The Student Room Group

Scariest films you have ever seen?

Scroll to see replies

Drag me to Hell. It had me jumping all over the place when I saw it at the cinema.

The least scary film I've ever watched has to be Paranormal Activity. I nearly fell asleep watching it.
I find silent hill scary.
Paranormal activity's the only one that's remotely scary, since it takes place in a believable setting and one I can relate to. I am not scared by anything set over 30 years ago, partly because if it was made back then it will have awful special effects, and partly because I just end up laughing at most of it.
Serbian film...i'm not even sure why I watched it in all honesty.
Dead Silence = I cant even...
Misery......that woman D:

Human centipede...are you joking?...it was hilarious :L
Original post by Philbert
Are you talking about the Groke? I can't post pictures atm, but that sh*t gave me nightmares for weeks.

To a lesser degree, yeah, but was mostly thinking about Hattifatteners.

Original post by Copperknickers
Paranormal activity's the only one that's remotely scary, since it takes place in a believable setting and one I can relate to. I am not scared by anything set over 30 years ago, partly because if it was made back then it will have awful special effects, and partly because I just end up laughing at most of it.

Me and my GF at the time, who scares easily, both found Paranormal Activity funny. It's not remotely scary. It's the kinda 'horror' film that gets over hyped by the general film going public and that's about it.

And given your statement regarding special effects, your opinion is basically objectively wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've never jumped as much as when I watched The Strangers. :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by MancBoy
I would go with...

Rosemary's Baby (especially the last 15 mins)
The Shining (Jack Nicholson...enough said)
Rec (The last bit was freaky deaky!)
Misery (crazy, scary lady!)

There is more but I cant think of any. What are yours?

Rec was a good'un. The sequel was a let down though - got quite predictable. Have you seen the third?

Insidious wasn't particularly scary as a whole, but it does have a few jumpy parts. This one still gets me once in a while.

Reply 27
Rosemary's Baby - the best AND scariest film I've seen.
the strangers was shocking
Original post by Dukekaki
I was told "The Exorcist" was a scary film....... and my mother particularly said the head-spinning part was most scary, but I laughed out during that part of the movie.

Agreed, I laughed through pretty much the whole film APART from the spider walk down the stairs. Seriously freaky **** right there, that moment's still with me.

Last 10 mins of REC is very intense.
The Simpsons Tree House Of Horror **** on Sky1. Gets me well shook at times.
Insidious absolutely terrified me mainly because the kid gets haunted when sleeping.
The exorcist was pretty scary.
The Ring was pretty scary as well.

I'm quite the scaredy cat at movies :P
The Exorcist.

After being desensitised by gratuitous gorno-style horror, 'The Exorcist' remains the only film that has the ability to phase me these days.
(edited 11 years ago)
The Lion King. Definately.
I mean, a telking meerkat? How ridiculous is that?

aleksandr%20meerkat.jpg
It's probably pathetic but I still can't get through the Grudge films,despite knowing exactly whats in them.The Serbian Film freaked me out a lot.I saw http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384806/ when I was 15 and it really scared me,especially as it is based on truth and the house still exists in America.And the whole 'catch em kill em' mantra was stuck in my head for ages afterwards.Not especially great late at night when your brain seems to be unable to do anything but replay those scenes.I haven't seen the Ring but apparently it's of a similar vein to the Grudge.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
When I was 5 (all thanks to my then teenaged uncle) I sat through about half an hour of the original "Nightmare on Elm Street." I slept in my parents bed for years afterwards!
Misery. That woman is frightening.

As for the hype over the Exorcist, what a load of bull. I just don't see it myself, not scary at all. Slashers don't bother me either, I find the psychological/ supernatural things more creepy.
Reply 37
Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Agreed, I laughed through pretty much the whole film APART from the spider walk down the stairs. Seriously freaky **** right there, that moment's still with me.

Last 10 mins of REC is very intense.

Oh yes! That part was scary! Like I said, the effects are laughable but certain points are pretty scary...

I watched Poltergeist too. The only thing scary was the girl herself and her pout!

Also, Drag Me To Hell was hilarious! I watched it with my family at the cinema and I literally lmao-ed in the theater and everybody else didn't know whether to laugh at the movie or at me! xD

Zombie films doesn't creep me out either. But I like Dawn of Dead. That kind of survival film is the best. Oh, and people say movies like Paranormal Activity or (that one with the similar style about alien invasion??? I can't seem to remember the name!) makes you puke but when I watch'em I felt like I was watching a documentary film gone bad............ in fact they're more fun.
Reply 38
I wet the bed the night I saw Jaws for the first time. I was 9. :colondollar:

Pretty convinced it's one of the founding reasons I have serious thalassophobia.
Original post by concubine

Me and my GF at the time, who scares easily, both found Paranormal Activity funny. It's not remotely scary. It's the kinda 'horror' film that gets over hyped by the general film going public and that's about it.

I found it scary. Fear is like humour, different for every person. I love spiders, snakes, bats, heights, gore, Japanese folk stories, all the things that most people are scared of: I found the Grudge too foreign to be scary, Japan is millions of miles away from me and I just can't relate to it, it might as well be an alien planet. But a suburban modern house in a city where I've been many times, with relateable people, and simple special effects that leave the worst parts to your imagination, is pretty scary, for me. Maybe you are just not as imaginative, or find it hard to put yourself in others' positions. Or, more likely, you had just worked your way into a kind of hysteria: I found PA really scary the first time, but I laughed the whole way through it when I watched it in daytime with a friend. But I guarantee you, watch it on your own in your bedroom at night, and you will defecate bricks.

And given your statement regarding special effects, your opinion is basically objectively wrong.

Haha, right. Well put it this way: if there is a pre-1980 horror film that does not have utterly laughable special effects, I haven't seen it yet. Please reccommend me one.

Quick Reply