The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A Unit 5 - Nuclear and thermal physics

Simple(ish) question - does anyone know what's going on past-paper-wise?

Aside from the optional topics, the only paper I can find for this unit at all is the first one: June 2010. And I can't find the mark scheme for this, which makes the paper itself virtually useless. Have no other papers or mark schemes actually been published? I can't find any *anywhere*, and I don't really know what to do about it. It's very difficult to prepare for an exam with no resources at all.

Information on this is really what I'm after, but I would absolutely love if someone had access to all past papers and mark schemes and could post them! If they aren't being published, does anyone have tips on how to revise for this exam without the materials? Simply knowing and understanding the entire specification and Nelson Thornes textbook doesn't seem to be enough for AQA examiners :tongue:

Thanks a bunch :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Implication
Simple(ish) question - does anyone know what's going on past-paper-wise?

Aside from the optional topics, the only paper I can find for this unit at all is the first one: June 2010. And I can't find the mark scheme for this, which makes the paper itself virtually useless. Have no other papers or mark schemes actually been published? I can't find any *anywhere*, and I don't really know what to do about it. It's very difficult to prepare for an exam with no resources at all.

Information on this is really what I'm after, but I would absolutely love if someone had access to all past papers and mark schemes and could post them! If they aren't being published, does anyone have tips on how to revise for this exam without the materials? Simply knowing and understanding the entire specification and Nelson Thornes textbook doesn't seem to be enough for AQA examiners :tongue:

Thanks a bunch :smile:

PM me with your email address and I'll send the mark scheme to you.
Reply 2
Original post by SBarns
PM me with your email address and I'll send the mark scheme to you.

Do you have the mark schemes for just the one unit 5 paper or several - and please would you be prepared to email me the mark schemes if I PM you my email? Thanks in advance.
Reply 3
Original post by hapbuk
Do you have the mark schemes for just the one unit 5 paper or several - and please would you be prepared to email me the mark schemes if I PM you my email? Thanks in advance.

I have all the papers and mark schemes for all the AS/A2 units from 2000-2007 (the old spec) and 2008-2010 (the new spec). Of course, just PM me your email address and tell me which ones you want and I'll send them over.
Reply 4
is there a unit 5 paper for january?
Reply 5
Original post by rainbow1994
is there a unit 5 paper for january?

No, there is only a summer entry for PHY5.
Reply 6
How are we all finding this? Much better than unit 4 IMO.

Quick question about the binding energy graph, is there a specific value where it should peak?
Reply 7
Original post by SBarns
I have all the papers and mark schemes for all the AS/A2 units from 2000-2007 (the old spec) and 2008-2010 (the new spec). Of course, just PM me your email address and tell me which ones you want and I'll send them over.

Hi, i was also wondering if you could send the past papers and mark schemes over to me? have been searching the internet for ages trying to find them!
Reply 8
Original post by don'tTRIP.
How are we all finding this? Much better than unit 4 IMO.

Quick question about the binding energy graph, is there a specific value where it should peak?

I actually prefer Unit 4, but that's because our option unit (astrophysics) bores me to death.

Well, the actual value is 8.79 MeV for Iron (56 Nucleons) - but as long as it's roughly correct you won't be penalised.
Reply 9
Original post by scott789
Hi, i was also wondering if you could send the past papers and mark schemes over to me? have been searching the internet for ages trying to find them!

Please see this link.
Reply 10
I'm stuck on what we actually need to know for Binding Energy, is there values that I need to have memorised for this question:

Calculate the energy released when this Uranium 235 isotope nucleus emits an alpha particle.

The mark scheme seems to pluck values like 238.05076u out of thin air, are we meant to know this?

(this is a 2000-2007 spec question, just incase the syllabus is different now)

thanks!

Edit: I understand the method, its just the values that are confusing me right now!
Reply 11
Original post by Benniboi1
I'm stuck on what we actually need to know for Binding Energy, is there values that I need to have memorised for this question:

Calculate the energy released when this Uranium 235 isotope nucleus emits an alpha particle.

The mark scheme seems to pluck values like 238.05076u out of thin air, are we meant to know this?

(this is a 2000-2007 spec question, just incase the syllabus is different now)

thanks!

Edit: I understand the method, its just the values that are confusing me right now!

We aren't expected to learn any values like that, the specification makes absolutely no mention of it. However, we are expected to be able to calculate them with (relative) ease - with use of the data sheet and the particular isotope they give you in the question. (Using the rest mass of a proton and a neutron and the number of protons and nucleons in the particular element).

As a side note, the syllabus was very slightly different pre-2008, but it was just the spread of the content that was different, not the actual content itself, so the pre-2008 past papers are still suitable to use as past paper practice.
Reply 12
Original post by SBarns
We aren't expected to learn any values like that, the specification makes absolutely no mention of it. However, we are expected to be able to calculate them with (relative) ease - with use of the data sheet and the particular isotope they give you in the question. (Using the rest mass of a proton and a neutron and the number of protons and nucleons in the particular element).

As a side note, the syllabus was very slightly different pre-2008, but it was just the spread of the content that was different, not the actual content itself, so the pre-2008 past papers are still suitable to use as past paper practice.

Ahh ok, that's really helpful cheers! I've been wondering for ages, thanks for the past papers you've uploaded as well!
Reply 13
Ahh ok, that's really helpful cheers! I've been wondering for ages, thanks for the past papers you've uploaded as well!

No problem, glad I could help. Which option unit do you study then?
Reply 14
Original post by SBarns
No problem, glad I could help. Which option unit do you study then?

Turning points in Physics, I actually really like it :biggrin: just trying to get through all the old past papers now in the hope that I'll feel confident in a few weeks time, what about yourself?
Reply 15
Turning points in Physics, I actually really like it :biggrin: just trying to get through all the old past papers now in the hope that I'll feel confident in a few weeks time, what about yourself?

Oh our school usually does turning points, but we all agreed this year that we would try astrophysics, but it's so boring, turning points looks good with all the special relativity, we just have stars and more stars. Yeah I'm going to start past papers next week, I didn't want to start too early. How are you finding Unit 4? Most of it's okay, it's just some of the multiple choice questions that can be really stupid...
Reply 16
Original post by SBarns
Oh our school usually does turning points, but we all agreed this year that we would try astrophysics, but it's so boring, turning points looks good with all the special relativity, we just have stars and more stars. Yeah I'm going to start past papers next week, I didn't want to start too early. How are you finding Unit 4? Most of it's okay, it's just some of the multiple choice questions that can be really stupid...

Turning points is good and interesting, but it feels like it's a lot of work and a few people in my class just feel confused by some of the Special Relativity bits. I wouldn't have minded Astrophysics, I just wanted to avoid Medical Physics at all costs, it felt like that's all we did at GCSE!

I did Unit 4 in January, there's quite a lot of people in my sixth form that will end up doing resits so they try and make everyone do a few exams in January just incase. I hated the multiple choice questions, they lull you into a false sense of security and you think they're really easy but you've forgotten about something :tongue: Got 101 Ums in the end :smile: do you do all your exams in the summer?
Turning points is good and interesting, but it feels like it's a lot of work and a few people in my class just feel confused by some of the Special Relativity bits. I wouldn't have minded Astrophysics, I just wanted to avoid Medical Physics at all costs, it felt like that's all we did at GCSE!

sorry to interject lol turning points is a really awesome module :smile: Phys5 is my favourite physics module by far. I'm only in a class of 4 who are all really into physics so we're not having many issues with the content.

(also for anyone doing turning points I have all the nelson thornes notes on PDF if you would like them :smile:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18

I did Unit 4 in January, there's quite a lot of people in my sixth form that will end up doing resits so they try and make everyone do a few exams in January just incase. I hated the multiple choice questions, they lull you into a false sense of security and you think they're really easy but you've forgotten about something :tongue: Got 101 Ums in the end :smile: do you do all your exams in the summer?

Yeah, medical physics was a definite no no, it looks even more boring than astrophysics. Applied physics looks pretty interesting, but our teacher says it's much more difficult than the others.

Yeah I did some maths exams in January, but I'm doing both Unit 4 and Unit 5 in June. Yeah they're really silly in the way they are worded, and they make you doubt yourself after you're convinced you've got the correct answer. That's good, I only need an A so I'd be happy with that. You off to university in September I assume?

Original post by wasting-time
sorry to interject lol turning points is a really awesome module :smile: Phys5 is my favourite physics module by far. I'm only in a class of 4 who are all really into physics so we're not having many issues with the content.

(also for anyone doing turning points I have all the nelson thornes notes on PDF if you would like them :smile:)

Stop bragging about turning points! I am stuck with stars and black holes and many other things that bore me to death :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by SBarns
Yeah, medical physics was a definite no no, it looks even more boring than astrophysics. Applied physics looks pretty interesting, but our teacher says it's much more difficult than the others.

Yeah I did some maths exams in January, but I'm doing both Unit 4 and Unit 5 in June. Yeah they're really silly in the way they are worded, and they make you doubt yourself after you're convinced you've got the correct answer. That's good, I only need an A so I'd be happy with that. You off to university in September I assume?

I think I remember my Physics teacher saying that actually, he likes sort of 'Pure' Physics, so the one he enjoys the most is Turning Points which is the only reason he wants to teach it :tongue: I am, to study Physics actually - at Warwick, as long as I get 3A's :smile: yourself? Seeing as you do Maths and Physics I'm guessing its one of the two!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending