is LLB, 2nd choice is MBBS, 3rd choice is BDS. the person did not take chemistry ( very unlikely with this program combination but let's say it's just an example). as the entrance requirement of MBBS and BDS is the applicant must take chemistry, the applicant is rejected right away by the HKU admission office, and the application is not even been read by the faculty admission office. this example is only hypothetical!

i didn't say that the model proposed is totally correct. yours might be also correct since basically no one know how the application system in HKU works. it is not MY THEORY because it is only a model. and of course it's not MINE. sadly, for those who are rejected in august, there are very unlucky and that was what many ppl experienced.

a friend of mine who applied for HKU last year. he got several A* in GCE and was invited for interview in late august for MBBS. however he was not successful. his 2nd choice was BSc and a day after the rejection from MBBS, Bsc also rejected him without interview. basically, with several A* in GCE, it is more than enough for being admitted into faculty of science. he was, however, unsuccessful in gaining a place in HKU simply because BSc is already full and is unable to provide places for him. this is a sad story for him but anyway, this is life :frown:

in terms of sincerity, that is questioned by the universities when students apply via JUPAS scheme. the JUPAS scheme is very complicated but yeah, i don't think non-JUPAS scheme questions applicants on their sincerity. or else, non-JUPAS applicants would not be allowed to apply for all universities in HK and get offers from other unis.

I am so sorry:colondollar: I am not launching a debate:tongue:~ I think my English is not very good so that my sentences seems so impolite:adore:... I just want to share the experiences from my friends. I hope you would not be scared by me:blush:
It is not abnormal that your first 3 choices are considered simultaneously. Usually what happens is your application will be sent to the three departments and they will make respective offers independently, but you are bind to turn down the 1st offer in order to accept the 2nd, or 1st and 2nd in order to accept 3rd.
As a toy example, say your 2nd choice really likes you after the interview, then they will extend an offer to you. In their offer letter, it is not uncommon for them to say something like "we would like to have you in our program" - meaning they acknowledge the fact that their program is not your 1st choice but they are giving you "gestures" that they really want you to pick theirs as your final decision.
Original post by glgan1
Thanks for your reply. :smile: I guess I am going to choose to study in UK because there is no point in forcing myself to study something I don't like even with a full scholarship. Between Imperial and Warwick, to be frank I prefer Imperial but the cost is...well really damn high. Tuition fee for Imperial would be £22,500 per year and a 3 years course would be £67,500. From ICL website the living expenses and everything would cost £10,530 per yr and 3 years would be £31,590. In total I will need £99,090!! Really large amount of money for international students like me. :frown: For warwick, the tuition fee is £13,800 per yr so 3 years would be £41,400. Living expenses etc. would be £10,000 per yr so 3 yrs £30,000. In total, warwick would be around £71,400. Sorry for being calculative :biggrin: Do you have any exact data of living costs for an international student studying in imperial?

I will PM you instead of discussing it here.
I would like to ask you one thing. Is your BDS application status is changed into "unsuccessful" ?? Since I put it in the 1st choice but I neither got an interview or rejection, I would like to know whether the online system are working. Thank you very much!!

Yes it did :smile:
Reply 799
Yes it did :smile:

Thank you for your answer:smile:

Quick Reply