The Student Room Group

EU Bloc - VOTE on Switzerland becoming a full member of the EU

Hi all,
Switzerland would like to become a full member of the EU enjoying full member state privileges. You have four days to vote on this. If unanimously approved, the HoC will then need to ratify an ascension treaty. I'm aware that the system doesn't work like this in real life, but having more flexibility might help the system because there's no time frame between moving between each level. A 100% Aye vote is required for Switzerland to become a full member.

You can now vote,

toronto353

Acting Secretariat

PierceBrosnan

QFA
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Before voting, Finland wishes to ask the Swiss representative why it wants full membership of the EU, and what it will do with it?
Reply 2
OOC: I favour applicant status being granted.
Reply 3
Original post by Morgsie
OOC: I favour applicant status being granted.

OOC: Once ratified, we'll have to look at this issue.
Reply 4
Original post by toronto353
OOC: Once ratified, we'll have to look at this issue.

OOC: I am in favour but one step at a time.
Reply 5
Original post by Morgsie
OOC: I am in favour but one step at a time.

OOC: We'll change to applicant status then.

thunder_chunky

QFA

Could you edit the poll to read:

Do you support Switzerland becoming an applicant member of the EU?
OOC: Just to clear up my huge confusion at this, can I vote in any of these polls? I'm the representative for Iceland but am not currently a full member of the EU.
Reply 7
Original post by HarveyCanis
OOC: Just to clear up my huge confusion at this, can I vote in any of these polls? I'm the representative for Iceland but am not currently a full member of the EU.

OOC: Unfortunately you can't vote. You are free to debate any motion such as the ones in the main thread and ask questions in any vote though and should Iceland wish to upgrade her member status, then that will allow her full voting rights.
Bulgaria supports Switzerland's bid for accession into the European Union.
OOC:
Could you edit the poll to read:

Do you support Switzerland becoming an applicant member of the EU?

[ooc] Done. I'll be sending out an accouncement on this and on the Secretariat position later today. Have you had any responses at all? [/ooc]
Reply 10
Original post by thunder_chunky
[ooc] Done. I'll be sending out an accouncement on this and on the Secretariat position later today. Have you had any responses at all? [/ooc]

ooc: I've had a few read receipt returns and the odd post in the other thread. :smile:
Original post by DebatingGreg
Before voting, Finland wishes to ask the Swiss representative why it wants full membership of the EU, and what it will do with it?

A perfectly valid question from our Finnish friend. As one of the EU's closest partners politically and economically we feel it would value the European Union more to have a country like Switzerland to join. As a country that practices Direct Democracy we can show other countries that our system works effectively as well. Furthermore, as we're politically and economically tied to the European Union we would be happy to vote on measures that will benefit not just the EU but the rest of the world. We believe that by having us at full member status, we will also influence other sceptical nations within the European continent to have a greater role with the European Union.
Reply 12
Original post by PierceBrosnan
A perfectly valid question from our Finnish friend. As one of the EU's closest partners politically and economically we feel it would value the European Union more to have a country like Switzerland to join. As a country that practices Direct Democracy we can show other countries that our system works effectively as well. Furthermore, as we're politically and economically tied to the European Union we would be happy to vote on measures that will benefit not just the EU but the rest of the world. We believe that by having us at full member status, we will also influence other sceptical nations within the European continent to have a greater role with the European Union.

OOC: Just to inform you, it's applicant member you're applying for at the moment because, following RL, that is the first step. :smile:
OOC: Just to inform you, it's applicant member you're applying for at the moment because, following RL, that is the first step. :smile:

OOC: Perfectly legitimate :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by PierceBrosnan
OOC: Perfectly legitimate :smile:
:fyi: I pointed it out. OOC: RL Swiss/EU Relations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland–European_Union_relations

I am in favour of applicant status being granted
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Sweeden votes in favour.

OOC: Potential future amendment but it should really be a super-majority rather than 100%.
Reply 16
The Holy See wishes Switzerland well in its bid for applicant status.
Reply 17
Latvia having previously had a spat with Switzerland over the Falklands is willing to fully support Switzerland's applicant status to the EU. Switzerland is in Latvia's eyes a totally unique character in Europe and there will need to be discussion on whether some of its laws and economic practices can be in line with EU members.
Original post by frankayak
Latvia having previously had a spat with Switzerland over the Falklands is willing to fully support Switzerland's applicant status to the EU. Switzerland is in Latvia's eyes a totally unique character in Europe and there will need to be discussion on whether some of its laws and economic practices can be in line with EU members.

I'm glad that Latvia, despite having a spat with Switzerland considers our interests.
Reply 19
Original post by thunder_chunky

OOC: Could you check that none of the votes are from non-EU countries please? If they are, could you remove them please?

Quick Reply

Latest