The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PJ991
can you print from wifi/eduroam if I was to take my laptop in? I doubt I'll get a PC anywhere.

yes.

you could also print from home, if you remember the printer code

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/students/windows/wts/access
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2161
Original post by arcl
yes.

you could also print from home, if you remember the printer code

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/students/windows/wts/access

thanks very much! if only I knew which printer to pick.

Do you know which one would be in either the basement of Foster Court, Science Library or the Main library? 'ClusterMonoA4' seems familiar, I'm sure I've seen that everytime I've printed. Others seem more obvious, but what if they don't let me into the Cruciform, which I'm guessing is crucilibps.
Original post by PJ991

Do you know which one would be in either the basement of Foster Court, Science Library or the Main library? 'ClusterMonoA4' seems familiar, I'm sure I've seen that everytime I've printed. Others seem more obvious, but what if they don't let me into the Cruciform, which I'm guessing is crucilibps.

ClusterMonoA4 is the basic single-sided printer code, from where you can go to any release station to get your prints. ClusterMonoDuplexA4 for double-sided, and ClusterColourA4 for colour prints (obv need to be done at a colour printer)

Worth noting though that in for example the Science Library cluster there are plenty of available PCs during the day and evening, perhaps with the exception of weekends (Sundays are especially busy because of the opening hours).
Original post by PJ991

I usually send it to the ChemEng cluster.

Mostly because I know where it is and I usually have to pass by the Roberts building anyway....

but what rockrunride said also works.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the library to buy a textbook for their collection?
Reply 2165
You can suggest a book for them to buy

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/suggest.shtml

It doesn't say much on there, but on the UCL Queen Square library bit (is that a medicine library maybe? it has the NHS logo on the site anyway) it says "Wherever possible we will buy the books you suggest, but we are constrained by the limits of our budget"
Original post by PJ991
You can suggest a book for them to buy

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/suggest.shtml

It doesn't say much on there, but on the UCL Queen Square library bit (is that a medicine library maybe? it has the NHS logo on the site anyway) it says "Wherever possible we will buy the books you suggest, but we are constrained by the limits of our budget"

Thanks, done. They even offer to reserve the £80 book I've requested so I can have it first if they do get it in. Fingers crossed!
Original post by PJ991
(is that a medicine library maybe? it has the NHS logo on the site anyway)

For future reference, it's the site of national hospital for neurology and neurosurgery - ucl has a medical school teaching site based there afaik.
Reply 2168
I think Queen Square has the MRI scanner, right? I got to play in one in first year, creepy/awesome to be in it, and just plain awesome to see my brain.
Reply 2169
How long do you go in them for?

I applied for one of the experiments last week or something, but I haven't heard back :frown:
One-day turnaround between exams. First exam revision has dominated so much that I've literally started revising for tomorrow's film exam today. Though I did make a couple of safeguards, like saving a film I did a presentation on in class for the exam rather than writing about it in an essay.
And.. it's not like watching films and reading critics' notes takes up nearly as much time as rereading novels and criticism.

Still, living life on the edge. Blaming UCL of course.
Reply 2171
If you fail a subject, do you have to retake all the assessments? I couldn't find any answer to this.
You just redo the ones you fail (in November I think) and if you can't start your second year alongside the module(s) because of time constraints then you have to take the whole year. 'Pass' is a really misleading term in humanities; 40 is a pass but most people don't consider anything below 50 to be worth anything and much of the time now getting under 60 overall won't get you a 'graduate job'. Spanish literally only fail people for not writing anything on an exam paper, as it's not worth their hassle to keep making students resit. Exam papers are marked anonymously so I doubt lecturers know which members of their classes don't do well unless it's obvious. If you're worried an exam went badly chances are you'll pass, though I think anyone at all would rather fail than get a 40.
Reply 2173
Original post by PJ991
How long do you go in them for?

I applied for one of the experiments last week or something, but I haven't heard back :frown:

I think I was in there for about an hour or so. It was an experiment to test whether people are more cautious gambling their own money or someone else's. So I did about four or five ten minute sessions pressing buttons to answer questions (with a few minutes break in between each session) and then a ten minute scan to show my normal brain function.

The people there are really nice, and the money is a plus.
Reply 2174
I know a few people who failed exams in Italian. They just resat them. But I think there's a cap on your results if you resit, so you can't get any more than 40%, or they automatically deduct a certain percentage from your result. Makes sense, otherwise everyone who didn't study would fail on purpose.

Although in first year I was trying to fail a module (there was a second year course that I really didn't want to do, and single honours meant there was a high chance I'd be given it) and still got 53% haha.
That's depressing, since in first year I got 53 for Use of French and actually did try. Maybe.. should have done more work though :o:

Two exams, six days left. Then I sign outta here and warm up the alumni thread! Since I am the OP I reserve the right to break my own rule and post in here when I want :pierre:
Reply 2176
Oh believe me, it was just that the course was a ridiculous doss. Well, mainly. It was one of those annoying courses where most of the course is linguistics-for-toddlers level of easy, and then the rest is completely incomprehensible. Especially when it was English Linguistics taught by an Italian with a shaky grasp of English. So failing is almost impossible, but getting a high 2.1/First is equally impossible.

Use of French seems to be a bitch. Pretty much everyone in our year came out depressed as hell, and no one did particularly well in it if I remember right.

God, I'll be freaking out when I graduate. I'm having a mini crisis over turning 22 yesterday, nevermind officially being a proper adult with a job.
Reply 2177
Original post by Lizia
Oh believe me, it was just that the course was a ridiculous doss. Well, mainly. It was one of those annoying courses where most of the course is linguistics-for-toddlers level of easy, and then the rest is completely incomprehensible. Especially when it was English Linguistics taught by an Italian with a shaky grasp of English. So failing is almost impossible, but getting a high 2.1/First is equally impossible.

Use of French seems to be a bitch. Pretty much everyone in our year came out depressed as hell, and no one did particularly well in it if I remember right.

God, I'll be freaking out when I graduate. I'm having a mini crisis over turning 22 yesterday, nevermind officially being a proper adult with a job.

Seems we attended the same course :tongue: I only found pragmatics a bit harder...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hhanr
I've started to look like a racoon because of how early you have to get to the library to get a seat (I'm not a morning person).

Early? I guess you can argue 12 am is early, but that's how I get a seat. Not that I'm getting much more sleep XD
Reply 2179
Original post by Ivanka
Seems we attended the same course :tongue: I only found pragmatics a bit harder...

Probably not since mine was an Italian department course, but I find it easy to believe there's more than one course that meets me description! :lol:

Quick Reply