The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

lord of the rings and star wars
Reply 321
I agree with nearly all of 'em - The Godfather was fun, and Groundhog Day has provided a term in modern English. I agree with Avatar being on your list - I thought it was totally crap. I fell asleep during LOTR 2, one of only two movies I've fallen asleep while watching, the other being Lemon Popsickle.

The rest? I agree totally.
Reply 322
Maybe a bit early to call it, but Avengers Assemble. It was decent (boring for a long time I thought but it's brilliant at the end) but 26th on IMDB? I really don't see it.
LOL at the number of people saying Twilight on here. It's not overrated - it's barely even rated at all.
Original post by Mufasaa
Maybe a bit early to call it, but Avengers Assemble. It was decent (boring for a long time I thought but it's brilliant at the end) but 26th on IMDB? I really don't see it.

In terms of early reactions yes, it seems slightly overrated - I watched it, thought it was pretty great entertainment, but was somehow not as wowed as the reviews said I'd be. LOL. I mean, there were a few great (fantastic, even) scenes and quite a bit of humour, but the action is nothing completely new. The dialogue and character interactions were great though.

But I wouldn't really jump the gun and call it overrated based on its IMDB rating though - it's normal for hyped films to spike in ratings there early on, give it a few months and we'll see it settle somewhere (usually lower) - then we'll know if it's overrated.
I can't comment on groundhog day as I've seen the beginning at least 3 times but never watched the end. Oh the irony. I always get up to the part where he tries to kill himself
1. Titanic
2. Titanic
3. Titanic
4. Titanic

I could keep on going like this...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
1. The King's Speech
2. Avatar
3. Napoleon Dynamite
Reply 328
My top ten would be:

1. Avatar - I'll agree there were some amazing graphics. I'll definitely give them that. And the work gone into a new world, I liked that too. But the plot wasn't all that interesting, I found it far too like pocahontis for my own liking.

2. Terminator 2 - There is so much praise for the action of this movie, but it just seemed to lack all the interesting plot twists that it could have had.

3. Psycho - I figured it out within the first few minutes of seeing her killed. After that it just became dreadfully long and boring.

4. Bridesmaids - There was so much fuss for this movie when it first came out. As a comedy, it was truly terrible!

5. Mamma Mia - I'm usually a big musical fan, but this film was nothing, i not, annoying.

6. Titanic - This is one of those movies that when I watched the first time I loved, and cried at with everyone else. But then after growing older and more cynical I realised that its story was nothing particularly special, and people were somehow running in the sky when the boat was sinking!!

7 - Paranormal Activity - Yes it was a little different, but no so more than The Blair Witch Project, and it just all looked so cheap, and quite frankly not scary at all.

8 - Shakespeare in Love - Ok, so now everyones forgotten about it, but it was a huge deal at the time. It got an oscar over American History X and The Big Lebowski!!! It was ridiculous, and quite frankly has not dated very well.

9 - Braveheart - This is another that was a huge deal when it first came out. It was historical inaccurate, which I can usually excuse, as it makes good cinema but they just made it worse!!! As Mel Gibson flicks go...I'd rather watch "what women want."

10 - Wall-E - It was boring. The first 40 minutes are excruciatingly boring, the rest merely mediocre. It was all a big deal about how it taught us a lesson about humanity, but really what 5 year old is interested in that. Hated it.
I have to disagree. I loved Pan's Labrynth. :biggrin:
Reply 330
Original post by The BigET

1. Avatar - I'll agree there were some amazing graphics. I'll definitely give them that. And the work gone into a new world, I liked that too. But the plot wasn't all that interesting, I found it far too like pocahontis for my own liking.

2) LOTR part1-so long and ridiculous. Every character speaks in an exaggerated fashion.

It's a fantasy epic set in a Medieval-like time, they are supposed to speak like that. In what way is it 'ridiculous'?

5. Pans Labyrinth. Just because it aint Hollywood doesn't mean that it's decent and original. So what if the ending is sad? Star wars episode 3 was sad but it was still ****e. Oh and that humming song at the end. So cheap. I saw it coming the first time I heard it. Such a cheap sympathy device.

Sympathy device? As if a child being shot wasn't going to be sympathetic enough for some people.

6. Princess Monoke. I actually like Studio Ghibli. I really do. However, there is so much going on in this film and with so little focus that it's hard to care about how it comes together. Just because a plot is complicated or diverse doesn't mean it's great.

I was with you until now, or at least I accepted that you just had a differing opinion from me, but now I think you are just trolling. A 5 year old could understand that film, it has the most simple plot possible: a boy leaves his village home and goes to see what is happening in the world, which is that humans are destroying nature and fighting with each other. It doesn't get much more simple than that. How in God's name could you find it complicated?

8. Groundhog Day. The morale of the story is really ****ed up but in an unobvious way. Throughout the film I just kept thinking what the main character did wrong to deserve such a fate (the day repeats over and over). The guy isn't a rapist, a murderer or a drug dealer. He is just an average grumpy guy.

That's the whole point. Everyone is going through the world not knowing what will happen next. He is supposed to be an average guy, it's not a punishment for anything, he is supposed to learn that abandoning his selfish behaviour and making the world a better place for others is the correct way. How could you ever teach that to a criminal?
Reply 332
Original post by The BigET

2. Terminator 2 - There is so much praise for the action of this movie, but it just seemed to lack all the interesting plot twists that it could have had.

4. Bridesmaids - There was so much fuss for this movie when it first came out. As a comedy, it was truly terrible!

What sort of plot twists would you have put in the film if you were making it?
They befriend the T-1000 and invite him home for tea and biscuits?
but there is an alternate ending on the director's cut showing Sarah Connor in 2027 making a tape recording on the fact that there were no nuclear weapons used on Judgment Day.

Who on earth said Bridesmaids was good? the girls at your workplace? It looks like pure crap just going by the trailer.
Pulp Fiction is the most overrated film of all time
Op is a troll, look at the ****ty list of movies he said he actually liked, you all got trolled.

Anyway, the Godfather is boring, people bang on about it just because it's the Godfather, but really, movie sucks.
The Dark Knight.

I hated how over complicated and implausible the plot got. In fact the whole film features ridiculous scenes from the start. Remember the scene where the bus pulls out of the bank? How would nobody notice that?
Reply 336
Original post by noggins
What sort of plot twists would you have put in the film if you were making it?
They befriend the T-1000 and invite him home for tea and biscuits?
but there is an alternate ending on the director's cut showing Sarah Connor in 2027 making a tape recording on the fact that there were no nuclear weapons used on Judgment Day.

Who on earth said Bridesmaids was good? the girls at your workplace? It looks like pure crap just going by the trailer.

I'm sure you have a true insight into the tastes of the girls at his workplace. And Bridesmaids is actually a very funny film, not the 'pure crap' the trailer suggested to you.
The Godfather is the best film ever. Your taste in film must be awful. I appreciate that folk have different tastes, but even if you don't like something, you can still appreciate it.
Reply 338
You can add Avengers to this list now.

First half was boring and was far too long than it needed to be. The action was okay but the humour was dreadful. Hardly anyone in the cinema laughed.
Reply 339
Original post by Revoked_Tangerine
Pulp Fiction is the most overrated film of all time

Why? Let me guess, because you 'didn't understand it'? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending