The Student Room Group

Is Costco worth membership?

I am elegible for a Costco card.

I have not been in there before but was just wondering if anyone else has it?

Is it worth it for students? Thinking of just buying **** loads of tinned tuna and baked beans etc. As well as other stuff like washing powder.

Do they only do branded items or do they have like beans for 8p a can with just "Beans" written on them!

Thanks for the info.

Jeester
I have one but I'm provided with one by the company I work for.

I've found it really useful for things like toilet paper and household items. These are usually really cheap. They do branded items mostly but some of these are cheap branded items. Costco won't always be the cheapest place though as supermarkets tend to buy in such bulk that they can offer cheaper foods than costco anyway. If you're looking for cheap I suggest aldi or lidl. You also won't save much on booze, it's usually cheaper in asda or morrisons depending on where the deals are.
Reply 2
Original post by SummerAnthems
I have one but I'm provided with one by the company I work for.

I've found it really useful for things like toilet paper and household items. These are usually really cheap. They do branded items mostly but some of these are cheap branded items. Costco won't always be the cheapest place though as supermarkets tend to buy in such bulk that they can offer cheaper foods than costco anyway. If you're looking for cheap I suggest aldi or lidl. You also won't save much on booze, it's usually cheaper in asda or morrisons depending on where the deals are.

I'll be living opposite and Aldi next year anyway so I think I may just stick to that. Combined with the travel to and from it doesn't sound like much of a saving.
Thanks for the post
Reply 3
I agree with the above however Aldi is not that cheap anymore. You're better off looking at individual supermarket adverts to get the best deals.
The only thing I like about Aldi is the 39p fruit and veg however this is not always that good and can be poor quality. The other thing is the lack of choice in the store.

Worth a look though. Costco in comparison looks cheap however when you add vat it can be more expensive than supermarkets so take a calculator (plus factor in membership costs).
Reply 4
sure as hell cant hurt? cheap and cheerful goodies in bulk :biggrin:
Costco is great for toiletries and meat. Their fresh meat works out cheaper than the supermarkets and tastes amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending