The Student Room Group

AS Aspects of narrative exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tweak6
What I"ve noticed about Section A part b is that the question tends to have some connection to the chapter- like if the chapter has the Valley of Ashes they ask about setting, or if it has Gatsby's party they ask about glamour/wealth. So if thats any help...

Im hoping 6 or 7 come up, but I was going to study the others just in case :wink:

I was reading examiner reports the other day, apparently they always try to make a connection between the two parts of the question to make our lives a little easier. :smile: I don't think setting has ever come up?
Reply 61
anyone have any notes for Ch 1 on Gatsby? I'll help with anything in return :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Tweak6
Hmm I think maybe symbolism but I don't really know- what topics havent come up in a while?

I wouldn't mind symbolism to be honest :smile:. Voices and Points view are the only named aspects of narrative that haven't turned up in some form or another yet I think...would actually prefer voices or POV lol. Openings is apparently a potential one according to my teacher.
Reply 63
Original post by pennyy
You're probably right, I'm going to revise the first chapters that came up as well, in case they throw in that curveball. I hate questions that are just loosely related to the entire novel - like the one about Nick being an annoying narrator, or Gatsby's dream giving meaning and value to human experience...

are any of you studying Enduring Love or Auden? What would you write if a part B question on symbolism came up?

What would I do? I would cry. I asked my teacher about symbolism in Enduring Love and she kind of gave a non answer, so I really don't know what I would put. If anybody else knows symbolism in Enduring Love feel free to share!
Im hoping for a Voices question personally.
Reply 64
me tooo :frown: I was thinking about it, and I can't find any symbolism in Enduring Love, despite the obvious Joe symbolises science, Clarissa symbolises art.... etc. When you say voices, do you mean like narrators? Or would it be choric voices?:smile:
Reply 65
Is anyone willing to share notes on small island?. In desperate need of some :frown:
I'm retaking this exam (boo AQA)

and i'm revising voice, but i'm stuck on what to say for the Patriot by Browning.. other than the obvious having his POV makes us sympathise and its biased because we don't know what he does... universalises the poem etcetc. Any ideas on any other voice aspects of this poem? :confused:
Reply 67
Original post by Groat
Would people appreciate me uploading answers to the June 2011 exam that contributed to a 120/120 UMS script?

Please do! :smile:
Original post by Groat
As requested.

Thank you for uploading this! If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for this exam?
Reply 69
Original post by Buongiorno
Thank you for uploading this! If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for this exam?

I prepared essays for all the untested Gatsby chapters and learnt them. Other than that, just practicing technique and planning essays.
Reply 70
Anyone want the January 2012 LITB1 paper? I've got the mark scheme for it is anyones intrested :smile: Also, would anyone be kind enough to look over an essay or two of mine and judge it? Cos my english teacher marks kind of harshly :frown:
Reply 71
Original post by Groat
I prepared essays for all the untested Gatsby chapters and learnt them. Other than that, just practicing technique and planning essays.

thank you so much for these :smile: you studied Tennyson, right? Do you possibly have any notes for Ulysses, Tithonus and the Lotus Eaters? :smile: x
Reply 72
Original post by pennyy
thank you so much for these :smile: you studied Tennyson, right? Do you possibly have any notes for Ulysses, Tithonus and the Lotus Eaters? :smile: x

I did, but haven't got the notes anymore. Sorry!
Reply 73
Original post by Groat
I did, but haven't got the notes anymore. Sorry!

no problem, thank you anyway :smile:
I'm doing a plan for the Specimen Paper question -how do they make the beginning of their texts exciting.

Enduring Love is fairly straight forward for this but what would you say for The Great Gatsby or Hardy?
So far for Gatsby I have that he creates a sense of mystery - Nick is inconsistant and contradicts himself, mentions Gatsby in a romanticised way and that he couldn't face the East anymore without explaining anything about the events which happened. Not sure I could write for 20 minutes on it though?
Also for Hardy I wouldn't know where to start :/
Anyone done this question? :smile: Thanks!
Original post by Kimiechi
So my teacher told us today that she was wrong, apparently Part IV never has come up, so you were right :biggrin:

Wooh :biggrin: I really thought I had read it wrong. Well I'm still being cautious and making flashcards with key aspects for each Part. I'm rather reluctant to use Rime as Section A. The past two Section A.B/odd numbers have been rather difficult.
Original post by AbsolutePotOfKurry
I'm retaking this exam (boo AQA)

and i'm revising voice, but i'm stuck on what to say for the Patriot by Browning.. other than the obvious having his POV makes us sympathise and its biased because we don't know what he does... universalises the poem etcetc. Any ideas on any other voice aspects of this poem? :confused:

Fellow resitter *Hi 5*
I've not studied Browning but if it is revelant I fairly sure you can mention the significance of the omission of voices. Can I ask quickly, does voice include the vernacular characters use?

Original post by ash9002
I wouldn't mind symbolism to be honest :smile:. Voices and Points view are the only named aspects of narrative that haven't turned up in some form or another yet I think...would actually prefer voices or POV lol. Openings is apparently a potential one according to my teacher.

What is the remit of opening? Opening chapters? First stanza? Or is it up to the candidate. Symbolism is just :s-smilie:
Original post by Dodecahedron
Fellow resitter *Hi 5*
I've not studied Browning but if it is revelant I fairly sure you can mention the significance of the omission of voices. Can I ask quickly, does voice include the vernacular characters use?

What is the remit of opening? Opening chapters? First stanza? Or is it up to the candidate. Symbolism is just :s-smilie:

Erm.. i'm a n00b at quoting..

I'm pretty sure it does, and even if it wasn't your main point, it could potentially be like an 'add-on' so to say in the explanation.. perhaps the language used by a particular voice is central. For example, in the Kite Runner there are a lot of arabic words integrated into their speech such as 'Agha' and 'Jan' which are terms of endearment that reflect the culture they have (as well as the hierarchy of cultures, the personalities of characters etcetc) and perhaps wouldn't be so effective when translated... You might not have studied this but I hope you can apply it xD I'm hoping that answered your vernacular Q :colondollar:

As for openings, it's usually left up to the candidate. Don't go crazy like Chp5 or something, but openings generally mean the first stanza, the first 10 lines (depending on length of poem) or the first chapter :smile:

Did your AS paper get double marked before you got your result?
Original post by Groat
As requested.

Are these your whole answers, or parts of answers extracted from full answers? :smile:
Reply 79
Really stuck for ideas on symbolism for tennyson and hardy poems :frown: anyone got any? Would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest